How were the ligature cords cut and the paintbrush handle broken?

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by koldkase, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Elle

Elle Member

cynic,

I go with the confirmation of the paintbrush handle being a prop because pulling the handle would have ripped JonBenét's hair out.

2. cynic

cynic Member

I added some dimensions to the brush:
    I do have a guess as to what the length of the metal portion (ferrule and heel) is but because of quality issues I can't be sure. It's probably between 1.25 and 1.5 inches, though.
    The brush handle is quite thin in diameter, only slightly thicker than a typical pen, (and slightly shorter.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  3. cynic

cynic Member

I purchased paintbrushes a couple of days ago to gain some perspective on size with respect to the 3/8 inch diameter paintbrush used in the crime.
    In the picture below are a ½ inch diameter by 13 inch long and a 3/8 inch diameter by 12½ inch long paintbrush along with a common 5/16 inch diameter x 6 inch long pen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cynic

cynic Member

In the videos below I attempted to break my 3/8 inch diameter paintbrush into an approximation of the handle found with JonBenet. Breaking off the metal ferrule end was a bit difficult but not overly so.
    Breaking the other end was very easy but produced a lot of splintering.
    I would have to spend some time with a knife cleaning the splinters away in order to replicate the smoothness of the crime scene brush handle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olvrkvA5HHg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88a-7Y_qQ4w

5. cynic

cynic Member

Here are a couple of pictures from my paintbrush experiment:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Very well done, cynic.

I have to tell you that I don't think I could create those breaks with my hands, having woman hands rather than big strong ones like you, I mean. :winko:

So watching this, I'd say a woman couldn't do that, or at least, an average, not too athletic one. I also doubt a child could, even within a few weeks of turning 10.

BUT...thing is, looking at the end of the paintbrush used in the ligature, the ferrule appears to be flattened and twisted...though the picture quality is such that I may be wrong about that.

[​IMG]

Though there is already a "dent" manufactured into the ferrule:

[​IMG]

Still, the broken ferrule appears to be flatter than that one indention--or are my eyes misreading the bad pictures?

So maybe Elle is right, and it was put into a door or drawer to break?

Or maybe it was stepped on and twisted to bread there? In which case, maybe a woman or 10 year old could do it? Or did it?

Just an observation, but your first break with the ferrule end looks more like the break at the end of the "garrote" handle--little splintering, even a slight bevel on both yours and the "handle."

Hm. Lots to ponder. And thanks so much for going to all this trouble. I've thought about it many times, but I love paintbrushes so I couldn't bring myself to break mine. :blush:

I have to say, more and more it's appearing to me Patsy is the only one the evidence from that night continues to lead to consistently.

7. icedtea4me

icedtea4me Member

I can't help but think that Patsy was trying to clue Haney in on the knife having been used on the pineapple.

This is what I believe what happened: Patsy goes upstairs from the basement and grabs the first sharp implement she can think of--the kitchen knife she used earlier. The knife is used on the cord. She goes back upstairs with the knife up to the second floor. She places the knife on JonBenet's bed and cord fibers are deposited onto the sheets via secondary transfer. She grabs a blue elastic ponytail holder, picks the knife off the bed, and goes over to the laundry area. (I do not believe for one moment that JonBenet had her hair in a ponytail at the nape of her neck when she was at the Whites' house.) The knife is placed on the counter, the Swiss Army knife is retrieved from the cabinet above. She then returns to the basement with the new knife and ponytail holder.

8. Elle

Elle Member

KK and cynic,

Just broke one of my art brushes with the basement door, and you know being a Senior I couldn't have snapped it with my hands. I Photographed it but I am stymied with windows 7. I used Irfanview for reducing the size when posting a photograh in FFJ with Windows XP which I still prefer. hate W7. [​IMG] It's probably too large. Didn't take long to break it between the metal part of the door where it locks. The metal edge was sharp where the lock is.

I'll try it and see how it goes. Oh help it may blow the FJ margin! (?).
    I did try the XC and V code cynic but it wouldn't work for me. So sorry folks!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2012
  9. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

No problem, Elle. I resized it for you. Thanks for doing the experiment and posting the photo!

10. Elle

Elle Member

Thank you kindly Cherokee. Just couldn't resist breaking one of my own paint brushes with a door. :) I have many more!

P.S. Please note boys and girls, this was a wooden door I used.

11. cynic

cynic Member

Excellent work, Elle! - thank you.

You produced a remarkably close break to what we see in the crime scene photo.
    Here is the comparison:

[​IMG]

12. cynic

cynic Member

Quick question, Elle, did you break the other end of your brush as well?
    If you didn’t may I trouble you to do so, it would be interesting to see if you get a cleaner break than I did. I had a lot of splintering in my experiment.
    Also, the brush that you broke, was it a 3/8” (or 9.5 millimeter) diameter brush?

13. cynic

cynic Member

Elle, sorry to hear that Windows 7 is causing you grief. I would be glad to help with any issues involving that – feel free to PM me if you wish.
    With respect to resizing pictures, I use Photoshop or Corel Draw for most of my work, but Paint which is included with all versions of Win7 will do the job easily.
    I made a little video showing how it’s done and put it on YouTube for you.
    In the video I resized a 1200 pixel wide photo down to 700 pixels and that is generally a good width, 600 to 800 pixels or so.
    The explanation along with the video is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiYPq1LGZt8

To resize a picture using Paint:
    Open Paint by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, and then clicking Paint.
    Click the Paint button , click Open, click the picture you want to resize, and then click Open.
    On the Home tab, in the Image group, click Resize.
    In the Resize and Skew dialog box, select the Maintain aspect ratio check box so that the resized picture will have the same aspect ratio as the original picture.
    If the Maintain aspect ratio check box is selected, you only need to enter the horizontal value (width) or vertical value (height). The other box in the Resize area is updated automatically.
    To resize the picture so it's a specific size, click Pixels, and then enter a new width in the Horizontal box or new height in the Vertical box.
    Click the Paint button , point to Save as, and then click the picture file type for the resized image.
    Type a new file name in the File name box, and then click Save.
    Or if you prefer, simply click save and your original picture will be replaced with the resized version.

14. Elle

Elle Member

Thank you, cynic for taking the time to do this. I can see the similarity here. I tried to find a brush about the same size. I did have a few other photos, but thought this was the best one.

Just noticed your post above about resizing etc.. You are a sweetheart for posting this. Thank you. Never had any problems with this until I left windows XP.

15. Elle

Elle Member

No. cynic, I just broke the brush end. It was a No.8 - 1/2" Winsor & Newton. I'll try breaking the tail end and see what happens.

16. cynic

cynic Member

Thanks for noticing - LOL :viking:
    I would agree with you with respect to the ferrule end, but the other end was very easy to break, IMO.
    The picture quality is nothing short of terrible, who knows what the actual shape is???
    As you can see, she was very successful using her method.
    Today, I tried stepping on another brush to make the break, but perhaps because I was wearing running shoes with a lot of flex in the heel, I just ended up twisting the ferrule.
    It was closer but nothing compared to Elle's break.
    It's an unhealthy relationship you've got there. :poke: :D
    ITA

17. Elle

Elle Member

cynic,

My hat is off to you and KK for the time taken to post all the photographs you have used. Once again, please excuse me for disliking Windows 7 and not progressing with it.

Cherokee, before I post these, I hope you will help me out again. Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2012
  18. Elle

Elle Member

This one doesn't look too bad! Different angle! My edit button for the post above didn't appear. I can't edit it, Cherokee. :(

Cynic, one thing I should mention. The tail end of this brush didn't break on the first two tries because of it being thinner than the other end, it could bend easier because of the strong painted coating which gave it extra strength and allowing it to bend easily.

Attached Files:

19. cynic

cynic Member

My hat's off to you for all your efforts and for the sacrifice of your brushes. Thanks.
    I used your latest picture for this comparison:

[​IMG]

20. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

I think you've cracked it, Elle. So to speak.... :lol:

So I was exactly wrong...and the ferrule actually is so strong, it caused the paintbrush to break ABOVE the metal rather than AT the metal, even at the fattest part of the brush.

Oh, good job, Elle! So sorry you broke your paintbrushes, though. :cry:

Good job, TEAM GUTTAH! I swear, the BPD should hire us and maybe they'd get this case solved.

Oh, wait...that's just what they DON'T want. :tsktsk:

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice