Here's Johnny......

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, Aug 30, 2006.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4955287,00.html

Ramsey hasn't lost faith in DA
    JonBenet's dad views news conference at home of attorney

By Charlie Brennan, Rocky Mountain News
    August 30, 2006

On one side of the television screen as John Ramsey and Lin Wood watched Mary Lacy's news conference was the Boulder district attorney, discussing the suspect who got away.

On the other side of the split screen was video snippets of Ramsey's daughter, dancing for the cameras at various child pageants.

Seeing it all for the thousandth time - whatever the occasion - doesn't get any easier for John Ramsey.

The pageants, said Ramsey attorney Wood, represented a very small part of JonBenet's six years of life. The infamous videos were taken - and ultimately sold - by pageant organizers, not the Ramseys.

"You're sitting there beside a man, and you know they're talking about his daughter, and that's tough," Wood said.

"I can't imagine what goes through John's mind, and I can't say enough about how much I respect his ability to deal with this ongoing tragedy in his life."

Ramsey watched Tuesday's news conference, in which Lacy explained her decision to arrest, then not to charge John Mark Karr in JonBenet's death, at Wood's Atlanta home.

Ramsey and Patsy Ramsey had been briefed by Lacy in May about the lead Boulder investigators were hotly pursuing concerning Karr, 41.

On Aug. 2, little more than a month after Patsy Ramsey's death from ovarian cancer, John Ramsey traveled to Boulder to review e-mails and listen to taped phone calls between Karr and University of Colorado journalism professor Michael Tracey, in which Karr offered detailed confessions to the notorious Christmas 1996 murder.

Ramsey didn't recognize Karr's voice and didn't recall ever crossing paths with the only suspect ever arrested - then cleared - in JonBenet's slaying.

But he praised the work of Lacy's staff at the time of Karr's arrest. And he stands by the beleaguered Boulder district attorney, Wood said.

"He absolutely maintains his confidence in Mary Lacy and her team, and he appreciates the effort that they have made in recent months," Wood said.

"He is convinced that Mary Lacy very much wants to find the killer of his daughter."

As Wood and Ramsey watched Tuesday's news conference, Wood said he was surprised to hear Lacy express a sense of being "overwhelmed" with the media attention generated by Karr's Aug. 16 arrest in Thailand, and everything that followed.

"I would have expected that the district attorney's office, and anyone remotely connected in the last 10 years, would have recognized the media and public reaction to an arrest in the JonBenet Ramsey murder would be, as it was proven to be, off the charts, in terms of its intensity," said Wood.

And as for whether Lacy's explanation for her actions will wash with the viewing public, Wood's jury is still out.

"I would think it was persuasive to an objective viewer in establishing that there was legitimate law enforcement basis for arresting Karr," said Wood.

"But unfortunately, I'm not sure that an arrest in the JonBenet Ramsey case is going to be judged by the same criteria as an arrest in a case of significantly less profile."

Wood and Ramsey both thought Lacy acquitted herself well Tuesday.

However, Wood said, "she's in a no-win situation because regardless of the legitimacy of the arrest, she's just not going to be afforded any benefit of the doubt."

And like many in the public, Wood said that when he finally had a chance to examine the contents of the voluminous e-mails in which Karr made incriminating comments about the crime, he had expected to see something linking Karr to the crime more definitively.

"I was surprised," said Wood. "I thought that perhaps the e-mail exchanges would have contained some more specific information."

Wood understands Lacy's reasons for arresting Karr - an arrest that will yield no prosecution in one of the most perplexing crimes in Colorado history.

But Wood said, "I'm not sure it is going to be deemed sufficient in the eyes of many, simply because this is the JonBenet Ramsey case."

brennanc@RockyMountainNews.com or 303-954-2742

Copyright 2006, Rocky Mountain News. All Rights Reserved.

2. RiverRat

'Intruder theory' suffers setback
    'We're back to square one with this thing,' ex-FBI profiler says

By Todd Hartman, Rocky Mountain News
    August 30, 2006

Those advocating the theory that an intruder broke into JonBenet Ramsey's house, took the little girl from her bed and asphyxiated her are trudging back to the drawing board after the collapse of the case against John Mark Karr.

What comes next, they say, depends on how vigorously the Boulder County District Attorney's Office continues to pursue the case - and with how many resources. Some investigators fear that the DA might get gun-shy.

"What I see happening, they're going to go back into the mode of waiting until somebody gets arrested (for another crime) and their DNA matches" the unidentified DNA found at the crime scene, said Ollie Gray, a private investigator who has long worked on behalf of the Ramseys.

Trip Demuth, a Boulder prosecutor at the time of JonBenet's death and now in private practice, shares that concern. He said it's critical that the public and District Attorney Mary Lacy put the Karr chapter behind them if there's going to be any hope of solving the case.

"I'm not saying (the way the Karr case was handled) wasn't a mistake - it was a mistake. Let's get past it, and let's get past it quickly and support the DA in continuing the investigation," DeMuth said.

"If we can't, only one person benefits, and that's the killer."

Lacy said Tuesday the case would remain active, but added: "We don't have an umbrella of suspicion at this point. Right now, we don't have a suspect we're looking at. . . . We still very much hope it will be solved at some point."

But the failure of the case against Karr "may have knocked the wind out of those folks who were riding high and wanted it to be an intruder," said Gregg McCrary, a former FBI profiler who has long believed someone within, or close to, the family is responsible for the crime.

Even so, he didn't predict any major shifts in views on the case.

"We're back to square one with this thing at this point," he said. "Some people think the Ramseys did it, some people think it's an intruder. I don't think this is going to change anybody's previously held beliefs."

Local legal analyst and radio talk-show host Craig Silverman, who describes himself as "open-minded" about the case, said with Karr out of the picture, "A lot of people are going to go right back to accusing the Ramseys. I don't think that's fair, but I think that's the reality."

Ramsey family attorney Lin Wood said the upside of the Karr ordeal was the significant public discussion of the intruder theory during the past two weeks.

"Certainly, I think the public now understands that, contrary to prior published statements by individuals who were not fully informed, there is strong DNA evidence in the case that, while not necessarily 100 percent guaranteed to answer the question of who killed this child, it is obviously considered to be a strong piece of evidence."

Retired Colorado Springs homicide Detective Lou Smit, who was brought on to help investigate the case in 1997 and became the most vocal proponent of the intruder theory, hasn't spoken publicly since Karr's arrest. But he has never wavered in his belief that JonBenet was the victim of a vicious sexual predator, not a family member.

Gray and DeMuth say the police department's focus on the Ramsey family in the initial years of the investigation left too many stones unturned. Both believe going back to review earlier suspects and follow new leads are critical steps.

"There's a lot of basic investigation that was never done, in my opinion," Gray said.

Lacy said Tuesday that, between the Boulder Police Department and the District Attorney's Office, "We've probably looked seriously at 200 people and done investigation into those 200 people. . . . There are DNA samples taken on a lot of different suspects."

But DeMuth also expressed skepticism about the effectiveness of the early phase of the investigation.

"We (on the district attorney's investigatory team) were not allowed to pursue leads that pointed in the direction of an intruder," DeMuth said.

"The police can say all they want about who they looked at. You can glance at somebody and say, 'I don't think they did it.' The police will always be able to say they looked," but it doesn't mean they did it thoroughly, he said.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4955256,00.html

3. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

This case has been "investigated" for almost 10 years; and DeMuth thinks the BPD didn't investigate intruder theory good enough, and now that the DA has investigated nothing but the intruder theory, the investigation should go on for....how long? How many more years are they going to chase their own tails investigating the intruder theory? After a while, you run out of people to investigate - that happened during the time the BPD had the case. The only suspects remaining were the ones living in the house that night.

This concept of an ongoing investigation for an intruder that doesn't exist is just another example of the lack of realism that is so pervasive in Boulder government. They live in the Outer Limits, for sure.

4. RiverRat

Trippin DaMouth is gearing up for the next election for District Attorney, WY. And guess which little Blow-Hard will the the first on her knees.....praying for his victory....

5. Watching You

Yeah, maybe she get another mug shot like she got with Hunter and Wise. Nothing like a good stiff wind to make her smile.

6. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

The :doughboy: still hasn't figured out that "objective viewer(s)" are smarter (and know the law better) than he gives them credit for (being.) He must truly believe the general public buys into his spin just because the media is afraid of being sued. What an idiot! :loser:

7. RiverRat

8. RiverRat

9. Midnight_Wolf

Midnight_Wolf Member

From what I have been reading at other forums, he is not too far off the mark. The general public has been buying the spin, and swallowing it wholesale. Is there any such thing as an objective viewer anymore? That would mean, said viewer would actully have to get up off of the couch and go and do some research. Don't count on it. What they see and hear on TV is the gospel to many. Scary isn't it?

10. tylin

tylin Banned

What a load of crappola. :yuck:

11. Watching You

You know what's REALLY scary? We hear things on the news and tabloid shows every day. Every time I hear a news report, now, I have a hard time believing anything I'm hearing, because of how I know the Ramsey case reporting has been so wrong. The media doesn't really do investigative reporting, any more. They just swallow whatever BS is easiest for them (and maybe that won't get them sued by LimpDoggie) and report it as fact.

It's outrageous.

12. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Yeah, well, maybe LACY should read her own files, and then maybe she could start DOING IT.

Remember, LACY came out and TOLD THE PRESS that SHE SUPPORTS JUDGE CARNES' OPINION THAT IT'S MORE LIKELY AN INTRUDER KILLED JONBENET.

And HOW MANY TIMES have we heard that LACY HAS THE FILES, SHE KNOWS MORE THAN WE DO, to "prove" that IT IS AN INTRUDER, NOT THE RAMSEYS?

But now we find out that LACY KNOWS LESS ABOUT THIS CASE THAN ABOUT 10,000 FORUM POSTERS? And that's NOT including READERS?

OH, come on! If Lacy NOR Bennett could read those emails and NOT KNOW the discrepancies in them in THREE MONTHS, PULEEZE tell me HOW CAN THEY STILL POINT THEIR GRUBBY SHILL FINGERS AT THE BPD and claim THEY DIDN'T DO THE INVESTIGATION RIGHT?

Lacy isn't even TRYING! Bennett is LOST! And Smit/John Ramsey/Wood, Tracey, and Laurel and Ollie are running this INTRUDER INVESTIGATION for press they couldn't BUY if they were BILL GATES!

What a farce. What a scam. What a freaking gang of child killer shills from H E L L !

13. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

You're right, WY. What we now get for true information via investigative reporting is really just propaganda given to us by PUBLIC RELATIONS SHILLS.

14. amster

amster Member

DeMuth is certainly a snippy little twit, isn't he? Ask the people, named by the Ramseys as suspects, if they were just "looked at". :lame:

15. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

Good point.

I'm afraid Lacy will keep her lame job, Tracey will reap a ton of money off a book and John Ramsey will keep up the pretension of finding the killer.

Only Tracey may have some kind of fall out from his stupid theories on various suspects.

16. South

South Member

It must really gall JR that despite all his money, power, his masters degree in marketing, his computer expertise, and the passage of 10 years, he has not been able to still the voices of reason. Lacy and her Ramseyphiles can't hold a candle to the sleuths on this forum.

17. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

I'm afraid you are correct Show Me. I'll be happy if Tracey has some consequences, but I fear the story will turn to Karr and not JonBenet and John Ramsey IMO, has never even pretended to find the killer. He's finding a wife, although I betcha that's taken care of already as well.

Lacy.............who knows?

18. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

If we can stop Tracey's insane madness with the bogus documentaries....I'll at least feel a little better.

Who know? Perhaps some reporter aching for a real story will investigate the case....most reporters are soooo lame....letting Woody tell them exactly what the RST wants them to hear.

19. Thor

Thor Active Member

According to Limp Wood tonight on Larry King, Johnny was with him in Atlanta yesterday, and is now safe and sound in Michigan again.

20. Elle

Elle Member

When Peter Boyles was talking to Tricia, he called Mary, Stacey Lacey, and I can't call her anything else now, so ... has Stacey Lacy removed John Ramsey from under the umbrella with this statement?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice