Human Remains Found in Lake Buchanan

Discussion in 'The Search for Rachel Cooke' started by "J_R", Sep 6, 2006.

1. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Is Lake Buchanan sort of weird shaped? The lake I saw on Google Earth is real curvy in several places and didn't seem very wide, but it may have just been a perspective problem on my part.

2. Wind_Walker

Wind_Walker Member

I am too new to this forum to understand how to paste a picture here. Lake Buchanan can be seen @ http://www.highlandlakes.com/lakebuchanan. It is the first lake in a series of lakes that are created by damning the Colorado River. Due to a rather severe drought here, all of the area lakes are way down. This has led to discoveries of fossils and the barrel in question. My understanding from the news is the barrel was discovered on the east central side of the lake.

Attached Files:

3. Wind_Walker

Wind_Walker Member

In my previous post, I stated I did not know how to insert an image. I apparently discovered how and did not know it until the thread was posted.

4. Wind_Walker

Wind_Walker Member

Here is a map of the area with Lake Buchanan. The lake is really west of the city of Burnet. I hope this helps you find it on Google Earth.

Attached Files:

5. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I haven't seen anything about it on the news. When I read JR's post I had the same thoughts VP expressed.

6. Watching You

Thanks, Wind Walker. The lake I was looking at is not Buchanan Lake. Now I'm on the right track.

7. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

rch Continues Near Site Where Human Remains Found

Sep 7, 2006 05:44 PM CDT

DPS divers Thursday have found more human remains in Lake Buchanan in western Burnet County. The new discovery is part of an investigation where earlier this week, a Jet Skier, found a steel drum containing human bones.

It took the divers less than an hour to find more bones and other possible evidence. With this new evidence, investigators believe they could get closer to identifying the body.

Divers began handing possible evidence to investigators who collected the items and put them into plastic bags.

They concentrated their search in an area about 20 square feet just off the shore of Council Creek South subdivision.

That's near where that Jet Skier found the rusted 55-gallon drum with remains. Those items will be added to the initial remains for DNA testing.

"We just knew there were more in the water, and we wanted to recover those skeletal remains. It's going to help in determining the identity and further the investigation," Denton Wills with Burnet County Sheriff's Office said.

"I hope they find out who this person was. Get all the evidence and put it together. And I hope there's nobody else," neighbor Frank Grubbs said.

A preliminary autopsy Wednesday failed to give investigators clues about the cause of death. All they know so far is that the remains belong to an adult, possibly submerged for a long time.

Investigators say the results could take weeks, even months.

http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=5379437

8. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Sounds like DPS is doing a good job of making sure they leave nothing behind. Hopefully, this means they will not only be able to identify the body but will be able to identify the perp(s) as well.

9. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

More Remains Found In Barrel In Lake Buchanan

Lake Buchanan Dive Seeks Evidence Related To Grisly Find

Kim Miller
    Reporting

(CBS 42) AUSTIN CBS 42's Kim Miller reports that a Texas Department of Public Safety dive team has found more body remains and evidence at an area on Lake Buchanan where a body was found on Monday in a 55-gallon drum.

Officials said the body was half-submerged in cement inside the barrel.

The Burnet County Sheriff's Office said Thursday that the age, race, and gender of the person whose remains were found have not yet been established.

The barrel was found in an area that is normally submerged, but was left exposed after the lake dropped due to dry conditions. The top had rotted off the barrel.

The body was discovered Monday by a woman on a personal watercraft.

The exact area of the dive has not been released because officials hope to preserve the crime scene, but the location is near South Council Creek.

A landowner told Miller that the bottom of the lake in the area is very muddy, making the search for evidence difficult.

Stay with CBS 42 and keyetv.com for more on this developing story.

http://keyetv.com/topstories/local_story_250155630.html

Video Link:

http://keyetv.com/video/?id=8883@keye.dayport.com

Hybrid Map Link:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=10&ll=30.654453,-98.114777&spn=0.640308,1.112366&om=1

Attached Files:

10. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Families Wait For Identification Of Found Remains

Sep 11, 2006 05:41 PM CDT

The discovery of human skeletal remains in Lake Buchanan continues to raise questions and concerns about the person's identity.

Some in Burnet County are asking whether the remains belong to someone close to home.

When a body or remains are found, investigators sometimes rely on resources which track missing persons as well as databases from area law enforcement. Many times, these new cases offer a glimmer of hope to families who've lost loved ones.

...snip

And now, a new case has caught the family's attention. On Sept. 5, authorities find human remains in a barrel filled with concrete in Lake Buchanan.

"Something happened to him, and I believe it was foul play. When something like this happens. It makes me think it is him," Donna said.

The remains could be that of 60-year-old Shirley Cowan, who has been missing since January 2001. Evidence she was possibly murdered turned up in a home she was building in Kingsland.

They could be remains of 19-year-old Rachel Cooke, missing since January 2002. She was last seen before a morning jog near her Williamson County home.

They are all possible victims of brutal crimes.

Cummings says regardless what happened, we want to find him and let it be closed," Donna said.

Families wait and watch the latest discovery wondering if this one might end their search.

http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=5392968

NOTE: There is a video at the link, which shows the dive team pulling evidence from the lake.

11. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Any news???

My stomach was doing flip-flops while I read this thread.

Dear Lord, please be with Rachel's family during this investigation. Amen.

12. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I'd think someone would know something by now.

13. Watching You

Seems like it, JC. I don't know what the hold up is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice