Stats and such

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Ploppy_Slopper, Oct 3, 2006.

1. So I've been looking around and I've found that 61% of child homicides are commited by a parent. 7% by a relative. 3% by a stranger.

Obviously strangers do kill kids. Marc Klaas' case is part of that (3%) minority and so is Mark Lunsford's.

My question is (to anyone who can work out the math), what is the percentage of children murdered by intruders, whose bodies were found WITHIN THE HOME?

2. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

If I remember rightly, the FBI stated at the beginning of the Ramsey case, and again later, that according to their statistics, there has NEVER in US history been a child homicide in the home by a pedophile who left a ransom note and staged it as a kidnapping. If you look at just the recent high profile child homicides, there isn't one where the kid was taken from the home either with a ransom note and kidnap claim left behind. Either the child is murdered in the home without a note or taken from the home to be murdered and dumped elsewhere without a note. The Ramsey case is the first in US history where a child has been murdered in the home with a ransom note and staged kidnapping left behind, and no other credible trace of an intruder. Don't forget too that, according to Meyer's autopsy report, there was evidence that JB's body was wiped down too. The remains of all the children who have been murdered, whether by parent or stranger, have never shown evidence of that.

ALL of Smit's "evidence" in support of an intruder either has been matched to a Ramsey or cannot be placed by anything other than Smit's opinion as a genuine artifact to the crime scene or left during the commission of those crimes. The footprint, the suitcase, the open basement window, the mystery panty DNA, yada yada could not possibly be dated and therefore has no case value. Both the FBI stats and the case facts say it all!

3. Thanks Deja! Thats pretty much the conclusion I was pointing to. Just wanted to see if there were any actual numbers for how frequently a child is murdered by an intruder who leaves the body within the child's home.

4. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

I can think of one: it was in Texas and the brother was almost railroaded by LE, who got him to confess under extreme duress. Turned out it was a homicidal maniac walking the streets who had the child's blood on his clothes. They knew about this man, but he said he found the clothes or some such, so they added that to the brother "getting rid" of the sweatshirt in a dumpster and the homeless guy finding it.

Or something like that. Sorry, my mind is not what it used to be. I may have that all mixed up, but the brother being the original accused and the homeless man ending up being the killer are accurate, I believe. This case is often used to debate "confessions under extreme police interrogation tactics" and how they occur. The little girl was murdered and left in the home while the rest of the family slept. No ransom note or staging, though.

There was a teen in WEST VIRGINIA raped and murdered in her bedroom next to her parents' bedroom one night by a serial rapist and killer. This was in the mid to late 80's, I think. He was the first man ever convicted on DNA evidence alone in the states, if memory serves. He was executed in record time almost, maybe 5 or 6 years later. Some of the elements of that murder also had some hinky similarities to JonBenet's murder, like the number 8 left on the body in fingernail polish. They found the same symbol in the man's bedroom when they arrested him. And no, I can't remember his name now, but read a lot about him at one time.

Children found in the home murdered with staging, though, with all that "caring for the body," usually are family/inner circle murders.

Oh, there was a little girl up north who was found murdered upstairs in her room, by her parents, in a small apt. with siblings in nearby rooms, as well. The father was the prime suspect for years, but they coudn't make a case against him. Many years later, it turned out that a former employee of the father's who had been in the home, knew the family, had crept in and done the deed, then left quickly. No, can't remember THAT name, either. But there was no staging. I think the child's clothes were still pulled off of her when she was found lying half off her bed. She might have been strangled by something from her room...?

Oh, I'm no help, am I? I probably read about these in crime books and/or saw them recounted on the true crimes shows on TV. We've talked about them through the years. I remember discussing if Patsy might have known about the West Virginia serial killer because he was on the loose for a few years at a time when we weren't used to hearing about these things so much. They were terrified there. Big news. Big case. Big arrest and trial. The guy was likely to come in open windows, especially in basements. The 16 year old had her bedroom window open, I believe. I think he strangled his victims, as well.

But I'm not swearing to any of this under oath. Maybe some others will remember the names and details and correct me.

5. Pearlsim

Pearlsim FFJ Senior Member

Kk

I think the first case you referenced might be one we had here in CA, not Texas. Stephanie Crowe was murdered in her Escondido home one night and her brother was charged with the murder. Later, forensics revealed that the sweatshirt Richard Tuite was wearing the night of Stephanie's murder had her blood on it. Tuite had been observed knocking on doors in Stephanie's neighborhood, looking for a former girlfriend.

This was a huge case here in the SD area. Very tragic for the Crowe family as they lost their beautiful daughter AND had to go through the horror of their son being charged with her murder.

6. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

"Both the FBI stats and the case facts say it all!"

I'll say!

7. koldkase

Yeah, that's it, Pearlism. Thanks. It was a terribly tragic case, because the family was double traumatized and it was an intruder.

8. koldkase

OK, I found the old DNA rapist/murderer case as well. Now I remember. I checked this book out of my local library when I probably heard about this case on TV, maybe a sort of "footnote" reference about the DNA. It's a famous DNA case because it was in the early days of DNA when it was new science. Also, a man had confessed to one of the murders and been convicted. He had served 5 years when he was released on the DNA evidence, once several other murders/rapes were also linked to Spencer, as well.

What is truly stunning, though, is how quickly the state of Virginia executed the man after his conviction. It was 5 years after.

Well, here's the amazon.com book page and the synopsis of the case and book:

http://www.amazon.com/Stalking-Just...f=sr_1_45/104-8419831-7631915?ie=UTF8&s=books

Oh, and it was VIRGINIA, not West Virginia. Sorry, got that mixed up.

9. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

There are tons of cases in the US where kids are killed in their own homes. Where they are killed is not the issue. That they all were without a ransom note, kidnapping claim and wipe down is. There are no cases in US history that contain those specific artifacts, just the Ramsey case. Anyone intent on killing a kid would not leave such artifacts behind merely out of fear of detection and apprehension. These are all elements of staging by someone whose intent is to lead suspicion away from them, which is a big red flag for guilt. And the ONLY case in US history is the Ramsey case. Even in the Lindbergh case, the baby was removed from the home and a simple authentic ransom note left. When the baby's remains were found, he had not been wiped down or staged in any way. He was simply buried. And the number of people who came out of the woodwork to confess to that crime remains the all time statistic for false confessions.

10. I understand that DN. We all know who was responsible for the murder BECAUSE of those unique characteristics. My question was simply (out of curiosity) to determine the odds of this murder having been commited by an intruder based on the number of children killed by intruders within their own homes.

11. tylin

tylin Banned

Deja Nu,
    Excellent! :yay: :gavel: :rose:

Mindblowing isn't it that not another case with this MO happened before or after JBR was killed?

12. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

Yep Tylin, and what is also amazing is that, for as much as the Ramseys and their spin doctors want everyone to believe JB was slaughtered by an intruder pedophile, that pedophile has never struck again in Boulder or elsewhere. Well, at least if we are to consider his M.O. of staging a kidnapping, leaving another "War and Peace" ransom note and wiping another little body down. Once pedophiles start killing they don't stop unless dead themselves, or incarcerated. While there have been other murderous pedophile cases in the US since JB's death, none of those either have revealed the mysterious intruder pedophile. Wonder what Loose Mitts would say about that?

13. Thor

Thor Active Member

Well he'd probably say "I 'seen' the evidence and I 'seen' that window in the basement (even wiggled my butt through it) and I even asked John Ramsey if he swore to God he didn't kill JonBenet and he said "I swear to God I didn't do it", so that intruder is the luckiest intruder ever, or he's dead."

14. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Why doesn't the media ask about Lou Smit's role in the whole Karr fiasco? He was obviously involved, but the minute Karr hit the US, Lou disappeared. He should have been right there with Lacy at the press conference. After all, he is her main investigator. She relied on Lou and Tracey for the case against Karr. She certainly didn't investigate anything else like if it was physically possible for Karr to have been in Colorado on Christmas Day 1996. (Even if she believed the Karr's stupid story about a Lear jet, she could have check airport records.)

I swear, every time I think about how criminally incompetent and imbecilic Mary Lacy is, I want to break out in hives. :rage: Anyone who believed Karr's story (like she did) ought to be incarcerated themselves for felony stupidity!

15. Why_Nut

Why_Nut FFJ Senior Member

A small factoid:

Did you know...Smit accidentally shot and killed a man? From the Greeley Daily Tribune of September 25, 1972:

Given how many officers are never involved in a gun-related shooting, even accidentally, maybe this bit of his history says something about Smit's preference for shuffling papers at a desk, as well as his simultaneous desire to appear before cameras looking like a hero of a case while then melting into the background lest he be accused of doing something that may merit blame instead of praise.

(Note that the man involved was not even a confirmed criminal caught in the act; he was in the area of an alarm going off and was suspected, but a man should not die because of coincidence.)

16. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

WOW. How come this is never brought up in Lou's biography of "Hero."

Very interesting...thanks again Why_Nut

17. tylin

tylin Banned

Well, it's no wonder he 'thinks' the Ram's are innocent.
    Hey Lou, :my: :loser:

18. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

Wow WhyNut

Very interesting indeed. I can't imagine why we haven't heard this story before when telling of all Lou's "accomplishments"!

I too, can only wonder where is the investigation into Lou's involvement with the Karr incident? Where is ANY investigation into those who were involved?

...but it is Boulder

Where is Lou? Still depressed? He should be!

19. Elle

Elle Member

They don't talk too much about this one at all Why_Nut? Lou is probably hoping everyone will think Andrew Smit is a different person. but Andrew is his first name. I never heard one cheep of this, and I have been on the JB boards for over five years now. It's amazing how the media managed to keep this quiet too. I don't remember Steve Thomas mentioning this in his book. Probably out of respect for Lou. Steve Thomas did admire Lou Smit up until his association with the Ramseys.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

#1 Sleuth on FFJ Why_Nut :cop:

I was looking for the icon with the soft hat and mask, but that comes under "cowboy" so the cop will have to do until they create another one. :)

20. YumYum012

YumYum012 Member

OutSTANDing find, WhyNut!

I bet there are a LOT of skeletons in Loose Smitz' closet. How many innocent bus victims has Smit had convicted? LE should re-open EVERY serious conviction that LooneySmits was ever involved in.

...YumYum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice