Madeleine McCann

Discussion in 'Madeleine McCann' started by Jayelles, May 11, 2007.

1. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Missing Purdue student found electrocuted

Ross FrazierAn electrocuted body discovered Monday in a high-voltage maintenance room at Purdue <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:place w:st=<st1:placeName w:st=" /><st1:placeType w:st="on">University</st1:placeType> was identified Tuesday by local coroners as Purdue freshman Wade Steffey. Steffey had been missing for more than two months when he disappeared after a Jan. 13 fraternity party at the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">West Lafayette</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">Ind.</st1:State></st1:place>, university.

It appeared Steffey tripped and fell onto a high-voltage transformer in one of the university's dorms, Purdue spokeswoman Jeanne Norberg said at a press conference Tuesday.

"He is believed to have died instantly," she said.

A maintenance worker discovered the body Monday after investigating a "pinging sound" and an odd smell in the utility room.

In response to the accident, Purdue officials are scrambling to determine how Steffey gained access to the facility. Maintenance workers disassembled the room's lock Tuesday to see if it was properly working, according to the Associated Press.

Purdue Police and administrators are also investigating whether the university complied with federal regulations regarding signage in hazardous areas, Joe Mikesell, Purdue senior director of engineering, construction and utilities, told the Purdue Exponent, the school's newspaper. There were no warning signs posted on the door to the room - though depending on the date of the building's construction, none may be required.

"We do implement signage requirement. I don't know if we were in compliance or not. I hope we were, but I don't know for a fact," Mikesell said.

Norberg said during the press conference that Purdue will conduct an independent investigation into Steffey's death. "We're going to find out. The search for Wade Steffey is over, but the search for answers continues," she said at the press conference.

Since Steffey went missing in January, students and campus officials had organized repeated searches for him - the most recent of those on Sunday. The dorm where he was eventually found was searched by both people and canines, but maintenance staff did not fully inspect the facility because of the danger from the high-voltage equipment.

http://www.browndailyherald.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticle&ustory_id=df514d0b-0cac-4833-8c49-d15941e005e3

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><o:p></o:p>[/font][/b]

<o:p></o:p></P>

</P>

<o:p></o:p></P></FONT></B>

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  2. becca

becca Member

Hey Tylin,
    I think there is such a school and it did great business with the LE in Florida. Every police force sent students there to NOT learn how to be cops. Even we know you follow the evidence not pick a suspect and make the evidence fit.

3. ACandyRose

ACandyRose Super Moderator

4. tylin

tylin Banned

Hey gal!
    No lie!!! Good lordy mercy. Some basics and common sense could go a long way.

ACandyRose,
    Thanks for the link.

5. Elle

Elle Member

Thank you, Moab for finding this.

"Steffey had been missing for more than two months when he disappeared after a Jan. 13 fraternity party"

The body had been lying in there for two months (?). Italics mine.

I feel a migraine coming on. I have to let this go.:-(

6. Catherine

Catherine Member

Sad, but true. One of his shoes was found outside the UNLOCKED utility room door about a week after the disappearance, but the area was not searched any further. Reasons? they were looking for a brown SHOE, not a brown SLIPPER (slipper like shoe found) AND a maintenance person opened the door to the room to look in, but did not go any further due to the electrical hazard. The university & the parents have ongoing investigations.

:mad:

7. Elle

Elle Member

Thank you Catherine. I can't believe they didn't venture in there and investigate further, after finding one shoe. How on earth can anyone work in close proximity to an electrical plant like this? It boggles the mind.

Yes, it is all very sad for this unfortunate young man and his family.

8. ACandyRose

Dutch paper tipped off about Madeleine McCann

Not good news if this tip is true. :-(

==============================================
    http://www.radionetherlands.nl/currentaffairs/mcC070613nws

Dutch paper tipped off about Madeleine McCann
    by Sebastiaan Gottlieb
    13-06-2007

"Leading Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf has received an anonymous letter containing clues regarding the whereabouts of the missing British girl Madeleine McCann. Police are taking the letter very seriously, because it was apparently written by the same person who last year sent a letter providing the exact location of the two murdered Belgian girls Stacey and Nathalie

The recent letter says Madeleine can be found in Portugal, not far from the hotel room she was abducted from on 3 May this year. It says that she lies buried "north of the road under branches and rocks, around six to seven metres off the road" in a barren and deserted hilly landscape.

Crosses on a map that came with the letter show the location of her body. De Telegraaf has handed the letter over to Dutch police who will hand it over to detectives in Portugal.

A spokesperson for the McCann family is eager to show the letter to Madeleine's parents. The couple was in the Netherlands only last week to ask for the assistance of holidaymakers who may have seen Madeleine's abductor near Praia de Luz.

The McCann family has enjoyed broad public support following the abduction of their four-year old girl. A British businessman has offered a reward of 1.5 million euros for the golden tip on Madeleine. The famous football players David Beckham and Cristianao Ronaldo have appeared on television to appeal for her release."

==============================================

9. heymom

heymom Member

Oh, dear. I pray this is not true, but as the article reads, I fear that it might be true.

Then again, maybe having an end to the horror is better than wondering for your lifetime if your child might still be alive...

10. tylin

tylin Banned

I don't want to believe this is true but with her being gone for over a month, I know she's most likely no alive.

11. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

This may be a break in the case...

...but not the outcome we all wanted. The news articles say the letter is similar to the one that pinpointed the location of the bodies of two Belgian sisters.

It may be the perp, feeling guilt, or wanting his crime to be discovered. I have a bad feeling about this.

12. ACandyRose

It sounds like the previous letter that was received is same MO. This quote below is from an article June 2006 about the Stacy and Nathalie case:

================================================
    http://www.expatica.com/actual/article.asp?subchannel_id=48&story_id=31197

Stacy and Nathalie
    Suspicious letter

"Dutch newspaper 'De Telegraaf' received an anonymous letter on 28 June containing detailed information about the area where the girls' bodies were found.

The envelope contained two maps, with a hand-written text: "Probable location Stacy + Nathalie". A cross marks the spot on the maps where the girls were predicted to be found.

Despite the fact the girls were found 2km further away along a railway, the newspaper said the letter implies that the sender was the killer or was aware of what the killer or killers had done.

The newspaper has handed the letter — which was posted in Rotterdam on Tuesday — over to Amsterdam police. Belgian federal police have asked Amsterdam colleagues to send the letter to Liège with priority."
    ================================================

13. tylin

tylin Banned

I so want little Madeleine to be found alive, but the letter either sounds like a copycat of the "Dutch Maps" or either Maddy was taken by the same perp.

14. Elle

Elle Member

Did you click on the "Dutch Maps" above Tylin?

15. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

16. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

ACR and Elle:

I went to the expatica link, and there are pictures of the two Belgian girls. I think that Nathalie does resemble Madeleine.

17. tylin

tylin Banned

Hi Elle,
    Yes I did. Did you want me to reread it for a specific reason?

18. tylin

tylin Banned

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21286522.shtml

Madeleine McCann Buried Body Tip A Hoax? Search Called Off
    By Mitch Marconi
    Jun 14, 2007
    Madeleine McCann Mystery Continues - Madeleine McCann is still missing despite a Dutch newspaper report that claimed the missing 4-year-old was buried close to where she was abducted.

Madeleine McCann has been missing since the first week of May. She was snatched from her bed while her parents ate diner nearby at an eatery in Praia da Luz in the Algarve in Portugal.

Her distraught parents have traveled the globe and followed every lead. They just want her home.

A seven man team spent the whole day scouring through the bushes at a deserted scrubland that was mentioned in the anonymous letter received on Wednesday.

Was it all just a cruel hoax?

The search has now been called off. "For now, we have no concrete plans to enter the terrain again," police chief inspector Olegario de Sousa said on Thursday.

article at link

19. tylin

tylin Banned

You can pick and choose which story to believe. The above article states the search was called off. The article below states a piece of evidence may have been found.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=462067&in_page_id=1770

Towel found at Madeleine search site could be vital new clue
    By PAUL HARRIS and TOM KELLY - More by this author » Last updated at 21:55pm on 14th June 2007

Madeleine: Missing for six weeks

A towel found in Portuguese scrubland could provide a vital clue to the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, it emerged tonight.

It was discovered nine miles from the McCann family's holiday apartment - in an area pinpointed by an anonymous letter to a Dutch newspaper as the spot where she was buried.

Entire article at above link.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
  20. Amber

Amber Member

This is my cleaned up version of the Dutch paper's image of the towel - I wonder what you guys make of it?

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice