New Ramsey case novel by Joyce Carol Oates - "My Sister, My Love"

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by koldkase, May 8, 2008.

1. SoCalGal

SoCalGal Member

I was thinking the exact same thing!

2. SoCalGal

SoCalGal Member

The bolded sentence is what keeps me coming back here and glad to read. Mostly, I think, because it is good to know there are STILL, to this day, people who care about justice that so far is not served.

3. Niner

Niner Active Member

I just wanted to add... he could have gotten the phone records!! :stupid1:

4. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

But instead, he chose not to. Instead, he chose to impede the investigation by refusing to grant the police a warrant for the phone records; suggesting they ASK the Rs for their phone records. I find it absurd that Hunter could say with a straight face that suspects in the murder of their child (and who he probably to this day believes are guilty of that murder) would volunteer that information. I can only think that the reason for this is because the Rs called their lawyers (who had political connections to the governor), then they called the Lt. Governor, then the lawyers called the governor, the governor's office called Hunter. And that was the end of the Rs as suspects as far as Hunter was concerned.

5. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

6. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

Thanks for the link Koldkase.

Skylar Rampike.....what a name.

7. Karen

Karen Member

I ordered my book last week and got a notice that it has shipped already and that it would be delivered on the 24th, tomorrow. (Well it's 1:00AM here now so later today.) Is anybody else getting one delivered on Tuesday? I thought it wouldn't even be shipped out until the 24th but that's not what my email said.

8. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Soooo jealous here! When will it hit the shelves?!

9. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

Hi Karen...

Thanks Karen for reminding us about this books release date...I just accessed the Amazon site and ordered mine too. It should be here in just a few days so I am anticipating a good read soon.

Hope you will let us know what your reactions are as you jump into Joyce Carol Oates exciting new novel....Just don't tell us the ending! :)

We should have lots to :talk::talk: talk about soon, should make for some lively discussion and interesting insights!

Voyager

10. koldkase

I've been awaiting this novel with some trepidation.

I mean, this author has taken on a very large task, considering that there are so many who have their own beliefs in what happened that night. Oates is not likely to satisfy a lot of us who know so much about the case, after all.

But it will be interesting to see what her take is on it, fiction-wise, of course.:winko:

11. sboyd

sboyd Member

I truly would love Tom Miller's book to be out. I guess the publishers are worried about having to pay lawyers almost immediately to defend their position on publishing the book? Am I correct with that? You know the first chapter or so is here and he minces no words on what he thinks happened. So is it just that Tricia is saying to them I am posting it and take your best shot. Why can't a publisher do this. The Ramseys cannot have this much control, nor this much money to keep paying Lin Wood and we know he wants hismoney. Someone help me understand.

12. Karen

Karen Member

Okay, I did recieve my book today. I'm on page 9 and my thought is "gee I really hope I can make it all the way through this book because in my opinion this book is one of the more moronic stupid books I've ever read."
    The stupid names she gives the characters should have forewarned me of how bad it was going to be. Granted I'm only on page 9 but I'm not holding out a lot of hope. There will undoubtedly be some who love this book. I can't wait for the discussion we have after more people read it. I always like to hear everybodys opinions. I also need to consider is this is the first Joyce Carol Oats book I've ever read and I don't like her writing style. Not my cup of tea. I hope my opinion doesn't sway anyone elses judgement. I think this is a book worthy of reading by everyone whether or not I or someone else likes it or not. Okay, back to the book. I'll post again later.

13. sboyd

sboyd Member

I had a feeling it would be that way Karen.

14. Karen

Karen Member

Yup. Page 35 and still greatly unimpressed. Bummer.:unreal:

15. koldkase

I haven't been to the book store yet, and may not get there today. I'll try to start on it this weekend.

Do remember this is fiction, Karen. Oates must have known that she is treading water with a law suit in tow, so there's that to consider in her storyline. I would expect her to change enough "details" so she'd be covered in that respect.

As for her writing style, I haven't read an Oates book that I can remember, either. Seems I remember her "style" in this book is a departure for her, but I'm referencing articles written on it and I may be confused on this point.

Sorry you're finding it so difficult. I honestly don't much like reading anything on this case anymore, as so much departs from the known evidence and forensics. Even non-fiction is so riddled with errors I end up feeling quite disgusted, no matter whom the author fingers.

I guess nothing less than the absolute truth will satisfy us at this point. We'd all love to read Miller's book, but it looks like that may not happen without learning Japanese, and I don't know how I'll ever have time or energy to do that in this lifetime.

Do you have anything specific to illustrate your problems with Oates' book, notwithstanding its fictional status?

16. Karen

Karen Member

The beginning is when Skylar (Burke) is very small 6 years old or so. And the adult observations made by this child is ridiculious. I'm sick of reading about Betsy's (Patsys) creamy breasts. It's an absurd book. It is inferring that Skylar (Burke) killed his sister. That's one point of view I guess for a book of fiction. I can choose a paagraph and quote it here if you want to see her writing style if you want. It's pretty much, Mummy this and Mummy that. UGH! I don't know if I'm going to finish it or not. Let me know if you want to read a random paragraph and I'll post one.

As for the Miller book, I'm done waiting. I don't think there is one anymore.

17. AMES

AMES Member

I haven't posted in a long time...but, I just had to say...:rolling: "(Patsy's) creamy breasts"......baaaahaaaa....LOL I almost peed on myself. Way too funny!

18. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

Skylar Rampike and Betsy's creamy breasts???

What the heck is a creamy breast? I don't think I want to know.

Looks like I will pass on this book. Thanks Karen for the preview.

19. Pearlsim

Pearlsim FFJ Senior Member

Maybe when you're of the ilk of people who live in mini-mansions and have husbands who make tons of money that you can flaunt with bad decorating and Christmas trees in every room, you get to bypass the mundane milky breasts and go straight on to extra RICH creamy breasts?

20. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

Hi Everyone...

Creamy Breasts...Oh My what a mental picture!?

Karen, I just got an e-mail notice from Amazon that my credit card order for the Joyce Carol Oates book did not go through because of an incorrect zip code in my address, they somehow had a different one from mine...

So now from your description, I don't know whether to waste the $20 for an unreadable book and am wondering if I should reorder it or wait....

Actually, I think I might run down to a booksellers close by and sit in their reading area and take in the first chapter of this book to see if it is something worth spending time on.

Some authors when they go outside of their special range of expertise or style, just can't make it work....I wonder if Joyce Carol Oates is one of these....I remember her books were often depressing in their interspection and really in depth in their insightful descriptive qualities....How odd that her characterization of Burke is askew with adult observations being given over to a child....

I will try to get down to the book store soon to see for myself!

Thanks for sharing,

Voyager

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice