Annual race honors missing Rachel Cooke

Discussion in 'The Search for Rachel Cooke' started by "J_R", May 3, 2004.

1. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

For the third year in a row, RunTex was a major sponsor for the Run/Walk. Their sponsorship and hard work is greatly appreciated by the Cooke family.

Photo ©Jacqueline L. Riggs 2004

Attached Files:

2. Tricia

...and Travis County Search and Rescue did a great job providing first aid though thank goodness it was the "Dr. Mom" variety only today and there were no serious injuries.

Attached Files:

3. Tricia

Finally, some 2 hours after RC and crew arrived at the park, Rachel's Uncle David said a prayer and then Chief Deb stepped up to the mike and sang our National Anthem A Cappella. For someone who agreed to be an alternate singer only two days ago she did not appear even the tiniest bit nervous when she stepped up to that mike - she did an awesome job!

Attached Files:

4. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Great Pictures

Rachel's supporters are so faithful.

Darn all that rain, thoguh!

5. Tricia

JoAnn, not showing the least bit concern that she had a final this afternoon held the starter's pistol for the third year. She's beautiful and she's taking Latin (read that "very smart.")

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2004
  6. Tricia

...and they are off...

Attached Files:

7. Tricia

Since the counter was set up differently this year we are getting a "unique" perspective on the runners coming. The wet grass appears to have slowed down the runners. The first male runner heads starts across the line at 17.53.

This guy had 2 friends right on his heels until the last couple hundred feet when he appeared to turn on his "after burners" and just pulled away from the other two. Bravo!

Attached Files:

8. Tricia

The first female runner to come starts across the finish line at 20.32.

Attached Files:

9. Tricia

Finally, all those calories that were burned (and those that were not - I know that photographer did not burn off those donuts pushing that little button on her camera and don't try to tell me she did) were replaced by some scrumptious breakfast tacos served up by the staff of Applesbees - Georgetown.

Attached Files:

10. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

All those pretty balloons you see behind the Applebees crew were provided by yet another sponsor - Air Visuals. I know RC and the Cooke family really appreciate all their sponsors and supporters.

Lurker you are right it is too bad we have had so much rain but I couldn't help but notice as I left the park that there were soccer games going on and a little league team was arriving so the rain didn't deter the soccer and little league moms and dads.

11. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Running to raise awareness of missing people

5:05 pm

Running to raise awareness of missing people
    5/15/2004 3:06 PM
    By: Amy Bowlin

After Rachel Cooke went missing near her home in Georgetown in January 2002, her parents started a network to help families with other missing loved ones.

On Saturday, the Rachel Alert Network held their annual 5K run/walk at Old Settler's Park in Round Rock to raise money and awareness about the search for missing people.

"It's really frustrating when you know time counts, spending time trying to trace down who to talk to, how to get her photo out there. You need someplace you can go to and get that information, so you'll be armed," father Robert Cooke said.

The run/walk also served to remind people about keeping themselves safe.
    ...snip

This January, search efforts got a boost with the creation of the Rachel Cooke Task Force.

"The Williamson County asked for help from Austin Police Department's Cold Case Unit, from the FBI, Texas Rangers and other agencies. They've re-looked at a lot of the people they talked to in the beginning, and they've talked to some new people. Over a hundred people in all they've interviewed this year. And they've logged over a thousand hours on Rachel's case," Robert said.

For her parents, the Rachel Alert Network is their way of helping everyone else's child stay safe, while they continue to look for their own.

"Rachel's still out there, and as a community we shouldn't quit until we get her," Janet said.

Robert Cooke was named News 8 Austin's Person of the Year in 2003 for his progressive efforts in the search for Rachel.

The Rachel Alert Network also sponsors self-defense classes, called M.U.S.T. (Mentally Useful Safety Techniques).

WATCH THE VIDEO

Run/walk for Rachel
    The annual run/walk raises money and awareness of missing people.

http://www.news8austin.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=107116

12. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

T-Shirt available

We have several T-shirt from the 2004 Run/Walk for Rachel available for purchase. They are $10 each which includes shipping. I'll even make a special for FFJ members. Three T-shirts for $25. Make checks out to Rachel Alert Network and include your name, address, and shirt size(s). (Adult S,M,L,XL)
    See a picture of the T-Shirt here: http://rachelalert.org/tshirt.html

Rachel Alert Network
    P.O. Box 1672
    Georgetown, TX 78627-1672

13. Colorado Babe

Colorado Babe Active Member

Rc

I signed up for the event and paid the $20.00 on line but didn't attend because I live in Colorado. Will I automatically get a tshirt in the mail? Or, do I need to let you know so you can send it to me? I plan on wearing my TSHIRT out here in Colorado so that Rachel gets more publicity.

CB

14. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

People from out of town need to notify me they want a T-shirt sent to them. You just did, so we will send yours out this week. We have your address.

JR mailed Moab's shirt yesterday. Zoomama's and your shirt will be mailed shortly.

Thanks for registering,
    Robert

15. Pybird

Pybird Member

Hi, RC

I registered last week and would love to have a t-shirt. You can identify me by my hat and e-mail addy. If not, just let me know and I'll e-mail you.

If you find you are running low on shirts, please accept my registration as a donation.

Thanks

16. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

found you

We have plenty or shirts Pybird. I found your on-line registration. I'll mail your shirt to you.

Robert

17. Pybird

Pybird Member

Thanks RC

18. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

On-line order running

People can now order Run/Walk T-shirts, Rachel's Song CDs and make a general donation to RAN on-line using Paypal and a credit card. Click here for a credit card purchase .

19. Quinn

Quinn Member

I JUST ORDERED MY SHIRT AND AM EXCITED TO PROWDLY WEAR IT.

20. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

T-shirts have been mailed

I mailed T-shirts to Colorado Babe, Pybird, and Zoomama today. You should get them on Tuesday or Wednesday because I sent them priority mail.

I'll be watching for your order Quinn. It wasn't in the PO box today.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice