John Douglas' Biggest Mistake

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Sylvia, Apr 19, 2005.

1. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

I feel the same way Ella, no wonder he hides in his discussion forum and hired other no-lifes to respond when he's to chickenChit. I hope that $50,000.00 made him happy for at least a little while, because pretending the Ramseys are innocent has completely ruined his career.

To think, he only did that because he figured the exposure would be good since "Journey Into Darkness" came out a short time later. He wanted the exposure, he got it!!:poke:

2. Sylvia

Sylvia FFJ Senior Member

Punisher, this was in no way Hunter getting back at the BPD for hiring their own law team, but for quite a different reason as written in the article RiverRat quoted from the Daily times:

The same statement is mentioned in the Longmont FYI:

So I think it can be called blackmail.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia FFJ Senior Member

Elle, in Steve Thomas book on page 136 (paperback) is mentioned the following about the conversation between Steve Thomas and Douglas

I found that perfect example how arrogant cops were smarter then the big-city outsider :D

4. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

Sylvia, blackmail or not, it never should have happened.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia FFJ Senior Member

Punisher, I couldn't agree with you more. And this is just one of the things that never should have happened.

6. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

Isn't it the truth?

7. Sylvia

Sylvia FFJ Senior Member

Wouldn't even want to start with a list of things that never should have happened, it would be endless :)

8. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

I don't have that kind of time!

9. Elle

Elle Member

Thank you, Sylvia for drawing my attention to Steve Thomas' encounter with John Douglas. I do like posts which make me work harder. I should read the whole book again, but other commitments take up my time.
    I made an attempt to scan the two pages 136-137 from Steve's book to Microsoft Word, but my scanner let me down, and didn't completely copy all of page 137, plus
    didn't accurately copy the text, and I had to correct mistakes. Time for a new one!

I do like to refresh important information like this, so please excuse any errors missed from Steve's account.

Steve Thomas - Part Two - A Gathering Storm -Chapter 12
    page 136-137

Although still too distraught to meet with us, John and Patsy Ramsey spoke
    for several hours with their newest trophy hire, John Douglas, Formerly with
    the FBI's behavioral. sciences unit.
    John Ramsey's lawyer Bryan Morgan was at the profiler's side and permitted
    no direct questions about the Ramseys during a long interview.
    Douglas, wearing a silk tie and an expensive suit, talked with machine-gun
    rapidity. He said the killer was someone who knew the house well, because it
    was a high-risk situation, and he pronounced the murder to be a crime of
    anger directed toward John Ramsey.
    His former colleagues in the FBI disagreed and would tell us they were
    unaware of anyone killing a child as revenge against the parents. To my
    mind, a revenge killer would probably have left the lifeless body splayed
    beside the Christmas tree for maximum shock value. .
    I asked if Douglas knew of any kidnapping for ransom in which the victim
    was killed and left on, the premises. He recalled a case involving a family
    member.
    They also had recited a -list of Suspects for us-Jeff Merrick, Mike Glynn, and
    Jim Marino, all former Access employees who had been seen at a mysterious
    dinner with Tom Carson, currently the company's chief financial officer.
    Then he shocked us by also offering the name of Fleet White. The Ramsey
    camp had turned on one its best friends.
    Among the books Sergeant Wickman said were on John Ramsey's night stand
    was Mindhunter, by John Douglas. In the book he wrote that when loved
    ones or family members are the killers, careful attention is given to "staging"
    and diverting suspicion elsewhere. In the Ramsey case, the amateurish
    ransom note diverted the authorities for several hours.
    'Douglas also wrote that holidays were particularly stressful times and could
    trigger violent behavior. JonBenet was killed over Christmas. '
    Douglas stated that in parental murders, great care is usually shown in the
    disposal of the body. JonBenet had been carefully tucked into a blanket in a
    cellar room and not discarded outside in the freezing cold.
    John Douglas was almost denying his own writings in order to give the
    Ramseys a pass. The dust jacket of his next book identified him as a
    consultant on the JonBenet Ramsey case. It did not say for which side.
    That same day, John Ramsey doubled 'the reward 'he was offering to
    $100,000.

The part which wasn't scanned paraphrased:

Detectives Thomas and Gosage returned to Access Graphics to see Tom Carson, not praised by Nedra Paugh,and who was now linked by John Douglas to a suspicious dinner with Tom Merrick, Marino and another friend, Mike Glynn.
    Carson was open and helpful with a rock-solid alibi. He was in France with his girlfriend and her parents. Carson dismissed the dinner as a conspiracy to commit murder, across a table, in a restaurant partly owned by John Ramsey, and was just a get together.
    Steve spent many hours checking stories of others named with the results being the same - an innocent gathering that meant nothing to the case.
    Carson had no idea the Ramseys had given the detectives a copy of the gently worded handwritten sympathy note he sent them after the murder. Team Ramsey asked us to see if there was any link to the ransom note.

10. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

Not exactly re-inventing the wheel, is it?

11. Elle

Elle Member

No, it isn't, Punisher, and reading over the above, thanks to Sylvia for giving me a push, it's unbelievable how John Douglas has given the Ramseys a "pass" to quote Thomas.
    Everything Douglas has written about in "Mindhunter" relating to family members and their staging fits the Ramseys like a glove. Amazing! Something far wrong with this picture.

12. Sylvia

Sylvia FFJ Senior Member

Yes, Elle that is the part I meant and I particularly like the quote "I asked if Douglas knew of any kidnapping for ransom in which the victim was killed and left on, the premises. He recalled a case involving a family member." What a jerk!

Hey great that scanning part, lol, I have to type in everything from the book :) I also constantly need to reread parts, to remember what happened. And since I use to have the hardback books and now the paperbacks, I do notice differences in the books. So sometimes,......I am completely lost ;) I just have to read it because I am trying to recreate the DOI critique pages, which I have lost. And am still waiting for DOI to arrive again. Only am working from my notes, and there are times I wonder what on earth did I write there :D

13. Elle

Elle Member

Jerk is the right word, Sylvia.

Know what you mean about the books being different (page numbers). Sorry about the loss of your material.
    I typed everything too but I recently reinstalled this Hewlett-Packard scanner, and I never realized this feature was on it before, but it still didn't work all that well, as I said above.

I just checked "scan to Microsfoft Word" and it did, but it sure screwed up the spelling of words, threw commas and punctuation marks into the text like confetti.
    :steamed: :curses: I had to change so many words, it wasn't worth it, but I'll try and fix it. I can't leave things alone.

Once again, thank you Sylvia for taking me back to that important information about Steve and John Douglas, while we're right in the middle of tearing Douglas apart.

14. Sylvia

Sylvia FFJ Senior Member

You are welcome Elle, I’ve been tearing Douglas apart for years now! ;) That guy just irritated me beyond believe. Try also to read page PMPT page 750-751, if you have the book (again this is the paperback version.) There is written how Smit and Douglas blew up the indictment which was about to come from the Grand Jury.

Hey, just leave it, LOL, it was clear enough to me, and I think for most other too :). I know those programs sometimes want to things their own way. I also had one, but the update was just too expensive for me, so it leaves me no other chose then to type everything out.

No worry those critiques pages will be restored and posted here, only it will take me some time again to restore them. Almost was a book on its own. :)

15. Elle

Elle Member

:nono:
    I have both books, Sylvia, thank you.. I was informed by a very smart poster that Lawrence Schiller had made quite a few mistakes in his first hardback edition, and I was tuning into all of them, :nono: just like the Boulder cops. :) So I bought the paperback complete with index, while the original one didn't have any.

I still have the original hardback, but it's now useless, because of the update and corrections made by Schiller in the PB. Not much good when someone is quoting the text from the PB. I might as well toss it out the window.
    :fishslap: The one on the right is Schiller. Will read this later today. Thanks, Sylvia. In the HB it's page 578 minus his update. :-(

Edited to say I remember this part about the grand jury, Sylvia. Frustrating. So was the movie of "Perfect Murder Perfect Town" I had a hard time watching the actor portray Steve Thomas' frustration all through it.:-( Don't think I want to look at my video of that ever again.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2005
  16. Sylvia

Sylvia FFJ Senior Member

When it comes to PMPT, I am always very careful to quote from it, as there is a lot of misinformation in it. Noticed it long ago, could not trust it many parts.

I haven't seen the movie, but I did read Steve Thomas' Book and I can imagine his frustration concerning the whole thing. The unwillingness of the DA to cooperate with the BPD was unbelievable. They were more cooperative with the only real suspects they had, the Ramsey’s!

17. Elle

Elle Member

The video is just more of the same, Sylvia.

They are selling DVD's of "Perfect Murder Perfect Town"at http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=5688264&cart=246269728&BAB=I

18. Sylvia

Sylvia FFJ Senior Member

Elle, that video has the wrong regio code, wouldn't even be able to play it on my DVD player. Besides I am not so fond of Schiller to be honest. First need to get my most important books back, I am still missing Hodges' books.

19. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Have you not seen PMPT the film? I have it in PAL video format and I also have the equipment to burn it onto DVD. Would that be any use to you?

20. Elle

Elle Member

Don't think Sylvia is interested, Jay, from her post. Can't say that I blame her. Frustrating to watch. Nice of you to offer, though. Sylvia is welcome to my video copy. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice