Happy Thanksgiving!

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Elle, Nov 19, 2005.

1. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Hurry! My cooking skills are mediocre, at best. Help me SAVE THANKSGIVING!!!! :couch:

2. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

We're lacking gravy here. Cranberries, too.

The pecans haven't fallen off the trees yet. Besides pecans, I tread on blueberries, too, Show Me.

3. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

ps

Play like the chicken broth is turkey broth. I'd put a little flour in a bowl and stir in some broth until it's smooth. Then add some more broth. Salt and pepper it. Put it on the heat and stir. If it gets too thick, add some more broth.

Send some overhere.

4. BobC

But don't you put the giblets in--also--mine is always lumpy. What am I doing wrong?

5. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

Don't Panic Bob C.......

Here is how I make our homemade Turkey gravy....

After the turkey has finished roasting and you have taken it out of the roasting pan, put the roasting pan on top of your stove burners to use it for the gravy pan....

Drain all but 3 or so tablespoons of the fat out of the pan....

Depending on how much gravy you want to make....Thoroughly mix about 1/4 cup of flour with about 2 cups of water in either a jar or the blender.....

Turn on the heat under your roaster pan and preheat the oil and brown bits of turkey and drippings in the bottom of the pan....

When that is bubbling, pour in the flour/water mixture and turn the heat down....

With a large spoon scrape all of the brown bits and drippings into the mixture (this is called deglacing).....

Cook slowly adding your spices, pepper and anything else you enjoy, until the gravy is browned and thickend to your liking....

Oila! Easy as pie....You can cook your giblets by boiling in water earlier and then just chop them and add to the gravy as it is thickening if you like giblet gravey....

That is how my mom always made it....I don't add giblets anymore as my family doesn't like them but I personally used to love the way my mom made it...

Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving! Let us know how it turns out K?
    Voyager

PS My turkey is in the oven and I am working on snapping the fresh green beans while Mr. V. makes the fresh homemade cranberry sauce in the food processor that his mom always made....Tried and true recipes that bring back some great memories of holidays past...

6. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

Lumpy gravy

We just had this problem here the other night,

Bob, your gravy *might* be lumpy because you didn't sift the flour before hand - do you have a sifter?? If you don't, try to squish all the lumps with a fork and stir it like crazy.

7. Elle

Elle Member

I love posting with all of you, Voyager. You have all become a part of my daily life. About the carrot and turnip dish, when the carrots are mixed with the turnip, butter, salt and pepper is added, and it really tastes quite good. I'm talking about the turnips as big as your head, not those wee white ones. :) The carrots take away the bitterness in the turnip. This was a family veggie in Scotland, for us. Unsure about the rest of Scotland (?). :)

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner with your families and friends.:rose: :rose::rose:

8. Elle

Elle Member

A quick method: A few teaspoonfuls of corn starch -instead of flour- mixed with cold water (mixes much smoother than flour). Add this to two cups of hot chicken stock. Guaranteed to be lump free. Depending on how thick you want your gravy, Bob, depends on how much corn starch you mix with the water.

9. Elle

Elle Member

Hello there JIC long time no see. Switch from flour to Corn Starch and you won't have lumpy gravy. You can make good gravy from two cups of Chicken Soup Cubes and a few teaspoonfuls of corn starch.

Of course, you can always buy it ready made in the store. :) BUT Voyager's recipe is the ORIGINAL and normally tastes phantasmagorical! :)

10. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

Hi Ella!!

It's been eon's hasn't it? How have you been? I was doing some reading here the other day and it sent me on a little mission! Reading the ponytail thread really brought me back to something I thought a little about but didn't go much further. Still working on it, but it seems fairly plausible. I'll post those thoughts in the ponytail thread.

11. Elle

Elle Member

I know you were busy with a few other projects, JIC, and didn't have time to post. You always had something interesting to post about. Missed you! Hope they are all working out for you. Will keep a lookout for your post. :)

12. BobC

Thanks Elle, Voyager and everybody! I'm about to make it! Only Jesus can help me now!

13. BobC

Countdown to disaster

Oh GOD. Something's gone terribly wrong. My gravy looks like nuclear sludge with small islands of filth floating in it. I'm terrified my guests will think this dinner is a terrortist attack and alert the authorities.

14. BobC

oooh god I need a cocktail. The turkey tastes like filet of suitcase.

15. Thor

Thor Active Member

At least your turkey doesn't taste like filet of Lizard Tongue Bob C. I hope you get it straightened out.

Happy turkey day all. I am pithed. The harddrive on my computer went out on me and I have been without a computer for about a week. Well, they installed a new one at Best Buy and I am slowly but surely getting things back to normal. This is a fossil of a computer, 4 years old, and they said it is simply wear and tear. They at least saved my pictures on the computer. Anyway, I finally got MSN messenger installed, Norton, etc. I am no computer wiz and I have been imbibing of some wine to calm my nerves during this chit so I am quite proud I have got it back to some resemblance of itself.

I had to put my 16 year old cat to sleep a couple of weeks ago so life sucks right now.

Hubby cooked dinner, had a great turkey and can finally have internet and game access so I guess things are looking up. Does anyone want a 9 month old naughty male German shepherd? Love ya all.

16. BobC

Sorry about the kitty, Thor.

17. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

Use a wire whisk for the lumps... and use cornstarch instead of flour.

Or buy a jar of turkey gravy and merely add some of the turkey juice to the gravy for seasoning.

sorry about your cat Thor....our Tina is about 16 and probably weighs 30 lbs, so far so good, though it amazes me this fat lazy kitty has lasted this long.

18. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

Thor, I am so sorry about your cat, I totally understand what you're going through. I lost my little guy on October 20th.

Just over a month ago our house caught fire at 4:00am and we had literally seconds to get out - I had to choose between my coat and shoes or my kitties, I scrambled for my babies but Bandit ran and hid somewhere when the smoke detector went off, and the smoke filled our apartment so fast that we couldn't see anything.

We lost everything but all I really want back is my cat.

[​IMG]

19. Thor

Thor Active Member

OMG I am so sorry Justin. That must have been horrible. One of my fears is fire and I cannot imagine losing everything like that. At least my Samantha lived a long, healthy life. How awful to lose things (especially pets) in a fire.

20. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

Thanks Thor, it was pretty horrible but everyday I feel a little better.

It just sucks that when they removed him and Animal Control took him away, the firefighters didn't give them location or tenant details so we had no idea for over 10 days that he was actually gone - we went back to the scene so many times a day in that period just hoping he'd come out from bushes or be standing on the fire escape.

Finally I got sick of wondering so I called around to find out who was responsible, when I called them I was told he'd been destroyed that same day - and I had been planning on cremating him had anything happened to him, I was absolutely horrified, I didn't even get the option to save his ashes. I'm still such a wreck about him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice