Crimes of the Century

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Elle, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Elle

Elle Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The top 25 Crimes of the Century that shocked the World

http://www.time.com/time/2007/crimes/

JonBenét Ramsey is on the list:

THE MURDER OF JONBENET RAMSEY, 1996

Two corollary developments distinguish this terrible unsolved killing of a beautiful six-year-old girl in Boulder, Colo. The first was the suddenly widespread revelation of the existence of children's beauty pageants -- in which JonBenet was entered time and again by her former beauty queen mother, Patsy. Public fascination and repulsion over the makeup, costumes and prepubescent swimsuit competitions at times overshadowed the crime of child murder itself. The second development was the tenacity with which observers and large segments of the public held on to suspicions that JonBenet's wealthy family had something to do with her death. The murder was discovered the day after Christmas 1996 and to this day no credible suspect has been arrested, despite the high-profile false confession of teacher John Mark Karr. In the meantime, Patsy Ramsey has died of cancer. But those who view her with suspicion have not relented.

From the Archive:

Who Killed this Child?

Playing at Pageants
    NEXT: Andrew Cunanan

2. Little

Little Member

Thanks Elle.
    I think that the "mystery" of JonBenet's death will be one that will go on forever. The door that led to prosecuting this case was slammed closed, triple dead bolt locked, sealed up with granite and is now in some undisclosed location on the island of Atlantis.

Little

3. Thor

Thor Active Member

Very interesting Elle. Incredible how this case has made all these lists. I agree, Little, the Ramseys succeeded in making sure this case will never be solved.

4. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Crime of the Year.....

Crime of the Decade......

and now

Crime of The Century.

Way to go, Killer.

5. Tril

Tril Member

Thanks for posting this, Elle. (Whenever I type your screen name, I feel as if I'm addressing myself. :) )

JonBenet died almost 11 years ago. My gosh, 11 years! She would have been 17 now, had she lived. Burke will soon be 21. Where has time gone?

Does everyone here remember what they were doing when they first heard about the case? I was listening to the Denver News on TV while cleaning up some Christmas clutter.

6. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

I was preparing to go to a family Christmas gathering, the day after Christmas. I remember because I talked with my nephew about it that night. My nephew, a 36 year old professional fireman, died fighting a fire the next night. Burned the details of the last time I saw him alive into my brain forever.

Thanks, Elle. Sad to think we've spent 11 years hoping for justice for JonBenet, and it never came.

Rest in peace, baby.

7. Elle

Elle Member

Thanks Girls. It just seemed the right time to post this Bullguard Newsletter.

So sad about your nephew KK. You will always associate this time of the year with this fatal accident. So young.

Tril, thank you for asking that important question - what were we all doing eleven years ago?

I just remember watching CNN and seeing a picture of this pretty little golden haired girl with a crown on her head and then was stunned to hear she had been found dead in the basement of her own home the day after Christmas. This was so hard to take at Christmas time.

I signed up with the net in October 1996, but didn't get involved with the JonBenét Ramsey case until 2001, and I thank all the posters who have helped me since then. You all know who you are, and I have met so many wonderful posters on Tricia's Forums For Justice site. Seriously, I just love being in touch with all of you. You're a terrific group of young women, and we mustn't forget the men. Stand up and be counted.

Tril, you were saying:
    Does this mean your real name is Elle? My real name is Ella, and Elle is my nickname. Not much difference. :)

8. Pearlsim

Pearlsim FFJ Senior Member

I was busy with Christmas doings when my brother from Seattle phoned me. His first words were something like, "Well, you know it's gonna wind up being the Mom who did it."

I had NOT heard about JonBenet's murder so he had to explain it to me.

We are from West Virginia and the joke in our family is that anytime our home state gets press it's always bad...very bad. Snake eaters, book burners, incestuous creeps living in skanky hill-holler towns, murderers...you get the gist. Lots of very fine people live in the state of West Virginia but you wouldn't know it if you relied on the mainstream press.

So, my brother's point was that it would have to be Patsy, because she was from West Virginia. Who knew he'd turn out to be right!

Funny to think about that this morning, exactly two weeks after my beloved brother died of cancer.

9. heymom

heymom Member

I was here in Houston, and was horrified to see the photos in the news. Our older son is about six months younger than JonBenet - he's 16 now. So it was kind of close to home, plus I grew up in Denver and suburbs.

When I saw the Ramseys on TV I knew there was something drastically wrong with the publicity about an intruder. But nothing ever happened, and the case kind of faded from my mind...it was hubby who brought it up and went searching on the 'net for more information, and the rest is history...I found ACandyRose's website, and this one, or the other way around, and now I can't let go.

And now it's Jason who was obviously abused to death by one or both of his parents, and there's STILL a Ramsey connection!

Thanks for welcoming me into your family o' guttah hos! I do my best to uphold the reputation.

10. Tril

Tril Member

KK, how sad about your nephew dying in the fire! I'm so sorry.

Elle, my given name is Eleanor. Sometimes my friends call me Ellie, but, except for my kids, who call me Mom, everyone in my family calls me El, but most spell it Elle, the way I was taught to spell it. When I was still a baby, my parents decided to spell El "Elle," to make clear my gender. Eleanor, El, Elle, Ellie... I'm okay with all of them. :)

When I heard the initial news reports on the JonBenet case on the 26th, I thought John was the culprit, but I quickly changed my mind when I heard more about the case.

11. Elle

Elle Member

Your brother had good insight, Pearlsim. I'm sure he was right. We all think it was Patsy Ramsey. I'm so sorry he isn't with you any more. We all go through very sad times when we lose the ones we love. Just no comprehension, is there, while evil people are allowed to kill and get away with it (?).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice