The Atlanta "Intruder"

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by JustinCase, Feb 15, 2005.

1. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

John says he fought with the burglar but at one point decided to stop struggling to get him out of there. In the photo's below, he doesn't have a sign of injury to his face.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/908287.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DE433168F55924505C67F8FDA3DF66B0D1
    It's no surprise the media snapped this pic, he doesn't have a scratch on him, aside from what appears to literally be a little scratch on his cheek.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/908262.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DE6418BEDD980D7EDDD7D52AAB7262B372
    Patsy waves as the pass through the gates of 4070 Paces Ferry [gated community?] John looks nervous.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/908291.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DEBE95456206A9B079442F5DBB9B6EE89DHere John speaks to the media as many look on in literal disbeilif.

[font=helvetica,arial,sans][size=-1]"Ramsey sustained some cuts and bruises and an injury to his left eye, said his physician, Dr. Richard Kauffman."
    [/size][/font]http://web.dailycamera.com/extra/ramsey/2001/21lrams.html

[font=helvetica,arial,sans][size=-1]"I turned around to say I was going to call police. He jumped me and we scuffled for what seemed like a long time," Ramsey said."[/size][/font]
    http://web.dailycamera.com/extra/ramsey/2001/21lrams.html

From the 911 call transcript:
    http://www.jonbenetindexguide.com/02202001-RamseyAtlantaRobbery911call.txt
    911: He locked you up?
    John Ramsey: Yeah
    911: Ok you walked in and he (garbled)
    John Ramsey: I fought with him
    911: Ok, alright, and how long ago?
    John Ramsey: About 2 minutes ago he left.
    911: All right, did he have a weapon?
    John Ramsey: Not that I saw, no

John Ramsey interviewed by Paula Woodward:
    http://www.jonbenetindexguide.com/02202001-RamseyInterviewRe-Robbery.txt

Ramsey: I'd gone out to Home Depot and returned and found somebody in our house and he attacked me and we fought for awhile and he eventually locked me in a room and left.
    Woodward: How'd you get out?
    Ramsey: It wasn't that secure, but at that point, I decided the best thing I could do was let him get out of here, so I didn't try to resist any more.
    <snip>Woodward: Do you know whether or not he was unarmed?
    Ramsey: Don't know. Didn't see anything.
    Woodward: How are you?
    Ramsey: Oh I'm fine. Scuffed up a little bit, but fine.
    </snip>
    <snip><snip>Ramsey Legal Stuff page:</snip></snip>
    http://www.jonbenetindexguide.com/legalstuff.htm

Documents related to the Ramsey's Atlanta 'Intruder' can be found under "2001"
    (**the .PDF file with the police documents isn't working [could just be my crappy browser] but there's an interview John did with Paula Woodward was well as the 911 call transcript)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  2. Tez

Tez Member

Dont' even get me started on the "gentleman burglar." It's not the burglar that bothers me, BTW, I hope he likes Patsy's K-Mart jewelry....LOL. It's the fact that they ran right to the police station to report this, but couldn't go to the police station when their daughter was murdered. There is something seriously wrong with this picture...

3. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

I know! Wasn't it Patsy who was fuming at K-Mart all those years ago for having a dress like JonBenet's hanging in the store?? I looked for the quote but can't find it!! I'll post it if I do.

After reading John's interview with Paula Woodward and the 911 call transcript, I'm starting to think that this whole burglary thing had a real purpose. He doesn't sound as sincere as he sounds like he has a purpose.

He doesn't look like he got into a scuffle with anyone, let alone a 6 foot tall "black man" wearing 'dark clothing', which BTW does nothing to narrow the search. If this was another set-up, I think John was just being smart about choosing someone out of the largest population in the city, where there are twice the amount of African Americans than whites.

Atlanta Race Statistics: <!--StartFragment --> (US Census 2000)
    White 33.22%
    Black or African American---61.39%
    http://atlanta.areaconnect.com/statistics.htm
    </FONT>
    </TD><TD align="right">
    </TD><TD align="right">

4. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

Something about the photo's I posted links to really makes me think John was nervous to speak with cameras the day of the burglary, he turned FIRE ENGINE RED when he walked through the gates of 4070 Paces Ferry Rd where he saw the media waiting to see if he'd make a statement; I think he made one to get support from people who felt sorry for them for what happened.

2001-01-09 (N) Mary Keenan to be new Boulder County District Attorney
    2001-02-20 (T) Today Show (Lin Wood and Darney Hoffman on Wolf lawsuit)<o:p></o:p>

2001-02-20 (T) 911 Call (Ramsey Burglary in Atlanta) **
    2001-02-20 (T) Paula Woodward interview with John Ramsey on burglary
    2001-03-05 (L) Linda Hoffmann-Pugh vs John & Patsy Ramsey lawsuit case<o:p></o:p>

2001-03-29 (L) John and Patsy Ramsey vs Steve Thomas case<o:p></o:p>
    2001-04-03 (T) Answer to Wolf's Amended Complaint (Wolf vs Ramsey)<o:p></o:p>
    2001-04-03 (T) National Enquirer Interview (John/Patsy Ramsey)

Did they need the publicity to win lawsuits?
    The Burglary just happened to occur the same day that Lin Wood and Darnay Hoffman were on the Today Show discussing the Wolfe V. Ramsey lawsuit, later that same day John did a televised interview with Paula Woodward.

The other lawsuits active at the same time were Hoffman-Pugh V. Ramsey and Ramsey V. Thomas. The National Enquirer article the Ramsey's did was the exact same day of an occurence with the Wolf case, which was talked about in the media and extensively online.

So did the Ramsey's fake the robbery to get support at a time when they were pretty vulnerable? Did they want people to feel sorry for them?

I could be wrong, someone could have broke a basement door down and rummaged through the house for all of the most worthless items the family had to offer, but I can't see even a stupid burglar doing something like kick a door right down to get into a home to loot.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  5. Why_Nut

Why_Nut FFJ Senior Member

Kudos for the Getty Images find, these pictures are teh awesome. I found the pictures you mentioned of John's florid face, which is noticeably redder than Patsy's calm, normal skin tone.

[​IMG]

But the best sequence is described thus:

10/25/97 Atlanta, Ga. Exclusive. Patsey Ramsey Spends Her Morning At A Neighborhood Coffee Shop; Spills Coffee On Herself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

7. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

Thanks Why_Nut, try the Corbis site too, there's lots there.

I especially love this photo because I like the look the woman walking out behind Putsy has on her face, she knows who that is and she doesn't like her. And Patsy's just busy trying to look like she's got royal ties, she looks like such a snob.
    [​IMG]

8. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

Didn't John say he had a frying pan with him when he fought the burglar? :wood: Like a knight with shiny armor?

And yet again, the Ramseys FORGOT to set their burglar alarms!

Poor gentleman burglar had to settle for K Mart jewelry.

Quite frankly I think John is running an insurance scam, he's been burglarized more than twice.

9. Why_Nut

Why_Nut FFJ Senior Member

Good lord. The bounty of photos I have never seen before is amazing. Blessings on your keyboard for the heads-up.

In DOI, John wrote that Patsy had seen a picture of Burke at the gravesite with his shirttail hanging out, and I always did wonder where that picture appeared. Now I see the Corbis site has it.

[​IMG]

10. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I'm guessing that would be best friend Doug Stine with him.

That Atlanta break-in always sounded hokey to me.

11. sue

sue Member

I think it was Walmart (I guess that means the next buglar won't get any Walmart jewelry).
    Hokey is just the word for it.
    I always wondered how he could get locked in his own bathroom by an intruder. Obviously, the lock is on the inside and most bathroom doors in houses I've been in open in toward the bathroom, so it's not like someone could lock him in or block the door so he couldn't open it.
    And he saw quite a bit for someone locked in the bathroom: the "intruder" took 2 large bags and got away in "what he thought was a Chevrolet Cavalier, possibly light gray in color."
    I also thought this was a weird comment by John:
    "It's a horrible invasion of your privacy and your feeling of safety," Ramsey told KUSA. "We certainly went through that with JonBenét. It certainly has resurfaced. Our house here is we think ultra-secure. Again he was able to bash down a door and just come in." (from this article: http://web.dailycamera.com/extra/ramsey/2001/21lrams.html )
    It implies that their house was locked and secure the night JB died and that someone bashed down a door to get in and kill her. A pretty powerful image to create if you are promoting the "intruder killed JB".

12. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

See! I knew I wasn't thinking about someone else.
    I think he said something about a grandfather clock being used as an anchor, apparently the intruder used a coat that he tied around the handles and secured to the clock; I think it's bullsmit, I don't even think he tried it to see if it was possible first.

Yeah there are a lot of discrepancies between what he says on TV and what he told the police, I remember reading the interview with the investigator and I remember him saying that he surprised the intruder and said "who are you" but to Paula Woodward he said he surprised the intruder who had all his stuff on him, to which he said "Give me that." It only could have happened one way, yet he's described it several different times, each time a little different than the first; sounds a lot like his BPD interviews.

Doesn't this sound like someone else told him what to say, how to feel, how a person who's been home invaded should feel, but doesn't realize the importance of changing the "you's" to "I's". They do this when they are trying to explain the feelings they should be feeling with regards to the murder too...

Boo YAH!! Excellent interpretation Sue, exactly what I've been trying to put my finger on, what their overall purpose was with this break-in. I'm convinced.

13. Tez

Tez Member

These are great finds y'all! I didn't know that on the same day Woody was on TV doing his spin for the Ramsey's. Yep, trying to sway public opinion, that's their deal!

I always thought the Atlanta burglary was phony. Especially when I heard that John was locked in the john. I think if the burglar wanted to, he could have done some serious damage to Johnny. Wasn't there some antique guns stolen as well as a computer? This burglar was obviously in the house for longer than a few minutes in order to get that stuff out. Not to mention the K-Mart jewelry. I'm sure it was large and overdone also! LOL

I wonder how much money the insurance company paid them for this little fiasco?

I just love that wave Patsy is giving to the press when they are either leaving the police station or arriving home. She doesn't look the least bit concerned about what just happened in her home.

14. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

My thoughts exactly Tez.

15. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

More rarely seen pics...

These pics are so weird!! They're from January 3, 1997 at Don and Nedra's house, I wonder if this is when Fleet came over and confronted John about his actions 12/26/96 and following leaving 15th St.??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://pro.corbis.com/images/0000324138-003.jpg?size=67&uid={8d9c1190-7d2a-4839-ac46-149fbf6a0a2d}

The whole set can be found at:
    http://pro.corbis.com/
    To get only this set from Roswell, type in "ROSWELL, Georgia, United States" in the Location section (near the right side of screen)

16. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

I Love that site!

You guys missed this one though! It was taken the day that John swore that if he was lying, may God strike him with a long nose for the World to see his length of lies.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  17. sue

sue Member

So, let's see, he went willingly into the bathroom, closed the door and stayed in there while the "intruder" found a grandfather clock, dragged it to the door (my in-laws have one of those, they are not light or easy to move). Once it was there, the intruder had to figure out how to secure it to the door (Hmmmm, need a coat with extra long arms. But, the arms can't be too stiff or they won't tie nicely).

While the "intruder" was doing all this, why didn't John just do what most people would do - run out of the house. Plus, I thought one of the articles I read said something about him calling the police on his cell phone. So, even if he left the house, he could still call.
    I remember thinking the same thing. What is the story supposed to be? It sounded like he either couldn't remember or was making it up on the spot.
    I get it now, the reason neither one of them looks very upset is what JustinCase wrote.
    Also, from the article:
    "In interviews with reporters, the Ramseys said the death of their daughter left them concerned about the security of their home and said their new Atlanta house would have state-of-the-art security. Patsy Ramsey told reporters that the Atlanta residence lacked the many hiding places of their former Boulder home."
    It's not that they didn't have a state-of-the-art security device at their Boulder home. They chose not to use it.
    And, along with that, a quote from PMPT, paperback version page 44. From Fleet White's first police interview:
    "Alone, he went down to the basement, found some of the lights on, and started calling JB's name. It was so cluttered down there - with boxes stacked everywhere and shelves overflowing with odds and ends - that he could hardly see any open spaces where she might be."

18. Tez

Tez Member

My home was broken into on Saturday night, and I am a mess. I was not smiling, I was crying and angry.

This whole Atlanta burglary thing is bogus, IMO. If my daughter had been killed in my home, trust me anywhere I lived after that, the alarm would be on at all times. No question about it. I wonder if they have an alarm in their new home? Probably not, unless they have security cameras watching for the police to come and arrest them...(I can dream right? LOL)

Neither one of them looks the least bit frazzled about what just happened. Maybe John drank some scotch and Patsy took a couple of valium before making an appearance!

19. sue

sue Member

Sorry to hear about that.

20. Tez

Tez Member

Thanks Sue. Hopefully, the worst part is over. I just wish I felt comfortable in my home. I'm scared to be here alone, but I'm scared to leave my home alone. With time, hopefully that will pass. I can hope that they catch whomever did it, then maybe I will feel safe again.

That's what I don't get about the Ramsey's. They had an alarm, and their daughter was supposedly murdered by an intruder, but they don't turn the alarm on? It doesn't make any sense to me at all. I guess I should consider myself thankful that I don't understand their thinking processes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice