The Search For Rachel Phase VII

Discussion in 'The Search for Rachel Cooke' started by "J_R", Apr 19, 2003.

1. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Thoughts and Prayers are going out to the Cooke family and the Jacob family today at the 18 month and 16 month anniversary of Rachel's and Kent's disappearance.

We need to bring these beautiful children home!

2. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Thoughts and prayers are also going out to the Ayala family. Laura Ayala has also been missing 16 months today.

3. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

July 10, 2003

The Cooke family marked the eighteen-month anniversary of Rachel’s abduction very quietly. RC chose not to have a big media event today. Instead, RC decided that the blue ribbons representing missing persons that had been hung on Rachel's memorial tree when it was planted back in January needed to be replaced. Some of the ribbons had blown away and those that remained were weathered and faded. RC's mother and his sisters Elaine and Diane spent the morning helping make new ribbons, carefully making sure that names, dates, ages and states were correct on each ribbon.

At approximately 1:00 p.m., the Cooke family headed for Georgetown High School where Rachel's tree was planted on January 10, 2003. The first order of business was to remove the remaining ribbons and tidy up around the base of the tree. I watched as the Cooke family lovingly tended to the tree and commented on how much the tree has grown since January.

Once the old ribbons were removed, the Cookes replaced them with the new ribbons. Three of the missing people on those ribbons had anniversary dates today. Rachel has been missing 18 months; Kent Jacobs and Laura Ayala have been missing 16 months. Others have been missing longer. How do these families endure the loss of a child or loved one as the hours turn into days, weeks, months, years?

After the new ribbons were on the tree, RC placed a dozen pink roses at the base of the tree for Rachel then the rest of us placed a dozen peach roses on top of RC’s roses. Rachel's aunt offered a prayer and the official marking of another sad anniversary for the Cooke family ended but I am positive that the Cookes are spending the rest of the day quietly wondering where Rachel is.

My heart goes out to the Cookes, the Jacobs, the Ayalas and all of the families who are leaving a light on in hope that their loved ones will be returned to them. May it be safely and soon.

©Jacqueline L. Riggs 2003

4. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Crisp new ribbons for missing loved ones are replacing those that had blown away and the remaining weathered and faded ones on Rachel's tree.

5. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Rachel's Aunt Elaine reflects for a moment before placing her roses at the base of Rachel's memorial tree.

6. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

We came so close to seeing Sabrina Allen's ribbon come off of Rachel's tree last month. I have no doubt that we will see Greg bring Sabrina to the tree to remove it someday very soon.

I look forward to the day that all of those blue ribbons can come off of Rachel's tree. It would the one of the best moments in my life if I could watch Rachel remove her own.

7. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Another Summer Without Rachel

My heart goes out to RC, Janet, Joanne and extended family as yet another season goes by without their lovely Rachel.

Likewise to Jackye Jacobs, who is sorely missing her brother Kent, and to the Ayala family who have not yet recovered Laura.

Thank you, JR, for these very touching photos. RC and Janet have such big hearts....they have room in their hearts for all the missing children and adults, and for their families.

God Bless You, RC and Janet. May God soon reward your efforts, and bring these missing loved ones home.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice