The two knives

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by icedtea4me, Mar 20, 2005.

1. icedtea4me

icedtea4me Member

There are two knives relevant to this case- Burke's Swiss Army knife found in the basement on a counter and the paring knife found on the counter of the 2nd floor laundry area just outside of JonBenet's room. First off, I want to say that I think that both John and Patsy were involved in what happened that night. So, having said that, this is what I think transpired. While they were in the basement, John told Patsy he needed a knife to cut the cord. Patsy goes up to the kitchen, retrieves the paring knife, and brings it downstairs to cut the cord. The ends are frayed which, imo, means that it was cut with something not conducive to cutting such material. At some point, one of them decides that another knife needs to be used on the duct tape. Patsy goes back upstairs, bringing the paring knife with her. She goes into JonBenet's room to gather some items and places the paring knife on JonBenet's bed. In doing so, fibers from the cord are then transferred to the sheets and she may have even wiped the knife on the sheets. She brings everything to the laundry area and sets the paring knife on the counter. Then she opens up the cabinet with the package of Pull-ups inside, pulls out the Pull-ups just far enough so she can reach back and obtain Burke's Swiss army knife which LHP has hidden inside. The paring knife is left on the counter and the Swiss army knife and the other items are brought down to the basement. Does this scenario make any sense?

2. Little

Little Member

Your sequense of events sounds credible to me icedtea4me.

3. Little

Little Member

I'm not posting this to imply anything at all about Burke, it's just a reference to where the knife was found.

4. Elle

Elle Member

Little,

If the cupboard above the sink, is the same cupboard where the pullups were stored, and assuming that Patsy Ramsey was the one who made sure JonBenét wore a pullup at bedtime, then it's possible the red knife could have been discovered.

I'm also thinking here, surely the cut in the garotte cord was checked out with Burke's red whittling knife(?). If so, and it matched, wouldn't this have warranted an arrest of Patsy and John Ramsey?

In my estimation, knowing all I know now, it didn't seem to matter what evidence led to Patsy or John Ramsey, they escaped being arrested.

5. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

I should also think that both knives were tested for fingerprints. I don't recall reading or hearing anything about what those results could have been.

6. Little

Little Member

I don't recall that either Deja, but it would seem that they must have been tested for fingerprints, fibers and possibly residue from the duct tape. I have read some about that, but nothing that was backed up with any documentation or sources. I know that when I am trying to tear a piece of duct tape I cut a small slice into it though to get it started. It is "sticky" as Patsy said in the NE book, and I don't like to get that on the scissors or knife I am using, so I tear it after I get a place to get a grip on it.

Little

7. sue

sue Member

I can't believe they wouldn't have tested them for fingerprints, etc.
    Since the knives "belonged" in the house, there would be nothing unusual about fingerprints from anyone in the family being on them. I think there would be something, somewhere if either they were wiped clean of fingerprints or had anything on them that could even possibly point to anyone outside the house (can't believe Team Ramsey would not be using them as eveidence if that was the case).
    I do the same with duct tape. It's hard to start a tear unless you do a little cut, but once you start, it's easy to finish the tear. I try to use my scissor or knife the least possible with that sticky stuff.

8. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

I use black duct tape a lot and I can tear it easily with my fingers. OTOH, I cannot break cellotape and I have a bad habit of breaking it with my teeth. For this reason, I wondered if the edges of the tape had been tested for DNA.

9. Elle

Elle Member

With that house having been wiped clean of fingerprints etc. bar a few on the bowl containing the pineapple, Patsy was on top of the "CLEANUP JOB' as well as the "COVERUP." After all, she was very much an "IN CHARGE" person. She was a pro when it came to creating "WHATEVER WAS CALLED FOR." JMO.

10. icedtea4me

icedtea4me Member

I guess the location of these knives has always intrigued me and I simply tried to come up with a logical step-by-step scenario to explain why they were found in those places. And since paring knives are used on fruits and vegetables (I think LHP told investigators she had used that particular knife to peel potatoes), could this knife have been used on the pineapple that night?

11. Little

Little Member

Excellent questions icedtea4me. It is frustrating, isn't it, not having the details!? Hopefully in the days after the Ramseys left the house LE collected all these items for testing. Mike Kane said there are many many things that the public has just not been told. Quite likely the answers to your qestions are sealed at the DA's office - not very promising, is it?

Little

12. sue

sue Member

I think I remember reading someplace that the pineapple found in the refrigerator was fresh pineapple that has been bought already cut up. The stuff I remember reading was that there was more pineapple in a store container in the refrigerator (the information might have been from the Bonita papers).

13. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

Sue, according to news reports, a bowl of cut pineapple was found on the Ramseys' table the morning of the 26th by police, not in the fridge. I don't recall that particular pineapple ever having been sourced or analyzed as to how it was cut, whether pre-packaged or cut in the Ramsey kitchen prior to serving. I've only ever seen it speculated on the forums. If there's a credible source for the fridge or determination of its condition when found, please post it as the tie-in to the paring knife might be very credible.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/10/01/48hours/main523875.shtml

http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/forensics/cyril_wecht/6.html?sect=21

http://www.acandyrose.com/page38.gif

http://www.acandyrose.com/page39.gif

14. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

about the pineapple

In an interview with police Patsy said she sometimes purchased pineapple already cut and packaged. I believe she named the store she usually bought it from, but I think I remember reading that she didn't recall if there was any in their refrigerator that night.

15. Tez

Tez Member

I thought ST said they matched that pineapple down to the rind? Does pre-cut pineapple have a rind? I don't buy it, I only buy canned.

16. Little

Little Member

This might be what you are referring to Tez :)

17. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

Thanks, Little, I can always count on you! Ok then, I consider ST a credible witness. So the pineapple was fresh, bought from some store, so it would have had to have been sliced up into chunks in the Ramsey home sometime at least up to the evening of 12/25/96. So the paring knife could be a real tie-in at least to that evidence. Wonder what forensic test results were on it. Anybody know? :grouphug:

18. Little

Little Member

So...I guess Burke's knife was in the cupboard by JonBenet's room (on the second floor) and ended up near her body in the basementand it was the paring knife that was on the counter near JonBenet's room on the second floor. Geesh this gets confusing!

19. icedtea4me

icedtea4me Member

Texan, I'm pretty sure it was Safeway as the store PR mentioned from which she bought this already cut and packaged pineapple. I'm guessing its top and bottom were sliced off, its core was removed, then it was cut into slices with the rind still intact.

20. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

yea

Thanks - I thought it was Safeway. I can clearly remember reading that she bought it already cut up. I think the rind part is just some that gets left behind - not the total rind but pieces of it.

I have tried to find the interview where she mentions this - I think it is the 1998 interview which I found on acandyrose.com but it is only excerpts of the interview and it doesn't include this statement. I'm looking for the whole interview but haven't found it yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice