Valerie Singleton's article 12/26/2003

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Elle, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Elle

Elle Member

I did start reading this article over a month ago and I got sidetracked. I'm glad I came across it again. Belated Congratulations Tricia!

This article of Valerie Singleton's includes comments from Lin Wood on the DNA, D.A. Keenan, Tom Kennedy, the new Investigator,and comments from Tricia Griffiths. We haven't read too much about Tom Kennedy anywhere (?).

www.longmontfyi.com/ramsey/storyDetail03.asp?ID=38

12/26/2003
    DNA submitted in Ramsey case

By Valerie Singleton
    The Daily Times-Call

Singleton begins her article with the DNA news you have all read recently.

..................................................................................

Tom Bennett:

“My honest answer on this is I do not know if it’s solvable,†says Tom Bennett, the lead investigator on the Ramsey case for the DA’s office. “I’m only one guy. I’ve been here six months. I have a lot of stuff I have to look through.â€

That “stuff†includes stacks of tens of thousands of documents that date back as far as Dec. 26, 1996, when the girl’s beaten and strangled body was found in the basement of her Boulder home.
    ---

But JonBenet has become a full-time investment for Bennett, who said he works at least 40 hours a week, knocking on doors and interviewing folks who might hold the key that unlocks the answer to the girl’s murder. In addition, retired Colorado Springs homicide investigator Lou Smit works the case part time.

---

.................................................................................

Tricia Griffith admits that interest in the JonBenet Ramsey murder investigation has wavered.

But to say that it has deteriorated altogether is a gross exaggeration, she says.

Type in “JonBenet Ramsey†on the search engine www.google.com and you will receive at least 27,600 hits — or Web pages — about the young girl. That doesn't take into account alternate spellings, like “Jon Benet Ramsey,†for which there are more than 7,500 matches.

“You would be surprised how many people are interested,†says Griffith, owner of www .forumsforjustice.org, a Web site intent on discussing “true crime cases.’ The primary focus of Griffith’s site, like thousands of others, is the JonBenet Ramsey investigation.

Owners of some sites profess they know who is behind the December murder. Others post graphic pictures in an attempt to demonstrate how JonBenet was killed. Griffith says her site is distinguished by the fact that its many members — ranging from business professionals to housewives — conduct research and have gathered limited facts about the case to promote civilian justice.

“I think we’re very dedicated,†Griffith said. “You’ll find that we have a lot of intelligent posters and we're proactive. We try to poke a stick in the tiger's cage to get it up and moving again.â€

That was precisely Griffith’s motive when she requested from the Boulder District Attorney's Office a copy of the 911 call placed by Patsy Ramsey on the morning of Dec. 26, 1996. Her request was prompted by statements made by Wood, who appeared on numerous TV programs this summer to deny reports that Patsy, John and Burke Ramsey could be heard at the end of the tape.

read more ... ... ....

........................................................................................................

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2004
  2. Elle

Elle Member

Well done Tricia!

Thank you Tricia, for speaking so well about all the posters
    who post on the JonBenét forums. Well done! It was great to see your name mentioned with Tom Kennedy's, and the other unmentionables.

More power to you young Tricia!:p

Posted Singleon's article over at Crime and Justic too!

3. imon128

imon128 Banned

You just gotta know we love our Tricia! The world could use more like her and her efforts to help others.

4. Elle

Elle Member

Thank you for all your hard work Tricia!

You're so right Imon! We have a lot to thank her for.

Imon. take a look. It seems we both have 229 posts each. :p

5. Elle

Elle Member

My apologies Tez!

I have just come across the same article posted by Tez on Page 2 Sorry about this! No harm done! It's all in praise of Tricia! :p

6. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Valerie Singleton

Does anyone know if she is British? We have a journalist/presenter here of that name.

7. Elle

Elle Member

Maybe she's one and the same and her column is syndicated, Jayelles (?). I read in your post you said you were in Scotland. I remember the Daily Times being sold there. :) Maybe it's just a coincidence.

8. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Elle

It's not a hugely common name. I just wondered. If it is the same woman then she's an extremely nice person.

9. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Elle...

You inadvertently referred to Tom Bennett, the new investigator, as Tom Kennedy, but that's OK. I can see how you'd get Kennedy and Bennett mixed up...

Teddy Kennedy :glug:

Sue Bennett :balloon:

10. Elle

Elle Member

Thank you Thank you !

Thank you, Lurker. I'll go and edit it right now. Jeesh. No! I think it's a question of old age. I'm getting too old for all this posting! That's the truth! I'm probably the oldest gal here. Shush, but my closest of friends know this. :-( Can I have a slug of whatever you're drinking?:D

It's nice I can still edit my post a good few days after I wrote it.

Teddy Kennedy and Sue Bennett - a match made in heaven!:eek:

11. Bobby1st

Bobby1st Member

Lurker! I think we have the same sense of humor. Just wanted to mention it on a quiet day. How about Monty Python? After thinking about Ted the swimmer I need some laughs.

12. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Two years earlier......

The outlook was dim. Tricia - we are forever grateful....

http://web.dailycamera.com/extra/ramsey/2001/16acult.html

JonBenét Web sites dwindle as case stagnates

By Christine Reid
    Camera Staff Writer

After five years, digital dust has begun to collect in place of some Web sites dedicated to Boulder's slain child beauty queen JonBenét Ramsey.

Some sites have fizzled from lack of interest. For others, it came down to cost. And bigger, more recent events, such as the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, have garnered much of the Internet society's attention.

Still, a handful of die-hard Internet Ramsey followers refuse to give up posting to the surviving sites, no matter how much time has passed.

JusticeWatch.com, a forum where surfers once exchanged ideas, played detective or just gossiped about Boulder police and the Ramseys, recently shut down, along with maketoast.com.

"Crap, all the decent message boards are disappearing!!!!," one "poster" wrote on maketoast.com's bulletin board before the site disappeared earlier this month. The page once dedicated to images of JonBenét was shut down because Nick Williams, who ran it for four years, said he couldn't afford to pay the hosting fees any longer. Williams did put the domain name — now famous after a bogus online confession was posted in its guest book in September — for sale on eBay and is seeking a buyer for at least $5,000.

Even some of the most popular Ramsey Web sites are suffering.

Mrs. Brady, the unidentified Pennsylvania woman who has been called the ringmaster of the Ramsey Internet cult circus, is noticing the number of hits dwindling at her site, holoworld.com/ mrsbrady.During the grand jury investigation that ended in 1999, her site peaked at close to 2,000 visitors a day. Now, it averages around 450 on weekdays and 300 on the weekends.

"It doesn't surprise me, but it's disappointing, of course. I personally don't want it to end," said Brady, who signs her sarcastic postings each day with the name Carol. "I think (JonBenét) needs her own page. Every day when I get up and do the page, I get angry again."

Since the fall of 1997, Brady has posted articles on the case seven days a week — a chore that takes her up to four hours a day.

It is rumored that even the Ramseys visit her page, which is approaching the million-hit mark.

Michael Tracey, professor of journalism at the University of Colorado and director of a couple of Ramsey documentaries, said the Internet pages dedicated to JonBenét reveal a "very, very strange world."

Users often fight with one another or vent their anger toward the Ramsey family or Boulder police. The obsessive and violent nature that exists says something about today's society, Tracey said.

"It's a very angry world and embodies a serious anger in people's lives," he said. "I think the reasons for that are very complex and have nothing to do with JonBenét's life."

Tracey does not think cyber-sleuthing has compromised the 5-year-old investigation.

"I don't think it is possible to muddle this investigation that is already so far gone," he said.

Jameson 245 — screen name for Susan Bennett of North Carolina — is a self-proclaimed Ramsey junkie. Her online forum includes a private chat room for paying subscribers.

"Sept. 11 put the Ramseys on the back burner," said Bennett, 50. "The true Ramsey addicts are still online, though, and quite active."

This time of year also tends to preoccupy surfers with holiday chores, but that doesn't mean they've forgotten about the Ramsey case, Bennett said.

She's a regular Ramsey tipster who frequently forwards information gleaned from her site's followers to authorities in Boulder. Bennett's site, wwwJameson 245 was temporarily shut down after she forwarded a copy of a bogus confession posted on the Web in September, and police seized her account. Authorities later determined it was a hoax.

In hindsight, Bennett said, she wished she had never begun her quest to find the killer.

"It's like any addiction. Would you want to be addicted to anything for five years?" she said last week. "I never thought it would get to this."

Many people have been introduced to the Internet because of the Ramsey case.

"I didn't know about this Internet subculture" until JonBenét's death, said Mary K. McAuliffe, a Michigan woman who has become a regular visitor of Ramsey online fodder.

Candy — her screen name — now fancies herself a cybersluth after digging up information relevant to the case and posting it online, such as a warrant police issued to view America Online files when the fake confession was posted in September.

McAuliffe said that because she grew up in the same Michigan town as JonBenét's father, John Ramsey, she was immediately enticed by the case. The Internet provided a plethora of information and an easy conduit to share ideas with others immersed in the case, she said.

"There is a tremendous discussion," McAuliffe said. "I think the cops should be monitoring the (chat) boards more closely."

She concedes, however, there is a lot of misinformation floating around in cyberspace.

"There's also a bunch of crackpots," McAuliffe said.

Contact reporter Christine Reid at (303) 473-1355 or reidc@thedailycamera.com.

December 16, 2001

13. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Candy Quote

"There's also a bunch of crackpots," McAuliffe said.

BWAHAHAHAHA!

14. Elle

Elle Member

Hat identities (?)

Thank you for posting this Daily Camera article RR. I now know the identity of Candy (Mary McAuliffe ). Now if you could just please oblige me and find out the names of all the following hats:

Just wishful thinking! :p

15. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Yeh, Lurker

I fell out of my chair laughing at that one, too. Talk about the pot...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice