Way To Go Bill

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Barbara, Jan 19, 2007.

1. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Someone should check the judge's children.... Seriously.

Fricking freaks.

2. tylin

tylin Banned

OMG! What inexcusable bs.
    :burnedup: :bsflag: :censored: :flipper: :banghead: :404:

3. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

In today's online Newsweek -

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16724481/site/newsweek/

Odd Parallels
    The sister of a boy freed from a kidnapper after seven years details the difficulties ahead for Shawn Hornbeck

Web Exclusive
    By Andrew Murr
    Newsweek
    Updated: 7:38 p.m. CT Jan 20, 2007

Jan. 20, 2007 - Cory Stayner knows all too well what the family of Shawn Hornbeck—rescued last week from his alleged kidnapper after four years in captivity—must be going through. The Merced, Calif., mother was 11 when her brother Steven Stayner was reunited with his family after seven long years. The boy’s 1980 return capped one of the most famous missing-persons cases in recent decades, and strikingly parallels this week’s ending to Hornbeck’s alleged kidnapping by Michael Devlin, who pleaded not-guilty on Friday. As Stayner watched the 15-year-old Hornbeck and his parents on “The Oprah Winfrey Show†this week, she says she “saw a lot of us†in the Missouri family. She was relieved for Shawn and his parents, Pam and Craig Akers. But she knew their struggle wasn’t over. “I feel for them: They’ve got a lot of stuff in front of them,†she told NEWSWEEK.

The Stayner kidnapping dominated the family’s life long after Steven’s safe return. He was abducted in 1972 at age 7 from a Merced street by convicted pedophile Kenneth Parnell, who along with an accomplice had lured the second-grader into a car by saying they were collecting funds for a church. Brainwashing Stayner into thinking his parents no longer wanted him, Parnell sexually abused the boy for years while moving from town to town around California, enrolling him in various schools. Then in early 1980, Parnell brought home a 5-year-old boy named Timmy White and told Stayner, then 14, that he was growing too old. Rather than let Parnell abuse the newcomer, Stayner escaped with White, hitchhiking 40 miles to a police station. (In a similar turn of events, Hornbeck was rescued by police after his captor abducted a younger boy). Parnell served five years in prison, but was convicted again in 2004 for trying to coerce a caregiver into procuring a young boy for him for $500. Now 76, Parnell is serving 25 years to life.

Cory Stayner knows outsiders wonder why Shawn Hornbeck didn’t escape when he had the chance, just as they wondered about her brother. But she and her family had no doubts as to the answer: Even before Steven returned, investigators warned them that abductors often gain the cooperation and loyalty of their victims. “My parents and the authorities already assumed he was brainwashed,†she says. “When Steven came back, he said he was told by Kenneth Parnell that he’d been adopted. He believed Parnell.â€

Stayner knows that Shawn’s return to a normal life will likely be tough for him and his family. “It’s going to be hard for this child, like Steven, to adjust to new rules—to rules, period,†she says. “Where he was living he didn’t have any. . . The kid hitchhiked to school half the time.†Reentry was a mix of joy and pain for Stayner. He readjusted with fits and starts, talking about the lost years mainly by deflecting serious questions. But he eagerly participated in family events, and laughed and got into normal teenage trouble. Still, students at school derided him as a “faggot,†his sister says, because Parnell’s abuse had been well-publicized. He married at 20, had two children and seemed to settle down. Then in 1989, at age 24, he was killed when a car pulled out in front of his motorcycle on a Merced highway. Cory happened to be driving by when she saw paramedics treating a downed motorcyclist, and only learned later that it was her brother. The family’s tragedy wasn’t over: In 1999, her brother Cary was arrested for the murder of four women in nearby Yosemite National Park. Convicted, he sits on California’s death row.

Above all else, Cory Stayner says, families of kidnap victims need good, therapeutic guidance. In the early '80s, the Stayners got little such help. Steven received counseling, but Cory says the rest of the family could have used it, too. Families need to “learn how to cope with it and how not to hide their feelings,†she says. “All of a sudden now [he’s] back in our lives. The [siblings] know it’s a good thing, but they don’t know how to feel or how to think about it, or what they are supposed to say to him. I never knew what to say to my brother.†Without guidance, the Stayner family struggled to find ways to ask Steven about the darker sides of his missing years. At first Cory was so young she didn’t understand that Parnell had sexually abused her brother. Then, when she asked, he made jokes to avoid the topic. (She now understands that abuse victims often keep quiet to shield family members from the horrible truth). Finally, she asked her brother a pointed question about his abuse, and he gave her a straight answer. “It was the one time he really went into detail,†she says. “It was not something I really wanted to hear. I can’t even repeat it … but I guess you could say it gave me an idea of how bad Kenneth Parnell really is.†The family hit on one creative way to satisfy their curiosity about the lost years: they piled into an RV and visited Steven’s old haunts. “We went around from place to place and he showed us where he lived. We met all of his friends,†his sister says. “I thnk it helped him. He dealt with a lot of things.†Cory Stayner hopes that, someday, Shawn Hornbeck and his family will enjoy the same kind of healing.

© 2007 Newsweek, Inc.

4. Elle

Elle Member

Oh Amber, please tell me this judge was publicly tarred and feathered by the community (?).

Amber, were any of the English newspapers named in this article? Danah Zohar should have stated her source. When and where etc. I'm having trouble with this. Surely the locals took this judge to task for not sending him to prison(?).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2007
  5. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

Hopefully that judge won't be "judging" any longer

If there was ever a reason to get rid of a judge, this is it!

He could always relocate to Boulder where his sort of thinking is the norm apparently

6. Elle

Elle Member

Cherokee,

Your post brings tears to my eyes. This is so sad. Is there no justice for the innocents of this world? This poor boy, Steven Staynor just wasn't meant to have a happy life, was he? Something wrong with this picture, Cherokee (?).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2007
  7. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

Sick, disgusting and WTF was this stupid pedo loving judge thinking? No excuse period for the stepfather! At least the English are outraged....whereas in Boulder....

8. Cherokee

So if you're sexually frustrated it's okay to rape an eight-year-old girl and damage her psychologically, mentally, emotionally and maybe physically for the rest of her life just so she can satisfy your selfish and depraved lust.

That is pure and unadulterated EVIL.

I think the judge should spend some time in prison and offer himself to the lusts of the inmates who are sexually frustrated because they are not free to indulge in "normal sexual relations." Obviously, he must feel the same way about their situation and that their behaviour in raping him repeatedly would be completely "understandable."

9. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

I vote for you to take over the judge's chair and give him his sentence, Chero! That's what I call justice!

10. Cherokee

Of course that judge in the UK would say the behaviour of perverts and rapists who prey upon innocent children in the world-wide sex trade is understandable given their sexual frustration and that they are not to be held responsible for their actions. He makes me sick.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/01/23/sex.workers/index.html

Girl, 6, embodies Cambodia's sex industry

POSTED: 10:45 p.m. EST, January 24, 2007
    By Dan Rivers
    CNN

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia (CNN) -- At an age when most children might be preparing for their first day of school, Srey, 6, already has undergone trauma that is almost unspeakable.

She was sold to a brothel by her parents when she was 5. It is not known how much her family got for Srey, but other girls talk of being sold for $100; one was sold for $10.

Before she was rescued, Srey endured months of abuse at the hands of pimps and sex tourists.

Passed from man to man, often drugged to make her compliant, Srey was a commodity at the heart of a massive, multimillion-dollar sex industry in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

"It is huge," said Mu Sochua, a former minister of women's and veteran's affairs who is an anti-sex trade activist.

The precise scale of Cambodia's sex trade is difficult to quantify. International organizations -- such as UNICEF, ECPAT and Save the Children -- say that anywhere from from 50,000 to 100,000 women and children are involved. An estimated 30 percent of the sex workers in Phnom Penh are under the age of 18, according to the United Nations. The actual figure may be much higher, activists say.

Global sex industry
    Around the world, more than 1 million children are exploited in the global commercial sex trade each year, according to the U.S. State Department. The State Department believes Cambodia is a key transit and destination point in this trade.

"Trafficking for sexual exploitation also occurs within Cambodia's borders, from rural areas to the country's capital, Phnom Penh, and other secondary cities in the country," the State Department wrote in a 2006 report. "The Government of Cambodia does not fully comply with the minimum standards for the elimination of trafficking; however, it is making significant efforts to do so."

Sochua said that with millions of Cambodians struggling to live on less than 50 cents a day, many women turn to the sex industry. Poverty is also often what drives parents to sell their child or themselves on the streets.

"Always a child is left behind, often a girl, who is preyed on by traffickers," Sochua added.

An unlikely savior
    Srey was rescued from the life of a sex slave by Somaly Mam, a former prostitute who runs shelters for the victims of Cambodia's sex trade. Somaly has rescued 53 children, so far. Many of them have profound psychological trauma. Some clearly are mentally ill. (Watch how one woman has saved dozens of children from brothels )

"A lot of them, when they arrive, have psychological problems ... very big problems. ... And they never have love by the people, by their parents," Somaly said.

One girl at Somaly's shelter appears especially disturbed. She was rescued after being imprisoned for two years in a cage, where she was repeatedly raped.

She needs psychiatric care, but there is none available. Somaly says she does her best to give this girl love and support, but that it's not easy with so many other needy children around.

Somaly herself suffered terrible ordeals when she worked the streets, including seeing her best friend murdered. She is determined to build something positive out of so much despair.

Her work has caught the attention of world leaders, celebrities and religious figures. Her office in Phnom Penh is adorned with photos of her meeting Pope John Paul II and messages of support from governments and charities.

Despite the attention, Somaly said the situation on the street is not getting better. Gang rapes of prostitutes are becoming more common, she said, and many of the attackers don't use condoms. Instead, they share a plastic bag.

"Poor women, they have been raped by eight, 10, 20, 25 men ... they hit them. They receive a lot of violence," she said.

HIV-AIDS also remains a persistent, though declining, problem among Cambodia's female sex workers.

About 20 percent of Cambodia's female sex workers are HIV-positive, according to Cambodia's Ministry of Health. This compares with the 39 percent of sex workers who tested positive in 1996, according to the Health Ministry.

To help sex workers transition to a more normal life, Somaly is hoping to expand her refuge in the countryside outside Phnom Penh, where former sex workers attend school and learn skills like weaving and sewing.

Asked what the future holds for Srey, Somaly stroked the girl's hair and paused.

Srey is HIV-positive, she said.

In such a poor country, without decent hospitals or medical care, Srey's future is bleak. Somaly just hopes she can make this girl's life bearable for as long as it lasts.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  11. Show Me

Somaly is my hero! An amazing woman.

12. Cherokee

Yes, she is. I cannot say how much I admire her and the work she is doing for those children she has rescued. People like Somaly should be on the front pages of our newspapers and heralded on the news shows instead of those vacuous, inane, immoral, empty-headed, selfish sleaze-balls we call celebrities.

13. Show Me

Well I don't take any celebrity seriously wether doing good works or in politics! All my first thoughts are public relations and ego. I guess a few are sincere but I've not the time to sort it out.

Somaly is a real hero, and yes we need more people like her in the news.

I'd also like to see some actors portraying one of these real people look like a real person and not all glamed up...

14. Amber

Amber Member

I looked for her source in the book and was surprised at not being able to find a footnote or reference in the bibliography. So I did an Internet search but couldn't find it. I did find other similar cases, which makes it seem to be
    a common occurrence.

http://www.truthaboutrape.co.uk/2005campaign.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8163-1974680,00.html

15. tylin

tylin Banned

Why, why, why is child sex trade accepted in any country? :wtf:
    I am saddened, disgusted and appalled at this crime. My gawd I think of the things my children enjoyed at age 5. They were so precious and innocent.
    Something needs to be done to anyone and everyone who supports and promotes this despicable crime.

16. wombat

wombat Member

When they arrested Cary Staynor for the Yosemite killings, I was like, "Staynor, Staynor, where have I heard that before?" and I actually thought of "I Know My First Name is Steven", the TV miniseries about the case. (yes, I am a true-crime-obsessed ghoul...)

I have wondered if the horror of Steven's abduction ruined Cary. Murderers are supposed to be created in early childhood - this guy was almost a serial killer, but he got caught before he got too high a score, as far as we know. Perhaps the trauma of his brother's abduction, and the despair it would have caused in his home, exacerbated something that was already there, and turned a slightly "off" boy into a monster.

Poor Cory Staynor, though. I hope she lives in some sort of peace.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice