Why No One in Law Enforcement Should Ignore the Internet

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

It's really too bad

but there really is a blue line - it's the cops against everyone else, I think. And, when you consider that, by virtue of their jobs, that the majority of people cops deal with are criminals and the dregs of society, sometimes they just lose sight of the fact that there are still sane and good people out there.

I still don't like Beckner's tone in his e-mail to Tricia. He has a responsibility to treat people with respect, even if he harbors resentment in his heart toward the public. You know, though, some people are just plain miserable. I had a woman come in my office a couple of days ago, complaining her butt off because she was asked to do something for someone. She annoyed me. I said, boy, you're miserable, how do you stand to be around yourself. Takes all kinds, I guess.

If one thinks about it, there is a very good chance that someone has it just right on the forums - someone, maybe more than one, out of all the posters over the years, has what happened to JBR that night exactly right. If Beckner doesn't have time to read the posts, he should have someone else doing it. Even though many of us know who the real people are behind the hats on this forum, there have been hats we certainly don't know. Anyone, including the killer of JBR could be posting. It's really foolish for LE to turn its back on a possible lead or what amounts to a gold mine of ideas and possible information on the forums.

With all the animosity coming out of Bouder toward outsiders, it's significant to note the killer of JonBenet Ramsey is still out there, going on with his/her life, putting it all behind him/her. Authorities in Boulder haven't been able to arrest anyone. The baffoons working on it now inside the DA's office aren't going anywhere with it. It's been nothing but stonewalling since the beginning. Why not tap into the resources on the forums? Can't do much worse than Boulder has done.

2. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Hey I wasn't trying to be involved at all. His department was giving me the run-a-round. I asked for help. So he took out on me his feelings for the publc. Nice.

3. Watching You

The Boulder DAs

seem to have a history of dissing the Boulder cops, don't they. Hunter dissed Steve Thomas in public. Mary Keenan dissed the cop you refer to, Bob, in public. What is it with these bozos that they can't keep their dirty laundry private? Do they need to belittle the police department to make themselves look good? I never got that.

Mame. Why didn't someone do something about her? I realize she's supposed to be small potatoes in the scheme of what happened with the Krebs thing, but she did so much damage, not only to Fleet White and his family but to the entire case with her incessant prattle and interference. I still think her involvement started with Hunter, and then Lee Hill. I also think Singular was involved, but that's only my opinion. You really have to wonder about her choice of company, considering he threatened his own wife with a gun and is now a wanted fugitive. I mean, talk about criminals...she's got a lot of noive talking about a poster on this forum considering who she's been hanging out with.

4. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

That's right, WY. DA's and cops are always uhhhh disagreeing but I have never seen a DA's office dog their PD in the press over and over and over again like that. I never heard or read Beckner stab them in the back that way.

Now regarding Mame and Jameson--the cops don't even mention their names EVER because they want them to have the attention they deserve. KnowwhatI'msayin?

5. Watching You

Yes, Bob

I knowwhatyou'resaying.

OTOH, one of those to whom the BPD gives the attention she deserves claims to have been working with Lou Smit on the JBR case. Now, how does that work? This is the detective who is supposed to be such a whip; yet, not only, by his own admission, has he spoken with the code 6 wingnut, the wingnut has been in his house. I mean, you gotta know that's gotta have the cops shaking their heads in disbelief. She's a freaking civilian with no more business sticking her nose in this case than any other civilian, but Smit has her working on confidential case matters? So, what happens if the case ever goes to court?

My Gawd. Think about it. It's a total clusterfluck. Some poor sacrifical lamb has been indicted for murdering JBR because of the brilliant work of Lou Smit and his bimbo helper. Mary Keenan is prosecuting this poor sap. The defense attorney calls Susan Bennett to the stand....

...and presents her with all the posts about her being raped by her brother with snakes crawling around, her stories about being a foster mother to a zillion kids, all the freaky posts she's posted for the past seven years, including her posts defending Danielle Van Dam's killer, Westerfield and the vindictive posts she made about the Van Dams...

Defense Attorney: And, is it true, Ms. Wingnut, I mean Bennett, that you assisted the defective detective, Lou Smit, in gathering evidence against my client, the defendent.

Wingnut: Yes, I consulted with ole' Lou. He da man. The killer killed her.

Defense Attorney: I see. Let's see, I don't seem to have - Your honor, I don't seem to find a vita on Ms. Wingnut, I mean Bennett. The prosecution failed to give us a list of Ms. Wingnut, I mean Bennett's, qualifications to consult on a murder case. Well, then, Ms. Wingnut, I mean Bennett, what ARE your qualifications?

Wingnut: My brother raped me and I stabbed him.

Defense: Say what?

Wingnut: I am a bread-baking housewife with an addiction to the Internet. I know more about the JBR case than anyone in the www (whole wide world). I stole the name of my forum, I stole Murphy's work. I'm such a clever little witch. I'm a good liar, too.

Defense: Those are impressive credentials, Ms. Wingnut, I mean Bennett. Didn't you send some dirty underwear to the BPD so they could analyze the DNA on them?

Wingnut: Oh, I shore did, you bet your boots I did, Mr. Defense Attorney.

Defense: Where did you get the dirty underwear, Ms. Wingnut, forget the Bennett?

Wingnut: I cannot give up my sources, but if you post on my swamp, I'll give out your personal information if you post misinformation.

Defense: One more question, Ms. Wingnut. Did you or did you not cyberstalk a professor by the name of Don Foster?

Wingnut: Him and a guy named Helgoth and let's see, that Boots guy, and some other worthless person named Oliva, and Ariana Pugh and her father. Yep, I got em all, why, I even went after Santa, that fat bastid.

Defense: You're a piece of work, Ms. Wingnut.

Wingnut: Thank you, I think so, too.

6. Elle

Elle Member

Oh good grief, WY. I Know you're writing with tongue in cheek, and being serious all at the same time, but what a fiasco it has been! It's like one big nightmare after another

For, a once highly respected detective like Lou Smit to be linked with Jameson is a real sad state of affairs.

7. Watching You

That is exactly the point, Elle

it is a sad state of affairs, a calamity of errors, an asylum run by the inmates.

To really face the enormity of the stupid decisions made by people who ought to know better and the devastating effects those decisions have had and continue to have on the investigation and future prosecution of the case could make a grown man sit down and cry.

It just boggles the mind what's gone on in Boulder. And, they think the fools are on the internet forums. I've never seen such halfwits in my life as those in power in Boulder and that clown, Smit.

8. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

On the one hand, I agree with WY. The position of chief of police usually entails considerable public relations responsibilities and if the dude can't handle it, he should be replaced. Having been married in a past life to LE, I know too how jaded they can become after years of dealing with all the crazies and the pressure. But then, Boulder ain't Detroit or L.A. either. How much crime could occur in that kind of town before cop psyches become warped beyond recognition? Nevertheless, Beckner was a pig (no pun intended) to you, Tricia, and I would demand an apology.

OTOH, though, ya gotta remember. Your contact with Beckner was only 8 mos. after the entire Ramsey case was brashly removed from BPD jurisdiction on the wings of longstanding allegations they screwed it up, leaked info to the media, and ST's depo was publicly disclosed. At the time the case was subject to hostile takeover by the geniuses at BDA, BPD was looking mighty bad. Then Carnes' brilliant analysis of the case was just released, Keenan publicly supported it, and along comes your email innocently proclaiming more department screw ups. That's gotta sting big time, and cops traditionally don't take a flouncing like that and just bounce back. Cop-egos are easily wounded and take lifetimes to heal, if ever.

Not only stinging from a public humiliation, but BPD could have been under orders to stay absolutely clear of the Ramsey case or else.....cuz the Woodmeister had issued that threat of suit in that timeline as well. Your email arrived at a time when BPD was doing everything in their power to distance themselves from the whole mess.

As for LE having a complete disinterest in the internet, I'd have to heartily disagree. The FBI monitors the www 24/7, there are many undercover detectives using the internet to stalk and bust pedophiles all over the country (Rolling Stone mag had a great article about a NH detective recently) and many agencies around the country have email links that are terrific sources of case info and tips. I think we should keep this focus on just the BPD who once thought the internet was a great enough resource to monitor and participate at the forums B.K. (before Keenan) but have since sung a different tune. Only in Boulder does life spin back-asswards.

9. Twitch

Twitch Active Member

Hey Tricia

Here's a good tip I have picked up over the years when I need to cut to the chase on any subject. Find out the name of the secretary of the person you need to deal with and contact her. She is the one that really runs the show and in most cases her sense of public relations will be more intact. I bet Beckner's secretary would be a good person to know.

Now, do you want me to go beat him with my shoe?

10. Niner

Niner Active Member

that was my first thought - "you sure this didn't go to Susan Stine?? Maybe that's why you got the runaround??!! :-(

11. Niner

Niner Active Member

so quite right WY! People come up with all sorts of scenerios that ae SO good and make sense!! Especially about Scott P. I love reading the 'good' forums - I love mysteries and the internet has some really good minds in solving or putting forward some VERY interesting theories that the police SHOULD be looking at!

I'm really looking forward to this new "cold case" files section! :cop:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice