Yana Huss Murder Case and Memorial Fund

Discussion in 'Yana Huss' started by ACandyRose, Aug 8, 2007.

1. ACandyRose

ACandyRose Super Moderator

This is a wonderful article.

And WOW, she got a driver's license and a car !! Fantastic. :)

I'm so happy for Elena and the children, give them all a big hug next time for me. :)

ACR

2. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

http://www.winknews.com/news/local/10554807.html

PUNTA GORDA - A boy lost his mother to murder, even worse, the state argues 8-year-old Peter Shalin witnessed the killing. Now, the boy will testify against his step-father, Scott Huss, Tuesday.

Court documents show the boy witnessed Huss stab his mother, Yana, to death inside their Charlotte County home back in April. Reports also say, Huss then drove the boy to Huss's mother's home in Central Florida, and that it took hours for the defendant's family to notify police.

A trial date isn't set, but Peter, a Russian citizen, won't be in the country for much longer. Monday, the state said Peter will return to Russia this week to be with family. State attorney Dan Feinberg argued it would be best to get the testimony now through a closed circuit camera.

"We think he's at a point where he can talk now about what happened to him, with the least amount of trauma to him," said Feinberg.

Until the state says, he has to relive what happened inside the home.

Inside the Charlotte County Justice Center Monday afternoon, child psychologist, Dr. Robert Silver, testified, via phone, that it was too traumatic for the boy to talk about with him during their sessions together.

"In every which way he can, he's trying to avoid re-experiencing what went on," said Silver. "He's coping by suppressing, and repressing it, denying and avoiding it."

The state did not want the boy to testify in front of Huss. Both sides agreed to closed testimony, and Huss gave up his right to listen via video monitors.

"He's absolutely terrified of his step-father and seemed to worry he would get out of jail and harm him," said Silver. "It would be rather traumatic for Peter to testify in the courtroom."

Only the judge and lawyers will hear the testimony. It won't be released until the trial begins.

:justice:

Charlotte County, Fla. - According to reports 8-year-old Peter Shalin, saw his step-father Scott Huss stab and murder his mother inside their Charlotte County home back in April.

The state argued that Peter should give a testimony to a Charlotte County judge as soon as possible and that it should be done through a closed circuit camera. The decision to have Peter testify on Tuesday happened just within the past week.

Only the court will hear Peter Shalin's testimony, Scott Huss waived his right to listen by video and it will be played during the time of the trial.

3. RiverRat

!ouch:

It's time........

4. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I am glad for this. It's good news. :rose:

5. RiverRat

Yes, JC.....it is good news. And I will stop crying eventually.

6. ACandyRose

Bless Peter's sweet heart tomorrow. No child should ever have to go through something like this. River Rat, please set us know as soon as possible how Peter is after his court date tomorrow.

===============================================
    http://www.sun-herald.com/breakingnews.cfm?id=3629

Stepson to testify in Huss murder; fly home this week
    (Last updated: October 15, 2007 7:28 PM)

Peter Shalin to return to Russia this week with his grandmother following his closed testimony about the murder of his mother, Yana Huss

By JASON WITZ
    Staff Writer

PUNTA GORDA -- Peter Shalin hooted like a chimpanzee as he climbed a bench in the fourth-floor hallway of the Charlotte County Justice Center today.

The sun peeked through a shade, providing a pleasant glow on the white tile. The 8-year-old identified the family's car in the parking lot below while he peered out the large glass window. His focus then shifted to a nearby panel used for fire equipment.

The moments leading up to Peter's courtroom entrance seemed normal, but his mind is troubled by the events of April 25.

Peter watched as his mother, 31-year-old Yana Huss, was stabbed repeatedly by her husband, Scott, at her Port Charlotte home, according to authorities.

Now, as family members prepare to return Peter to Russia, he will testify about the events for the first time.

But it won't be before his stepfather, whom he fears will get out of jail and harm him.

Circuit Judge Frank Porter will hear closed testimony from Peter at 1 p.m. Tuesday. Scott Huss, 49, has agreed to be present in person or by remote television.

Porter heard arguments from both sides Monday about the timeline of Peter's deposition, and whether it should be allowed on closed-circuit television.

Throughout the hearing, the defense objected to allowing Peter to leave the country now, since it may be difficult to get follow-up testimony once the trial begins.

Yana's mother, Elena Kuchinskaya, has made arrangements for Peter to return to Russia this week. The flight leaves Wednesday evening.

The defense also questioned the timing of the deposition, since it didn't have an expert witness available for rebuttal.

Dr. Robert Silver, a clinical and family psychologist, testified via phone about his examinations with Peter this summer.

The two met four times, since family members worried about Peter's psyche.

Huss has been charged with second-degree murder.

According to police reports, Huss dropped Peter off at his stepgrandmother's front door following the murder. Peter was covered in blood and carrying a suitcase, which contained a letter from Huss, the report said.

Silver said Peter didn't want to discuss the incident during the meetings. In addition, he also seemed to cope by suppressing the memories or even denying it.

But Peter's fear of his stepfather was consistent.

"(Peter) remained terrified of his stepfather," Silver said. "He seemed worried he would get out of jail and hurt him."

Scott and Yana Huss had a 2-year-old daughter, Katrina, together. Peter was born in Russia during Yana's previous marriage. Kuchinskaya has been appointed the guardian of both children.

Huss signed a document terminating his parental rights at the Charlotte County Jail on Sept. 14. According to court records, Yana's murder followed a long history of domestic disputes between the pair; at the time of the homicide, Yana was trying to divorce Scott.

Silver said taking Peter's deposition in court would reduce his ability to think clearly. In fact, another witness recalled how Peter hid underneath a table when they mentioned him testifying before Scott Huss.

Following the arguments, Porter brought Peter into the courtroom. Huss had already been removed.

Porter made small talk with Peter about his favorite candy and sport. Peter looked up at the bench and spelled his favorite activity as "s-o-c-c-e-r."
    ===============================================

ACR

7. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Oh no. How awful all of this is. And so the children are going to Russia this week.

I mean, that's GREAT!

But not.

:cry:

Okay, when are you putting them on the plane, RR? Wed.? Hope you can get a picture for us.

8. RiverRat

I came back to post the new article, ACR - thanks for taking care of that.

It was an extremely exhausting day for the family and it is yet to be determind if I will see the kids tomorrow or the next day before they leave as Petr has a big day ahead of him first. My heart breaks for what he is being put through and I know first hand how he has been dealing with this nightmare and his legit fear of Scott. So with a heavy and happy heart, as much as it hurts, I am thankful that this part of the story is ending.

ACR & KK........if it weren't for you two........

9. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Will Yana's mother go with the children, or is she planning on staying for the trial?

10. koldkase

Perhaps today, Petr takes back his power and fears no more.

11. RiverRat

And he did.....

All in a hour and a half! :yay:

I was told that all went well and that Peter did exactly what was needed from him. Now he is off looking for winter clothing!!! :yay:

12. ACandyRose

This is WONDERFUL NEWS RR !!

Yana would be so proud of her son Peter, I know I am. :)

ACR

13. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I wish the little girl here who has to testify in the child molestation case against Dale Gentry could do it that way. But, I am glad it is over for Petr. Yeah!!!

14. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

It seems to me like her husband would be charged with first degree murder.

15. RiverRat

You are far from alone, JC.

16. koldkase

It seems to me that it should be a first degree murder charge. But we don't know what kind of deal the prosecutor has been open to, to spare Petr more trauma.

The important thing is that the monster is locked up for the rest of his life. Maybe justice is left to a higher karma in this one. Like with JonBenet.

17. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I was thinking this trial was going to be in December.

18. RiverRat

Come on now, JC - you have been around us long enough to know that going to trial in December really means that the next Docket Sounding is April 28, 2008 - One Year and 2 Days after Yana's death.

Love to You-
    RR

19. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Oh, ok. That's how it works in Texas, as a rule, too. :)

20. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

ps

Thanking you, RR. Love to you. :rose:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice