Yana Huss Murder Case and Memorial Fund

Discussion in 'Yana Huss' started by ACandyRose, Aug 8, 2007.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Top Three....

I've been waiting for this article as our local paper is running a Top Ten Countdown of the years biggest new story:

http://www.sun-herald.com/CHNewsstory.cfm?pubdate=122907&story=ch4.htm&folder=NewsArchive2

Editor's note: As 2007 draws to a close, the Sun will be counting down the top 10 stories of the year, through New Years eve. Count down number 3.

Love, drugs and money were the reasons to kill in Charlotte County this year.

With 10 homicide victims in 2007, the county hit its highest number in at least a decade, according to Florida Department of Law Enforcement statistics. The murders were apparently motivated by relationships ending, drug deals falling through and robberies going awry.

Yana Huss decided to divorce her husband, Scott Huss, after years of police intervention for domestic abuse. Huss, 31, may not have wanted the marriage to end. On April 25, he allegedly stabbed her to death, slashing her so severely he nearly decapitated her. Her 8-year-old son from a previous marriage reportedly witnessed her death at her Port Charlotte home.

Scott Huss then fled, according to the Charlotte County Sheriff's Office. Tallahassee Police arrested him at a bus station. Now, he's at the Charlotte County Jail, awaiting trial on one count of second-degree murder.

"Most often when we hear about homicide, it's when someone threatens to leave," said Kay Tvaroch, executive director of the Center for Abuse and Rape Emergencies, a victim services organization that aids Charlotte County residents facing domestic abuse. That's because domestic abuse is about power, she said -- and when an abuser faces the prospect of losing that which he controls, he may make the most decisive move of all. In light of the risk, many victims choose not to leave.

"You can't say to somebody, 'Why don't you just leave?'" Tvaroch said. "You've got to let people make their own decisions, and that's what we try to do."

:cry: :cry: :cry:

In light of the increase in homicides in Charlotte County and elsewhere in the 20th judicial circuit, the State Attorney's Office formed a Homicide Unit in late fall 2007. Daniel Feinberg and Bob Lee, both longtime prosecutors in Charlotte County, now work exclusively on homicides throughout the five-county circuit.

"I don't see any slowdown in the situation, so it's possible this unit will increase in size if we get the necessary resources," said Stephen B. Russell, state attorney for the 20th circuit, which includes Charlotte, Lee, Collier, Glades and Hendry counties. "We have to get them through the system and get criminals convicted to be protective of our citizens."

2. ACandyRose

ACandyRose Super Moderator

Thank you RR, I was wondering if and when there would any news at all on this case. I was beginning to think all your work was for nothing. :-(

So is there even a court date for a trial yet?

ACR

3. RiverRat

Acr

It could never be all for nothing. I am pretty sure that the hard part is over now and that the criminal trial will be much easier than the custody battle was. :gavel:

Per my earlier post: The next Docket Sounding is April 28, 2008 - One Year and 2 Days after Yana's death.

4. Little

Little Member

Russell seems to "get it". As much as we all wish there was some magic wand solution to protecting the innocent IMO the most effective way is to remove the criminal. If it takes bigger and better prisons then it's money well spent (Also just JMHO). It doesn't do a lot of good to prosecute if there's no place to make them serve ALL their time.

Little

5. RiverRat

Little

He is the best there is, and Thank God we have him here!

6. RiverRat

2007 Charlotte County #1 Story

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20071231/NEWS/712310429

CHARLOTTE TOP TEN STORIES OF 2007

1. THE SLAYING OF YANA HUSS

>Yana Huss was trying to escape a violent relationship with her husband, Scott Huss, before she was found stabbed to death at her home. The young Russian immigrant and mother of two had been seeking help from social service agencies and law enforcement officials before her death. Scott Huss was charged with her murder.

7. RiverRat

I just found out that there is a date set for Scott's Jury Trial!

November 12, 2008 at 9AM given there are no further delays. Over a year and a half later, Yana's family will be able to see Justice American Style....

8. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

That is good news little mouse!

9. RiverRat

It is Great news, Moab - Thanks!!! I have all kind of different emotions about this, but it is finally time for Yana to be heard.

10. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

I'm glad it is finally going to trial, and I'm looking forward to reading about it. I hope the kids are doing well. :rose:

11. RiverRat

There is expected to be at least one more continuance, so now it looks like the trial will start in Januaryish....:verdict:

JC - you hopes have come true.......

12. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Thanks for keeping us updated, RiverRat.

At least the case is moving along. The murdering scum's lawyer knows that the only thing he CAN do for that living *** is delay, delay, delay.

Glad to hear the children are doing well in Russia. I now find myself praying for Russia and hoping the country will overcome the bad politicians and be a wonderful place for the children to grow up. Kind of like...what I hope for this country, but we obviously failed Yana and her kids in the worst ways possible.

13. RiverRat

Update

As expected, the trial did not go as scheduled this month and is now set to begin February 23, 2009.

14. koldkase

Thanks, Rat, for the update. Please tell us while his lawyers are doing their best to put off the inevitable, since that's all they can do for the *** killer, he's the Prom Queen in jail with a full dance card....

15. RiverRat

Same old update.......

Well, it looks like Scott received another Continuence for Christmas.......:steamed:

12/23/08 ORDER FILED CONTINUING JURY TRIAL - 4-13-09 9:00

12/23/08 COURT ORDER/NOTICE/MINUTE JURY TRIAL 4/13/09 @ 9:00

16. ACandyRose

ACandyRose Super Moderator

I'm still waiting for justice for Yana Huss and her children. :)

17. RiverRat

Just a few more months, ACR! 13 Days before the second Anniversary of her Murder, Yana's killer's trial will start....IF there are no more freaking delays!

18. koldkase

Rat, the defence ALWAYS delays the case, unless it's one where the evidence will only get worse and is slim at the beginning, like the murder of Laci Peterson by Scott. Scott's lawyer knew the longer they took to try Scott, the more likely the bodies would be found, other evidence would show up, etc.

In Yana's murder, it's pretty much a done deal. The defense can only improve with time: the longer the delays, the stronger the possibility that something will go missing, memories will fade, etc.

19. RiverRat

Thank You, KK - I am getting a little nervous about the slim to nothing chance that this Monster will get away with murder....so I just focus on the fact that there were not any other people left laying in their blood.....I so love the Family left behind.

20. koldkase

I know you do, Rat, and don't worry. This SOB will go DOWN HARD when the jury gets a load of what he did, and has a small, brave boy telling them about it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice