Autopsy questions

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by rashomon, Jan 23, 2008.

1. rashomon

rashomon Member

I'm not a golfer either, but even if I were, I just can't see Patsy swinging a golf club or a baseball bat at her daughter in such a situation. I can see Burke doing this, but not Patsy. I can visualize her grabbing on impulse a smaller object which happened to be lying nearby, but taking a golf club or a baseball bat, aiming and swinging it at her child - I have immense difficulty imagining such a scenario.

2. sboyd

sboyd Member

Could she not have been pushed with such force that she fell into something (bath or sink) and then lost her footing and fell slamming her head on the floor causing the 8/12" crack to happen. BOESP says that there was no underlying tissue damage and that would only happen if she were PUSHED into something rather than being hit. :video:

3. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Rashomon, I've posted linkds to the autopsy photo of JB's skull for you several times. Do you not want to look at it? I understand if that's the case, but it does clear up the location of the skull fractures and how serious they are.

I agree it seems in the "head blow" theory, Burke is more likely to have done this. At his age, he had no ability to form intent, as he couldn't have known the true meaning of "death". That's a legal distinction already determined in law regarding minors of his age at the time.

But there are other theories about that blow that don't include Burke, as you know.

4. koldkase

I don't think that is possible considering the location of the comminuted fracture. I have mentioned several times it seems such an impact would also show up in her neck bones at autopsy, but no one has addressed this. It seems logical to me. If I'm not making sense on that issue, sorry. Maybe I'm just wrong on that question. Anyway, I guess I've said enough.

5. heymom

heymom Member

No, you're right, KK. And the issue of contrecoup damage from the brain rebounding off one surface of the skull (the one that struck an object) and onto the other side of the skull (from the force of the strike) would be a major feature of the autopsy. There was none, which means she did NOT strike an object while her body was in motion. She was hit with an object. Period. This thread should put to rest all speculation about the head blow being an indirect result of some sort of fight with Patsy.

I tend to think that Burke didn't have the strength to cause that kind of a head blow, but I really don't know for certain. Whoever hit JonBenet, meant to hurt or kill her at that moment.

6. Paradox

Paradox Banned for Stupidity by RiverRat

I think there was no fall or throw, thus no evidence of a fall or throw anywhere on or in the body extra to the skull fracture. I think the body was still when the blow was delivered to the head. Momentum carried the object only so far because the blow was controlled and deliberate, somewhat like one would use when cracking the top of a soft boiled egg. (Which, btw, is sometimes done with a cloth covering the egg.)

I also think that the oddly braided hair was done in preparation for the blow. The hair entwined in the cord/handle may mean she was strung up in preparation for the blow with the arms above and behind the forward leaning head, exposing the skull and saving the face from abrasion.

I think the linear aspect of the fracture shows where the direction of the blow came from; behind to the right of the head and on the same plane as the fracture. The object was an elongated oval in shape that had an "axe splitting" affect on the skull.

That is how I see it.

7. rashomon

rashomon Member

I'm not squeamish about autopsy pictures - I have looked at that photo many times in the past years:

***WARNING - graphic photo!***

http://www.acandyrose.com/jonbenetskull1.jpg

But I was not sure if it showed the front or the back of the skull (biology has never been my forte in school :)).
    But comparing it to the description in the autopsy report, I can see exactly now where the wound was inflicted: on the right side of the head, near the back of the head.
    From the autopsy report:
    'occipital' = relating to the back of the head,
    'posteroparietal' = relating to the bone covering the side of the skull (parietal bone), postero = the back region of this bone near the occipital region.
    [please Texan correct me if I've got things wrong]
    Imo everyone of the three Ramseys could have delivered that blow - for different reasons.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  8. heymom

heymom Member

Are YOU saying that JonBenet was unconscious from strangling before she was hit in the head?

9. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

I haven't saved links, but I am starting to do that, as I have been frustrated at not being able to go back and find things I know I have read. One place I remember seeing it was Ruthie's site, but as she passed away several years ago, some of the links don't work. I went there tonight and the page for the basement photos is gone, as are several other pages. I will continue to look.
    I hadn't read that the log grabber photo was faked. I'll see if I can find a site that has the photo.

10. AMES

AMES Member

No, it doesn't. I posted the link to a site on another board, that said that children that age can crack their skull from falling off a bike. So, if there was some force behind it, like JB being slammed against something...or slung against something, then it stands to reason, that it would bash her skull and displace it.

11. AMES

AMES Member

I see what you are saying about the spinal injuries. But, if the "fall" into the corner of the tub or sink, resulted from Patsy throwing her or slinging her..then it would have been with force. Children that age can crack their skull (not to the extent of JB)...from falling from a bike. If there were force behind it...it would cause some major damage.

12. AMES

AMES Member

I have to agree with you on that! I have always believed that this was unintentional. For it to have been a flashlight, a bat...or even one of the dumb bell weights found in JB's room...it would have had to have been intentional. I just don't see that. I believe that Patsy loved her daughter, and would have never intentionally harmed her.

13. AMES

AMES Member

From looking at the skull, I can't tell what is the top, bottom or side. I have always thought that the damage was on the side, back part of the skull.

14. AMES

AMES Member

First of all...I would like to say that I am glad that he wasn't hurt worse!!! I know that must have scared you to death!!

You said that he was 14, right? How old was he when he fell from his skateboard?? If he was older than 6, then JB's skull would have been thinner...I have researched a ton of different sites on the thickness of the skull at different ages. I have said it before...sorry for repeating myself..but a 6 year old can crack their skull from falling off a bike...so imagine what some force behind that would do.

15. AMES

AMES Member

Thank God that he is okay!!! That truly is a miracle!

16. AMES

AMES Member

So do I!

17. rashomon

rashomon Member

I think you are correct. That's where the punched-out hole in the skull was located.

From the autopsy report:
    'occipital' = relating to the back of the head,
    'posteroparietal' = relating to the bone covering the side of the skull (parietal bone), postero = the back region of this bone near the occipital region.

18. Paradox

Paradox Banned for Stupidity by RiverRat

Yes that is what I am saying.

The first strangulation was functional, it caused unconsciousness. The cord was placed around the neck and lastly the head blow was delivered. The head blow was ceremonial, having something to do with the right hand of God as per The Psalms. imo.

19. koldkase

Well, as we all can see, the theories are no less prolific and no more proven without a trial. Even with 11 years of LE, experts, and all us armchair sleuths giving it our best, there is no conclusive answer.

Now we can add the knowledge that medical examiners are as fallible as the rest of us to the confusion. How many times are bodies exhumed and the MOD changed to "homicide", as the true crime shows and recent cases demonstrate? Not to mention, we now have learned pathologists, medical examiners, and experts are for hire, with "desired" testimony for sale, resulting in the facts being skewed before juries in any case where the defendant has money.

It's very depressing when you think about it.

20. rashomon

rashomon Member

"Saving the face from abrasion"? "You" should rethink your scenario since JonBenet did have abrasions on her face. They are listed in the autosy report. A theory should follow the evidence, and not be constructed ignoring the evidence.
    And how do you think JonBenet was 'strung up'? Please elaborate.

jmo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice