Boulder DA Under Fire ... (from the Boulder Daily Camera)

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Ha! Lacy had no problem breaking the Colorado Rules of Professional Conduct 3.6 and 3.8 to comment, and prematurely crow, about Karr!!! According to Lacy's own mouth, the Ramsey case is STILL under investigation. She even gave Karr's name to Lin Wood so he could reveal it to national media the minute Karr was arrested in Thailand. So Lacy not only commented on a case under investigation, she gave confidential case information to an attorney who represents someone still considered a suspect.

Can't we string her up for THAT?! Seriously! If Lacy has broken those rules, isn't that grounds for her dismissal?

We need Peter Boyles, Caplis & Silverman, Prendergast, Ortega and everyone else who hasn't been blinded by the Ramsey BS machine to get this in the news. It's official. Lacy broke the rules when it suited her. She is not only incompetent and stupid, she's dishonest.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  2. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

So, not only was your e-mail not worth the time to respond to individually, but it was a form letter sent to everyone at the same time exposing all of the e-mail addresses to all involved. That is not only insulting, it's totally unprofessional. SOP for the Boulder DA's office.

Sabrina, I hope you send back a scalding letter about how rude and dangerous it was for Ms. French to copy everyone in the same e-mail. There is no excuse for that kind of careless and arrogant disregard.

3. Sabrina

Sabrina Member

I did, I can only hope the 9 other people did the same. (I did not repeat her rudeness and send copies to all)

4. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

surely

all kinds of rules must have been broken when Lacey agreed with Carnes!

5. starfishing

starfishing Member

Hey Sabrina

You should email Peter Boyles and Caplis and Silverman at www.khow.com and let them know about this. Dan Caplis, especially. He wants Mary Lacey's blood.

6. BluesStrat

BluesStrat BANNED !!!!!

The Denver Post is reporting on Mary Lacy's latest disaster:

DA criticized in child death
    No arrests, charges in suspected abuse of Boulder 11-week-old, who died in March

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_4726616

7. Thor

Thor Active Member

Oh my Gawd, you should have warned me that I'd be seeing the fugly face behind the hair curtains jumping out at me first thing. Seriously, this woman needs to go.

8. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

DA criticized in child death
    No arrests, charges in suspected abuse of Boulder 11-week-old, who died in March
    By John Ingold
    Denver Post Staff Writer
    DenverPost.com
    Article Last Updated:11/26/2006 10:33:22 PM MST

Boulder District Attorney Mary Lacy, castigated over the John Mark Karr affair, is again facing criticism for her handling of a child's death.

Jason Midyette died nearly nine months ago from what the coroner concluded were abuse-related injuries. According to the search warrant, doctors found 20 bone fractures in his 11-week-old body, leading them to believe that Jason had seen significant abuse in his short life.

No arrests have been made in the case, nor have any charges been filed.

In recent weeks, the lack of evident progress has drawn the ire of several commentators. Others question whether the Midyette case is really that simple to prosecute.

Bill O'Reilly and Greta Van Susteren, both with Fox News, have taken up the issue on their shows. Local attorneys Craig Silverman and Dan Caplis have discussed the case numerous times on their radio program. And reporters for Court TV have also pursued the case.

O'Reilly opened the "unresolved problem" segment of his Nov. 15 broadcast by saying, "As you may have figured out, there is something very wrong in Boulder, Colorado," according to a transcript of the show.

"Here's what it's saying," O'Reilly said of the Midyette case. " ... Come here, kill the kids, and you can walk. That's the message coming out of Boulder."

Lacy, through a spokeswoman, declined to comment.

"Everybody is talking about a case that is under investigation," said Carolyn French, the district attorney's spokeswoman. "The code for professional responsibility for prosecutors is clear that we cannot comment on a case that's under investigation."

A commander with the Louisville Police Department, which is also investigating the death, said the case is "open and active."

The unsolved death has amplified the criticisms of Lacy that came after her case against Karr fell apart. Lacy's office once considered Karr a prime suspect in the unsolved murder of JonBenét Ramsey and brought him from Thailand to Colorado in a highly publicized spectacle after Karr professed involvement in the decade-old killing. Critics questioned Lacy's decisions after DNA tests showed Karr was not the killer.

On Feb. 24, Molly and Alex Midyette, Jason's parents, took Jason to a family doctor, saying that Jason was "not himself," according to the search warrant. The doctor noticed Jason had a bulging head and was grunting. She told the Midyettes to take Jason to the emergency room.

When a police officer tried to talk with the Midyettes at the hospital, a family member intervened and said the family had retained a lawyer, records show.

Jason's paternal grandfather is J. Nold Midyette, a prominent Boulder architect and property manager.

A doctor told police the couple told him they didn't know what happened to Jason and then made no other statements.

Jason died March 3 at The Children's Hospital in Denver, officially from head injuries.

An attorney for Molly Midyette declined to comment for this story. An attorney for Alex Midyette did not return calls.

Jason's parents have not spoken with police.

Former Adams County District Attorney Bob Grant said apparent child-abuse deaths of infants are difficult cases to investigate or prosecute.

"They are among the most complex cases that prosecutors face," he said. "People have a gut feeling when someone refuses to talk to the police that they must be guilty. But that has absolutely nothing to do with whether someone can be charged legally."

But Silverman, a former Denver chief deputy district attorney who prosecuted child death cases, said he believes Lacy's office has enough information to charge Jason's parents. Because doctors believe Jason was abused over a period of time, Silverman said, then Jason's parents must have at least known Jason was being harmed.

Under state law, if parents allow their child to be placed in a dangerous situation, they can be charged with child abuse.

"Unlike a single incidence where you can wonder whether one parent is innocent ... this baby was suffering for a month," Silverman said. "Any parent should have noticed that suffering and obtained medical attention for the baby."

Steve Louth, a Boulder lawyer who used to work with Lacy in the district attorney's office, said it wouldn't make sense for Lacy to charge someone with a lesser crime if she was still hoping to file more serious charges. "I don't know how you can fault Mary Lacy for that situation," Louth said. "What are these people implying? That she doesn't care? That would be an outrageous assertion."

Louth said the family's silence makes the case more difficult to prosecute.

Silverman said it is understandable that Lacy would be careful in putting her case together.

But, he said, nine months is too long because it gives the perpetrator time to get away.

"We're at the end of November now," Silverman said. "This baby was taken to the family physician in February. Whoever committed this atrocity shouldn't be out there roaming amongst us."

:dammit:

9. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Former Adams County District Attorney Bob Grant said apparent child-abuse deaths of infants are difficult cases to investigate or prosecute.

"They are among the most complex cases that prosecutors face," he said.

I wonder why that is.

10. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

11. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

So...kill your child, and all you have to do is lawyer up and refuse to talk to LE. Then you're home free?

Ok, then!

God help children born in Boulder County.

12. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

I'll settle for Bill Ritter.

13. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

"Here's what it's saying," O'Reilly said of the Midyette case. " ... Come here, kill the kids, and you can walk. That's the message coming out of Boulder."

Yeah....all it takes is a confession to get Lacy's attention....AND the confession doesn't even have to be correct!!!!

TA-DAH.... the-can't-get-the-details-of-the-murder-right-Confessor is flown first class too! Forgettabout evidence!

I suppose Lacy is waiting for one of the parents to confess...otherwise she'd have to do her damn job...and work to put child killers behind bars.

Or maybe Lacy figures since the Midyettes are rich a first class flight won't motivate the parents.

14. koldkase

Noooo...I think Lacy is waiting for the parents to NOT confess. That's the Boulder LE plan. Don't talk to them, they won't confess! Yeah, works for the DA! :martini:

15. Tez

Tez Member

I lived in Boulder County for over 20 years and I can tell you the city I lived in was tough on crime. Of course, you'd get arrested, but old Alex and his minions would have a plea deal all worked out for you when you went to court.

The only crime the people in Boulder get upset about is someone stealing their bicycles. That can get you some serious time....

If the parents were the only caregivers of this child, arrest them both and charge them both with murder and be done with it. One will turn on the other. Mary Lacy needs her law license revoked.

16. Show Me

Quick tell Lacy a stolen bicycle is involved.......

17. Show Me

Rich parents KK!

How many times do I have to tell you Lacy caters to the rich....sheesh Lacy hasn't a problem going after poor criminals! The poor get court appointed lawyers not high power lawyers....the kind Lacy trembles in fear and bows before.

18. Tez

Tez Member

Yeah, she might do something then.

WTF is wrong with that woman? File the dang charges, one will roll over on the other one and that poor baby will get some justice. I can't believe it's been over nine months and she's done nothing. But of course, nothing she does should surprise me.

19. koldkase

Oh, yeah, how COULD I forget only RICH parents get to NOT confess in their NON-EXISTENT interrogations! Silly me. La di da...as one rich parent of a dead child once said....

20. Show Me

It's the DA's theme in Boulder, KK.

Rich people....good people, don't commit crimes.

Poor people....bad people, commit all the crimes.

Lacy caters to the rich....and bends wayyyyy over for their attorneys.

Heck if the Midyettes are nice enough to her, they'll invite Lacy to fly out to one of their functions!

Lacy loves to hang out with the rich.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice