Check in thread for posters in hurricane's path

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Sep 3, 2004.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Still here!

How nerve-wracking is this?! The winds here have picked up to 44 MPH and that's enough to flash me back to the last scariest moment of my life. The rain comes and goes but the wind has stayed constant for hours now. I can't be any more prepared so what will be, will be.

Love-
    RR

2. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Thinkin of you :mears:

Stay strong and well protected!

3. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

We are pulling for you RR as well as the other posters. Keep safe!

Looks like you will miss the brunt of the storm.

4. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

It's about 8 pm here, and I have been watching Frances most of the day. She seems to be fighting to put that eye back together out there on the warm waters, but it remains unstable. The bad news is the system keeps stalling just on the outskirts of the east coast, which means those strong and rain-laden inner bands are pummeling the coast line, because they are just sitting there dumping water on the land. I thought at first this might hit RR on its way out, and the inner bands are going to, I think, but the eye wall itself it seems will miss her if all goes as projected.

I said before I was concerned about the flooding potential, and I'm more concerned now than ever.

RR, I love you, sweetheart. Easywriter, hang in there for the long haul, because it's going to be a long haul by the looks of it. Voyager, if you do speak with Szundi again soon, also give her my best wishes and tell her I've also been praying for all of our Floridian friends in the path of Frances. I hope she doesn't have to go through what RR's been through.

There is another hurricane brewing and headed toward Puerto Rico. I think I heard "Ivan," but I'm not sure that's the name. This is not good, the atmosphere seems to be spitting these things out one after the other.

Batten down the hatches, Florida. It's going to be a long night - for all of us.

RR, I'm not worried. Much.

5. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

:eye: :eye: you are telling a fib...you are just as worried as the rest of us are, you just can't stop eating this time, ok? !

6. Watching You

RR gets upset when I worry, which is my normal thing to do when people I care about are in harm's way. So, I'm not worried. :lier: :nervous:

I got to thinking after I posted about Hurricane Ivan (maybe) bringing up Frances's rear that I probably meant Imon - not Ivan. :fishslap:

7. RiverRat

So far so good

WY - I'm fine - just got off the phone with Zoomama and hope that she gets a chance to fill you guys in. Power has clicked off a couple of times so I just hate thinking that everytime I post - it may be the last for a while.

I am not dealing with arm-chair sleuths here, if a Rat needs to be tracked down in case of emergency, I have complete faith that this crew will not fail, so don't worry. Worst Case Scenerio........it's been one helluva awesome ride.

Love-
    RR

8. Elle

Elle Member

Delmar.

Hope you don't see your new shed flying past your window again. Enough is Enough. That was a good idea freezing the jugs of water. :) It's time you emigrated up here to Canada. :) You might end up liking the snow. instead of all that sand you have down there. :)

Take care!

9. Watching You

Okay, RR, it's Sunday morning. Time for you to check in again. I see the storm is getting ready to hit your side of the state, so maybe your power is out.

What a storm this has been. That fat-as$ed Frances just blasted into Florida and parked herself there for hours and hours. They showed the worst bands going through Charlotte County, among many others. How much rain can these places take? Orlando is going to be badly flooded as are other parts or Florida because of the abundant rainfall they've had over the summer coupled with Charlie.

Melbourne, where Szundi lives, is getting pounded with winds and rain. I hope she has a dry home to go home to, but that rain is just torrential.

EasyWriter, you need to check in, too, please. I like all my ducks in a row, and if they're not, I get spastic.

10. RiverRat

I'm still okay.

Tying to wake up and see if this Storm has decided what it's going to do. Delmar is closer inland than I am, so I'm afraid he may be feeling some rough effects right now.

I am such a flipping Gemini........this wind........scares the chit out of me but what an awesome experience to go stand in it. The sound of it though is another matter - nothing I enjoy there other than a little PTSD.

As I can-
    RR

11. 1000 Sparks

1000 Sparks Active Member

oh my

RiverMouse, was watching the weather all night.

Hope you are hanging in there ok..thinking about you a lot.

12. Twitch

Twitch Active Member

Me too,

RiverRat. I hope you are all ok. :glug:

13. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

Storm's Intensity....

From what we are reading in the news and seeing on TV, the storm's intensity is weakening....The explanations for this occurance vary but seem to involve upper atmospher wind shears, along with "southwesterlies, a patch of dry air which collided with the storm." "Without the moisture needed as fuel, that dry air also caused the system to start falling apart, clogging it's fuel line as it were."

This along with the fact that it was overland in the western Bahamas for so long that it weakened....."Southwesterly winds from the Carribbean swept into its left side, effectively choking of the hurricane and causing it's left half to diminish and it's eye to disintergrate, said meteoroligist Jim Lushine."

"He compared the hurricane to an engine that needs both fuel and exhaust." "Big storms feed on water and blow their expended energy out the top of the system." "When those upper level southwesterly winds rolled in, they formed a wind shear that cut off the system's exhaust system and caused the engine to sputter, like a potato plugged in the car's tailpipe." "In this case, the exhaust actually got blocked off." Lushine said. "There wasn't enough air circulating from the top."

This is one of the scenarios as :reporter: reported by the South Florida Sun Sentinel (same news organization I believe as the one where WY sent us to view the video site on line)....

This is a more technical version of what has happen with this storm.....I prefer to believe the simpler version of what is happening here.....As Greenie has so appropriately put it....."We should storm heaven with our prayers" for relief from this storm.....I think that God is listening and that he is a merciful God.....

As bad as this storm is, I think that even the metorologists find it amazing that it is unpredictably "falling apart" at it's center and weakening beyond all previous hopes....Let's keep up our faith you guys....

We have seen so many miracles given while watching and waiting together on these forums these past 7 plus years,
    Voyager

PS Forgot to say RR, so glad that you have checked in and that you are still OK....So sorry for the terror you are currently feeling from this storm's wind threat....I am betting that Delmar's electricity is out currently, or he would have checked in as well....Special prayers going out for him that the flooding is not severe....

14. zoomama

zoomama Active Member

Yes, I did call RR last evening,

and she was watching just as the rest of the world was watching the unpredictable storm as it didn't move anywhere. She said she was fine at that time and hated the fact that she was facing nighttime. She would rather face the storm in daylight than the dark. I don't blame her one bit.

Mouse, we are still send prayers and good thoughts your way. Maybe our collected union of prayer is working after all. I have no doubt of it. So let's keep it up.

15. RiverRat

Phone and power starting to flicker off and on now as it gets closer to this side of the state..........but I need to clean up from Charley and prepare for Ivan at the same time so I'm probably outta here for a while. Thank you all for the support and encouragement - I wouldn't have made it this far without you.

:duped:
    RR

16. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

RR and family....

I know you are busy making preparations, but thanks so much for checking in....I have a candle lit for you guys....will keep a light on in the window so that you know where home is....

Hang tight, our hearts are with you Babe, :fingers:
    Voyager

17. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

The only good thing I've heard is Gov. Bush speaking fluent Spanish - the only good thing.

"There is another hurricane brewing and headed toward Puerto Rico. I think I heard "Ivan," but I'm not sure that's the name. This is not good, the atmosphere seems to be spitting these things out one after the other."

From my understanding they can change at any time. The enitre state of Florida is declared a disaster area is what I heard. The entire state. I attended church today; I did not hear a word about the wrath of God, nor the people in the state of Florida. :wtf:

18. Watching You

Do you think these hurricanes are "the wrath of God," JC?

19. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Hope Our Floridians Are Well.

TG Frances kinda fizzled out windwise, but the rain is something else.

Did anyone else wish Geraldo would blow away last night while doing hurricane coverage? I guess with the Kobe case deadended and the Jackson case not yet started, Jerry Rivers has nothing else to do.

Geraldo, leave the weather coverage up to Jim Cantore, and other experts who know what they're talking about.

20. Bunny2004ME

Bunny2004ME Member

Has anyone heard from ....

Has anyone heard from Port St Lucie and Jensen Beach - these are Ohio snow-birds who did not want to come north. I have been trying to call Port St Lucie all day today but I could not a connection from Lake Erie anywany, the streets that I am asking about in Port St Lucie are North Zenith, Congo and Del Rae - please reply if have any info.
    Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice