Check in thread for posters in hurricane's path

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

Yeah RR!

We were posting at the same time....so glad to hear that you are OK, and to see that your service is up too! Is your home alright? How are your daughters doing during this whole episode?

RR, I think you have proven that you can face down your fears....I think you are a pretty brave girl myself :yes: .....Keep on keeping on kiddo, this will only be a bad memory soon....Lots of love being sent your way!

Voyager

2. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

What Voyager said - Lots of love being sent your way!

It helps to know you have power/service.

3. 1000 Sparks

1000 Sparks Active Member

Here too

Thinking of all of you and the turmoil you are in...

also, where is TWITCH?????????????????????????

4. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

RiverRat, we're going to have to start calling you HurricaneRat if this keeps up. I heard on TV last night that it's our fault. That is, we in the north have been enjoying some of the most gorgeous weather all year, and it's all because of a high pressure that is pushing these hurricanes into Florida. Lawd, I feel so guilty...

But, look, I have this heavy suspicion that this is going to be one of the worst winters yet in WNY, so when we are getting slammed with blizzards, Florida will at least be warm and balmy, if there's anything left of her after this hurricane season. Lawdy, I've never seen anything like it. I hope the worst of it's over, even though there are still two months to go...

5. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Thank You All!

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it........

As Usual, I was busting my :booty: trying to attain normal instead of parking myself in front of the TV and was caught off guard again - last I had heard was the Jeanne was NO threat to Florida........now where did I hear that one before???

Then I had to spend 24 hours in a meltdown mode before I finally accepted that It was coming. After having to hear from concerned folks how unsafe my apartment is, I took the kids and headed for higher ground. It's bad enough to go through but when the storms come at night, the stress level rises. Somehow, I've turned into this little wuss that jumps out of her skin and cries when the winds howl.......this is what death sounds like to me - the simple wind.

Sooooooo, five adults and seven kids holed up for almost 20 hours later..........it's time to ignore the TV and keep clearing a path to the light at the end of this tunnel.

Love,
    RR!
    :freecs:

6. Watching You

You're a survivor, RR. You will make it where others may not. That's because you never quit, and you're made of strong stuff. It will end, eventually, and you'll still be standing - a little shell-shocked, but standing just the same.

Don't make me come down there, RR. When the going gets tough, the tough get going - don't you ever forget that. You're going to make it.

7. RiverRat

Wy

I highly expect to see it snow in Florida this winter...........nothing would surprise me at this point. So, you just continue to enjoy your weather - even though it's killing me - but will you let me borrow your parka this year?

Sparky - e-mail Twitch right now. Don't pretend to like you normally do.....find her now. Pretty Please.

Voyager - there are some posts at Purgatory from Zoom but I think that she was in an area on this side of the State that had it rough - not sure if she has heard about her home yet. I was thinking that if you and the Mister would just let me borrow your hot-air balloon, it would really help out with the next evacuation. Think about it.

JC - how's things in Texas?! I hate hogging the airtime here.......who else is miserable?

RR

8. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

The sun is shining in this part of Texas this morning, too, RR.

9. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

D'ems fighting words RR.... we may have been the last to join the confederate army but we made up for it in sending the most and losing the most troops. Yankee we ain't! :p

10. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Shhhhh...we let Free think she's a Confederate (mainly 'cause she's passionate enough to be one.)

Glad to hear you gave Jeanne the old :flipper: Darlin' :hug: Give the girls my love and a :hug: for me please.

11. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

Ahem.................

"The State of North Carolina was not as quick or eager to secede from the Union as her southern neighbors.
    However, after the firing on Fort Sumter, South Carolina, and President Lincoln’s call for 75,000 troops, the Old North State joined those already fighting for independence.

North Carolina contributed and sacrificed more men for the Confederate cause than any other state. The first Confederate soldier killed in the war was a North Carolinian; North Carolina regiments made it farther into Union lines at Gettysburg and Chickamauga; and North Carolinians captured the last Union artillery battery, made the last charge, fired the last volley, and surrendered the last man at Appomattox Court House.

North Carolina proudly earned the label: First at Bethel, Farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, Last at Appomattox.

Confederate Military History of North Carolina recounts the contribution and sacrifice of North Carolinians made while serving in the Army of North Virginia and the great battles in which it participated—Big Bethel, 1st and 2nd Manassas, The Peninsula Campaign, Seven Days battles, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Bristoe Station, Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Early’s Valley Campaign, Petersburg, Appomattox, and many more.

North Carolinians gallantly protected their state throughout the war, from Burnside’s Expedition, to the battles of Fort Fisher and Kinston, and Sherman’s Carolinas Campaign, ending with the battles of Averasboro and Bentonville.

A few Tar Heel regiments fought in the West, seeing action at Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, and the Atlanta Campaign."

OOOOOOOOOOOoooooooh what now!

12. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Freebird,

I reckon we know where you get your fighting spirit from!

13. RiverRat

Ha!

Free's a Northerner to me! And she knows that I'm just teasing her. Sparky - did you find Twitchy? I did read that Szundi and her home are good to go - and probably will if the weather doesn't drastically improve around these parts.

Here's a link to a little video clip of downtown PG during Charley for those curious about roofs and their ability to fly.

http://www.extremestorms.com/Charlie Core- Punta Gorda.wmv

14. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

Foreign film...?

15. 1000 Sparks

1000 Sparks Active Member

Oh My Goodness

A New Hurricane:

The National Weather Service has issued a warning for yet another catastrophic
    hurricane following on the heels of Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne. The path
    of this hurricane zigs and zags, and is therefore highly unpredictable. Experts
    predict that this one will cause the most damage to the United States that we have
    experienced in four years.

They are naming this one Hurricane Kerry.

Be advised, the only way for citizens to protect themselves is being behind a Bush.

16. Watching You

LOL, Sparky.

17. EasyWriter

EasyWriter FFJ Senior Member

Hi, All,

Well, I didn’t blow away. However, in the dark hours of Sunday
    morning, that issue was still up in the air. (Pun intended).

I had some property damage, but nothing too serious. No roof
    damage, but one small freak leak. I lost several aluminum soffit
    panels. I’ll pick them up and put them back in as soon as I
    figure out what counties they are in. I found some north, some
    east and some south. I found maybe 10%. One was found about 300
    yards north after traveling through or above a line of trees
    without touching anything. It wasn’t damaged at all.

At least five houses within a hundred yards of where I live had
    roof severe damage with water coming in ruining the ceilings,
    some on the verge of collapse. One neighbor suffered a tool
    shed disaster nearly identical to the one I had with Charley.
    I haven’t been out of the neighborhood, so don’t know about the
    rest of the area, but it’s lots of destruction for sure.

Officially, the wind speed was 110 mph. It was at least that, but
    that doesn’t tell the whole story. There are storms within storms
    with wind currents and speeds not necessarily recorded. I saw
    some effects that can be explained only by an internal “mini
    tornado†lifting, carrying and dropping large tree limbs in the
    top of tall sapling growth.

I been out this morning doing tree clean up work as many are. I
    have a lot of it to do, so it will be several days before things
    will be back to normal. Anyway, three hurricanes within 42 days
    is not something I want to experience again.

18. Twitch

Twitch Active Member

Well my goodness...

I didn't know ya'll cared. Hey RR. Sparky didn't email me. She doesn't love me.

I hope you and everyone are ok.

Jeanne petered out pretty much by the time she got here. Lots and lots of rain but nothing hazardous. There was a tornado right across the river but no deaths.

19. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Thanks for checking in EW and Twitcheroo!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice