Darnay Hoffman has been found

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Jan 29, 2003.

1. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Shyshi

Thanks for that link. It makes me sick to my stomach to think that this brute, Joel Steinberg, will be out on parole soon. He'll go back to the cocaine like a dog goes back to its vomit. His violent temper and borderline personality will be factors in future crimes against women and children.

We at FFJ are supposed to be against the abuse of children, and for full prosecution and punishment of those who would raise a hand against innocent little ones. We are to be watchdogs, seeing that these animals who harm children do not come back into our neighborhoods to reoffend.

I see a double standard emerging here, and I don't like it. Patsy Ramsey is to be castigated and shunned because she allegedly bashed in her child's head. Joel Steinberg is to be given compassion, although he committed the exact same act, because he is a cokehead?

Are we to believe that Joel Steinberg deserves a break because he is a friend of Darnay Hoffman, and Darnay Hoffman is a friend of ????who????

Bull$hit!

2. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

3. Shyshi5

Shyshi5 Member

Darnay et al Steinberg

Lurker I'm glad to have given assistance to your reading material.
    I agree that this or any animal like this doesn't belong to be in our midst. It does make me sick to read such goings on with people who want to represent them, but the CONSTITUTION gives them the right to representation. I'm sure once RAM"S are found to be the one(s) responcible for JBR death their attorney will do nothing more than to spare them the DEATH sentence. Any good attorney would only plea for their life in prison....to me that is the best punishment one could get for the brutal slaying of anyone.

If you need more info on legal court cases... let me know... I'm great at researching in my field.

4. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Wow LurkerXIV slow down. I don't see anywhere here where it says Steinberg should be given compassion. I believe Fed Ex expressed the fact that since he will be out on Parole that maybe he might make something of himself. That's all.

This is a discussion of Darnay and what he has been up to. If you look at my earlier postings I said I will not gag anyone who disagrees with what Darnay is doing. Including everything you are saying. Darnay Hoffman is a big boy. If he is going to defend someone like Steinberg then he has to take the heat.

I have no problem if we could make Steinberg suffer like Lisa did but we can't.

I have no problem if anyone wants to rail on Darnay for his choice of clients. That's your decision.

I am not the least bit thrilled he chose this dirtbag for a client. Pro Bono no less.

That does not change the fact that he took up a cause, pro bono. for Linda Hoffman and Chris Wolfe.

No double standard here LurkerXIV. It's a discussion on two different issues concerning Darnay Hoffman that's all.

5. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Joel Steinburg

should have been given a lethal injection for killing defenseless little Lisa. He is a ruthless, brutal killer, and it is a travesty that he is even being released from prison.

As far as Darney Hoffman representing that perversion of humanity, I have no respect for Hoffman for doing it, no more than I can have respect for Johnny Cochran for the way he convoluted justice in the Simpson trial or the way Lin Wood lusts after money made from lawsuits filed by liars and killers.

In our legal system, everyone is entitled to legal representation. In the circumstances where this scum had already been convicted of killing a child, the state should have taken all his assets and given them to the people he has harmed.

Maybe we should be asking ourselves why Hoffman takes on these cases, which are so much in opposition to each other. The Ramsey-related cases - what does he hope to gain? Justice? Honor? Fame? One has to ask that question now that he has agreed to defend a convicted child killer. Where is the honor in that?

Candy is inconsequential. She has alienated just about everyone on the forums with her psycho attacks. None of us would associate with her in RL. No one really cares what she thinks or says. She's a nobody, and she hates us all because of it. Who cares?

6. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Darnay is a liar.

"There was no pain or suffering," he said afterward. "She was out like a light, and that was the end of it."

This is a statement from Darnay Hoffman.

Here is the truth:

Doctors and nurses at St. Vincent’s were appalled when they examined Lisa on the morning of November 2, 1987. She had cuts on both of her arms, legs, abdomen, stomach and head. Her feet and ankles were covered with a crust of black dirt and grime. Lisa’s long, once-beautiful hair was a twisted, matted mess and had not been washed for quite some time. Under her tangled mane, doctors discovered a severe, fresh bruise on her forehead. When they turned Lisa over on her belly, they found one large, unusual bruise near the center of her lower back. Her upper back was covered with both old and new bruises, red, black, and blue in color. Both calves had yellowish-brown marks, apparently from old injuries. She had bruising and trauma marks on her buttocks. How precisely she obtained these injuries remained unclear since Lisa never regained consciousness. Her brain was hemorrhaging and she was already near death.

7. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Another Lie

Steinberg's lawyer, Darnay Hoffman, said his client takes responsibility for Lisa's death but denies repeated abuse.

The truth: There was ongoing abuse of Lisa, almost from the first day Steinberg brought her home to reside in that House of Horrors.

Tenants at 14 W. 10th Street and neighbors were particularly vociferous. “Who protected this child?†one said. The New York Times interviewed a producer for the television show “20/20†who lived on the first floor of the Steinberg’s building. “We reported it to all the proper agencies,†she said. A neighbor who said she called a child-abuse hot line said responding investigators were unable to verify the charges. “They came and did an investigation and said there was no evidence of child abuse,†she said, “You can imagine how we felt later when this woman walked in with another baby!†She was referring to Mitchell; the 16-month-old baby who cops found tied to a playpen.

8. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Lisa's Last Night

Lisa went into the bedroom where Steinberg was getting dressed while Hedda went to the bathroom. According to Hedda’s testimony, Steinberg then walked into the bathroom holding Lisa, who was unconscious. Hedda said this occurred about 6:00 p.m. “She was lying in his arms limp,†she said, “And I said ‘What happened?’ He said, ‘What’s the difference what happened? This is your child. Hasn’t this gone far enough?’†They laid the unconscious girl on the bathroom floor while Hedda attempted to revive her. But Lisa was not responding. While she continued her efforts at first aid, Hedda said, Steinberg went to the bedroom and finished dressing for dinner with his friend.

At about 7:00 p.m., Steinberg was ready to leave. Hedda testified that he told her “Relax. Go with her. Stay in harmony with her.†Nussbaum stated that she was worried about Lisa but listened to Steinberg when he “promised he would get her up when he got back.†She told the court that Steinberg called the apartment while he was out and asked how Lisa was. While he was on the phone, Steinberg gave Hedda permission to eat. She said she told him that Lisa was still lying on the bathroom floor unconscious. Hedda said that she still tried to revive her but nothing worked. “I realized no matter what I did, it didn’t seem to make much difference,†she told the court, “so I didn’t need to work with her every minute. And I wanted to keep busy. So I rearranged Joel’s files.â€

When Steinberg returned later that evening, Hedda said, they freebased cocaine. Freebasing cocaine was the predecessor of crack and required special paraphernalia to burn the drug properly. “You put the crystallized cocaine, the free base, in the top part of the pipe,†Hedda testified, “put water in the pipe and then you draw through a tube. Mr. Steinberg smoked for a couple of hours until the cocaine was, that we had, was gone and I smoked a small amount.†Hedda testified that while they freebased Steinberg mentioned Lisa. “One thing he said was about Lisa, ‘I knocked her down and she didn’t want to get up again. The staring business had gotten to be too much for her,†she said. “Joel had been saying that I was staring at him and that both of the children had been staring at him.†Hedda said that they continued to smoke cocaine until about 4:00 a.m. When they checked on Lisa again, she was still unconscious. They picked her up and placed her on the bed while Hedda looked through a medical dictionary for advice.

Hedda said that Steinberg remained awake and read books to see if he could find out what was wrong with Lisa. At about 6:30 a.m., Hedda said, Steinberg called out for her and yelled, “She stopped breathing!†Hedda said she wanted to call 911 but Steinberg told her to wait a few minutes while he tried to give her CPR. When that failed, Steinberg finally told Hedda to call for help. By that time, Lisa had been on the cold, bathroom floor for nearly 12 hours.

9. Shyshi5

Shyshi5 Member

Darnay

Lurker
    I understand your frustration, along with many others on this forum too, Usually , from my experience with attorney's in the past, they usually take onhigh profiles cases because
    1. they want the fame and notariity;
    2. they are soon looking at the Prosecutors Title;
    3. they are going to run for Attorney General. So you can drwa you r own conclusions as to his reasons "WHY"

10. Tricia

Let's go back to the beginning and someone correct me if I am wrong.

Wasn't Steinberg convicted of First Degree Manslaughter? My question is WHY?

I believe in NY the only people who are charged with first degree murder ( and can be put to death) are those who kill Police on duty. It may be a bit broader to include Fire Departments and other government workers.

But why in the hell wasn't Steinberg convicted of 2nd degree murder? He was charged but the jury found him guilty of the lesser charge. Read the definitions below and see if it makes sense.

First degree Manslaughter: ( which is what Steinberg was convicted of)

In order for you to find the defendant guilty of this crime, the People are required to prove, from all the evidence in the case, beyond a reasonable doubt, both of the following two elements.

This charge should be used in those relatively rare cases where, having heard evidence of "extreme emotional disturbance," the Grand Jury finds legally sufficient evidence of an intentional killing, but votes to indict the defendant only for Manslaughter in the First Degree, rather than for Murder. In such cases, the affirmative defense of "extreme emotional disturbance," having been accepted by the Grand Jury, is no longer relevant at trial and need not be established by the defendant nor proven as an element of the crime by the People.

See,Penal Law § 125.20(2). Accordingly, this charge is See, Penal Law § 125.20(2). Accordingly, this charge is essentially identical to that for Murder in the Second Degree under Penal Law § 125.25(1).

2-If causation, "death," or "person" is in issue, see Additional Charges at the end of this article.

3- See Penal Law § 15.05(1).

That the defendant did so with the intent to cause the death of (specify). Therefore, if you find that the People have proven beyond a reasonable doubt both of those elements, you must find the defendant guilty of the crime of Manslaughter in the First Degree as charged in the count.On the other hand, if you find that the People have not proven beyond areasonable doubt either one or both of those elements, you must find thedefendant not guilty of the crime of Manslaughter in the First Degree as charged in the count. See, Penal Law § 15.05(1).-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1-(this is the place on the instructions that lists the name of the defendant, city, county, state, name of victim and date of crime)
    2- That the defendant did so with the intent to cause the death of (specify)
    Therefore, if you find that the People have proven beyond a reasonabledoubt both of those elements, you must find the defendant guilty of the crimeTherefore, if you find that the People have proven beyond a reasonable doubt both of those elements, you must find the defendant guilty of the crime of Manslaughter in the First Degree as charged in the count.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The way I read the NY definition of First degree Manslaughter is:

: it's rare
    : some element of "emotional disturbance" must be present.

Don't you think any crime of murder could be deemed "emotional disturbance"? It seems to me that since this is so rare it is only used in cases where the "emotional disturbance" is very apparent. Such as abuse from a husband, killing someone who molested your child. I read it to mean the "emotional disturbance" is what helped provoke the choosing of the victim. I would assume this even includes the "heat of passion" argument. Even if I am wrong I know drug abuse in the case of murder is not considered "emotional disturbance". So that throws Joel's coke habit out the window.

Now read the definition of 2nd degree murder:

MURDER, SECOND DEGREE - In order for someone to be found guilty of second degree murder the government must prove that the person killed another person; the person killed the other person with malice aforethought; and the killing was premeditated. Note that the elements are identical with those for 1st degree murder. The practical difference is the sentences are different. Which crime to charge is usually entirely up to the prosecutor’s discretion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steinberg I am sure argued to the jury that he did not know, because he had no medical training that the beatings would lead to her death.

That's like saying you didn't know a bullet would kill someone because you were really aiming for the person's foot.

The jury was given a choice. 2nd degree murder ( which is the same as 1st without the death penalty) or First Degree Manslaughter which has the "emotional disturbance" clause.

The only thing I see is Steinberg's murder of little Lisa was a long, torturous route. He KNEW his behavior, his violence would lead to her death.

What was the jury thinking? There was no chance of life in prison for this monster. He was going to be let out if they found him guilty of Manslaughter.

This is unbelievable.

He is getting out no matter what apparently at some point. Even if Hoffman loses the case for his client (which I am sure he will) all that will do is take away his money. Which is better than nothing I guess. I would love to see him dead *** broke.

II would rather see him in prison.

What was the jury thinking?

Shyshi5 I think it's safe to say that anyone who wants a high profile case is doing it for some personal benifit. It may lead to a good ending ( hopefully in the Wofe case) or it may make us angry because the person the attorney chose to represent is a ******* (Steinberg) but there is no doubt when lawyers take on high profile cases, pro-bono or not, it's for some sort of gain.

11. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

Well after reading DH statement regurgitated thru candy on another forum...... I now retract any credit I gave him for the JB case.... He's as condensending as the Ramseys and as full of excuses as the swamp mouth. all IMHO but I'm just another
    " ignern't"

12. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Another Let Down

Without a doubt, The Dirtbag is definitely in need of an attorney.

But, out of a trillion lawyers floating around Planet Earth, WHY, Darnay, did you think that it had to be you?

All I can imagine is two little girls in Heaven trying to figure out why one man is helping pinpoint her murderer at the same time he helps the murderer of the other.

RiverRat

13. AK

AK Member

What a good thread this is!

Yesterday I got annoyed at an expert witness pal of mine who works both prosecution and defense. He just finished a case where a person killed a toddler with conditions as depraved as the Steinberg case. His skills could have been put to use by the prosecution but they had their own expert, so his talent went to the defense. He didn't like the defendant, was in agony for the victim, but reported the truth as he knew it. He did his job and left it to the jury to make the right decision, which it did. The killer is locked up for life, which my friend is pleased about.

So when I come here it's to try to understand the law and science of an issue, without taking an emotional stand. That was my intent in bringing up DH's handling of this case, when I initially thought he repped Nussbaum. Now that I see it's Steinberg and have read the articles posted here, it's harder to keep out the emotion, though I'm still endeavoring to see the legal reasonings.

I see a murder via long-term freebase habit as a MUCH diff scenario than the Ramseys'. JS+HN didn't have the wherewithall to plan their crime. The indications that the abuse was prolonged don't mean the murder was premeditated -- it was proof their highly disorganized lives were that messed up. They couldn't even clean their children or home and I'm guessing JS's law practice was in equal disarray. Otoh, the Ramseys had plenty of time to cover their tracks, immediately after the murder, and in the subsequent six years. They're not coked out so they can think clearly to try to nail others who had nothing to do with it, and deflect attention from themselves. So while there are kids killed out of neglect and abuse every day, the sophistication of what the Ram did AND CONTINUE TO DO, puts them in a unique spot. And hence, I stay on their arses.

You people's passion is contagious and this thread brings up the beauty of what FFJ is about. We should all share the moral outrage of crimes against innocents like Lisa. I think of the video of her in her pink tutu, or the photos of her smiling, and I mourn for that trusting little child. So I wouldn't expect anything LESS than for you guys to argue the prosecution proxy side. And when we go out and discuss the case with others, that will be the fire to motivate us. Swaying public opinion is a serious task we FFJers have, and an effective tool for equalizing the constitutional provisions that seem to give criminals an edge.

Ultimately we have to work with the current legal system and find ways to expand it when necessary. Which is why the intellectual back-and-forth of this is critical and healthy.

That aside, I'm a big believer in parole for those deemed worthy, and once someone has served his or her time, I sincerely want to support their reemergence into society. If Joel can use the tools that made him a lawyer to help others, assuming he has come around to acknowledging his mistakes and feels contrite, I think that's great. I admit LXIV's colorful comparison to a "dog going back to its vomit" may well be true in his case -- but I'm not going to presuppose that's the case. I'm gonna give him every hope of success and not take my eye off him for a minute, and if he effs up, he's cooked!

Tricia, I will try to read those codes later when I'm less bleary-eyed. I'm not sure this post makes sense as it is, so I don't want to try to tackle that now. Hopefully, DH will explain that too.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2003
  14. Watching You

Diatribe at Swamp II (CS)

A little retrospect on the post by the psycho at CS who has posted the mother of all posts, allegedly a letter submitted by Darnay Hoffman, regarding the pig Steinburg.

In the letter Darnay attempts to shift the blame for Lisa's murder to the hideously battered Nussbaum. I felt physically ill after reading that post. In fact, it really made me angry. How dare Hoffmann try to shove that crap down our throats in defense of the scum, Steinburg. Steinburg's not the one who had his face rearranged by Nussbaum. She was one of the most misused and abused women I've ever seen, beaten regularly by the pig Steinburg.

The pig got Hedda addicted to drugs, along with his own drug use, and controlled her with the drugs and the beatings. She was not even recognizable as a human being when Lisa died. Hedda was one of those women who didn't have a backbone and was controlled by the dictator Steinburg. If she were even capable of having a thought of her own, she wasn't able to act on it because he had beaten her down to nothing. She was nothing - that's what he made of her.

And, now to have that filth posted at CS defending the killer of Lisa and shifting the blame to Hedda is an abominable act of cruelty against not only the battered Hedda but against every woman who has ever been a victim of domestic abuse.

Hoffmann should not breathe the name of JonBenet Ramsey with the same mouth he is degrading women everywhere. You and your psycho at Swamp II make me sick, Hoffmann.

15. AK

AK Member

Phew, WY!

My monitor is still smoking from your post!

Candy, who has always been DH's biggest booster, has just succeeded in having his professional judgment and humanity questioned on every discussion group on the Net. She stepped in puddle after puddle here, avoiding questions that could have been easily answered, then stirring the pot by her meanness causing me to post on the current DH case, and then when I implied he worked for Hedda, instead of calmly correcting me she went ballistic and made sure everyone knows Joel is the person DH is repping. Nice goin', Candy! Don't ever do PR for me, OK?

And still, after all these posts from both of them, proving their computers and fingers DO work, we still don't have the answers to the questions I initially posted about Wood's accusations. Darnay has made himself a public figure in this case. I want to know that he didn't make some sort of unholy deal with Wood and Jams to broker the Enquirer deal. That is what Wood is suggesting. If that's not true, Darnay should take it on full throttle and clear up the matter. If it's true, do his missed court appearances factor in? Is he serving his clients' best interests? Is he done opposing the Ramseys and in fact now helping them? Darnay is articulate in explaining himself. I'm hoping there are simple answers that can stop our minds from going to the worst case scenario.

16. Tricia

Fedex I agree.

Thanks to Candy any support Darnay Hoffman had from us is gone. Done.

Candy went screaming to him, Darnay wrote some awful statement defending a pig like Steinberg and now nobody wants anything to do with Darnay.

Way to go Candy...Darnay what where you thinking when you posted that? That somehow everyone would go: "Ok I see your point"...no

No one here defended Westerfield. Yet Darnay lumped us all together. I am sure he did so at Candy's urging.

I have tried to separate the issues. Darnay working pro-bono for Jon Benet and any other work he is doing. However after reading everything over and over it's very difficult for me to do.

I am glad he is still taking on the JBR case but I have now lost faith in him.

Fedorax you are right. Darnay did not answer the questions anywhere that you so aptly posed.

I was hoping we could answer all those questions in a chat in March. However I am afraid Darnay's recent statement about Steinberg will over shadow everything which is too bad.

Darnay I would advise you not listen to those who only have their vindictive interest at heart. Not your best interest.

Like I told you on the phone many people were glad at least someone was doing something to help those who had been wronged by the Ramsey's.

I am afraid now that you let Candy dictate to you who you should lump together in your now famous "defending Westerfield" post you have lost most of that support.

There was no need for this to happen.

Tricia

17. Watching You

Fluck

Candy. She's trash.

18. AK

AK Member

19. Mandarin

Mandarin Member

Sorry, but ....

I have to agree with many here regarding DH .... I have no respect for him whatsoever now. But, to be truthful, I stopped singing any praises for him long ago .... I thought he was always seeking the spotlight. He married the Mayflower Madam, didn't he?

And who on earth would someone take Steinberg's case 'pro bono'? Birds of a feather, as they say ...

I am firmly convinced that DH had a lot to do with the tapes being released to NE, Jamiesson, etc. What I was thinking is that Jams and DH were working in concert with one another.

You can bet, that if they weren't, Jamieson would be slamming DH, which she isn't.

I put DH in the same boat as LW, Jamieson, Candy et al. There is absolutely nothing to admire in them. As for DH and the Jonbenet case, it was all a big ego trip for him, that's all. He likes to put himself in the centre of things, like Jamieson. Didn't he think of running for DA or mayor of Boulder?

Sorry Tricia, I'm much more cynical about cads like DH than you are, but that's how I feel about him and I doubt anyone could change my mind about him being a "spotlight" seeker.

Regards,
    Mandarin

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice