Great News. Lin Wood Has To Take His Side Show On The Road

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Tez

Tez Member

And to make the party complete, Hill!!!! :laffbig:

WY, you just crack me up!!!!!!!! :hug: I am glad I came back here to read before I went back to bed. Now, I feel a little bit better! Thank you!

2. Ginja

Ginja Member

This could be interesting

I went to Wood's homepage to see where he's admitted to the bar, and wouldn't you know it, he's admitted to the federal court in Colorado. This complaint has been filed with the federal court and so it appears that Wood's going to be representing his clients himself...no pro hac vice.

I can see him pushing for delaying this trial due to Patsy's recurring cancer and John's running for political office. However, we're not at the trial stage yet...as far as I know, it's still in discovery. Even with that, I can see him playing delay tactics in responding to discovery for the same reasons he'd delay for trial.

Fox's list of witnesses printed here...where did that come from? Was it presented as a list of "possible" witnesses? Before going to trial and calling all those people, Fox would want to depose them all. You know, find out what they know and what they would say before getting them up on the stand. If they have nothing to offer, Fox wouldn't call them to the stand. But Fox would only know their value after either getting answers to interrogatories from these people or bringing them in and deposing them. I'd be interested in either the interrogatory answers or depo transcripts if they can be had (wink, wink).

I don't think Wood has friends in Colorado's federal court system, so it will be interesting to see how he fights this case. It's certainly not going to be as easy as handling Keenan, Bailin or even Carnes. Besides, I'm sure Fox's attorneys are a helluvalot better equipped to handle the legal wrangling of this case than Darnay Hoffman ever was! IOW, the court's going to have ALL the evidence before it...not a bunch of one-sided stipulated facts! More interesting will be Carol McKinley, I would think. She's been on top of this case from the very beginning. If she plays this right, it could be the scoop of the century that catapults her into a national setting.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Fox sticks to its guns and fights this case. As Delmar pointed out, in many instances like this, it's less expensive to settle than to pay a team of lawyers beaucoup bucks to go to trial. But as with McKinley, the information gleaned from such litigation could blow the top off for Fox, giving it the story of the century. So who knows? It might be worth the bucks to see this thing through. Perhaps more of us should follow Delmar's lead and contact Fox, letting them know this is a a battle worth fighting.

3. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Ginja

Would that mean Candy is wrong?

4. Ginja

Ginja Member

Candy, huh?

I don't know what Candy is saying, Jayelles. And I'm not sure how much of a legal beagle you are, although I'm quite sure you know more than Candy!

All I know is what I read on Wood's homepage stating he's a member of the bar for the federal court of Colorado. So because of that, he has no problem going to Colorado and representing his clients in court on this matter.

If Wood wasn't admitted to the federal court in Colorado, he could do one of two things: (1) apply to the court for admission, or (2) represent his clients pro hac vice.

Attorneys who aren't admitted to the court can't represent clients in that court. They need to find local counsel who are admitted to that court. Those counsel would then move the court to admit Wood pro hac vice...that is, they ask the court to let Wood practice for this one case under their guidance. All paperwork is submitted by local counsel as counsel for the clients, and also signed by Wood as counsel pro hac vice. Local counsel have to be present at depos and whatnot, as well as in the courtroom for hearings and trial. Wood would still be able to conduct discovery, plead motions and work the trial; however, he wouldn't be able to play any of his under-handed games/stunts because officially/legally, the local counsel are the counsel of record and everything Wood does, they're responsible for, so they would be liable for any sanctions. If the judge got :(:(:(:(ed off enough, he/she could kick Wood off the case.

A similar situation (getting the pro hac vice attorney kicked off the case) happened here in RI a few months ago when the judge kicked Barry Scheck out on his you-know-what and then sanctioned him at a special hearing after the trial. Local counsel had to take over the case. P.S. they lost.

One other thing: jurisdiction. Most civil cases are heard in the state court, also known in many states as the superior court. However, for a number of different reasons, such cases can be removed from the state court to the federal court. One of those reasons has to do with the jurisdiction of the parties...as in this case where plaintiffs live in one state and the corporate entity being sued resides in another state. Perhaps this case was originally in the state court in Georgia which is what Candy may have been talking about. But I checked out the papers filed and they were filed in the federal (United States District Court for the District of Georgia) court. Now that the case has been removed to Colorado, it would be heard in the U.S. Dist. Ct for the Dist. of Colorado...to which Mr. Wood boasts admission on his website.

5. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Ginja

Candy posted this:-

http://www.cybersleuths.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004726;p=1

Thanks for that information. That is really interesting! It sounds as though the pro hac vice would have been a good thing in Wood's case. I was really irked the way he behaved like a bully in the ST depositions - wasting time when it was the other lawyer and then DEMANDING more time whenn it was him. Bleuch.

6. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

If Wood's not licensed in Colorado, how does he intend to represent the girl who accused Kobe of raping her? Seems kind of self-defeating to agree to take a case, then delegate to someone in Colorado who is licensed.

7. Tez

Tez Member

You know what? I haven't even been back to CS to read that thread. Kind of got busy laffing about Scott Peterson's list of stuff in his car.

Ginja pointed out that Lin is licensed to practice in Federal court in CO, so does that mean he is going to file all lawsuits for Kobe's accuser in Federal Court?

8. Tez

Tez Member

BTW, why would Haddon do anything for the Scamsey's? They still owe him money! :unreal:

9. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Tez,

I was thinking the same thing. Haddon wouldn't go near this with a ten-foot pole. Besides, I can't see the lofty Haddon allying himself in any way with the ambulance-chaser, Lin Wood.

Candy is so idiotic. ::shocked2

10. Ginja

Ginja Member

From Wood's Homepage

Under the biography section of Wood's website:

My take on Candy's post is that she's confused bar admission with court admission. From the above, Wood is a member of the Georgia bar only; however, he's admitted to practice in the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado.

So Wood's representing Kobe's accuser? Wonders never cease.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice