Karr and NBC News

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by BobC, Oct 12, 2006.

1. BluesStrat

BluesStrat BANNED !!!!!

If Karr turns over those undies, there is a greater chance the DNA in them will match Jayelle's Bloomie model. :floor:

Hey Jayelles! - I told ya not to sell those used Bloomies on Ebay! :floor:

2. tylin

tylin Banned

Yep we need to get on the ball and start the email campaign now. It really baffles me that Baba wants to do an interview with the creep.

3. YumYum012

YumYum012 Member

I agree, Tylin ... it's time to crank-up the email machine.

...YumYum

4. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

I think I'm gonna be sick.

5. BluesStrat

BluesStrat BANNED !!!!!

Baba Wawa has been a Ramsey kissass since day one. She knew she would never be able to interview "The Intruder", so she glommed on to the next best thing.

6. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

http://www.observer.com/20061016/20061016_Rebecca_Dana_media_nytv.asp

Fixer, Story Broker Larry Garrison Books Ramsey’s Non-Killer
    He Receives Prison Call From JonBenét Nut, Who Requests Diane Sawyer

By Rebecca Dana

When John Mark Karr got lonely during long nights in federal custody—when his thoughts turned to the media, to film and to book deals (and, it turns out, to Diane Sawyer)—the man he called was Larry Garrison, an independent television producer.

“And he called collect,†Mr. Garrison said.

Mr. Garrison said that his cell-phone bill from that month was more than $2,000. That included not just Mr. Karr’s jailhouse calls, but the cost of fielding calls from every major broadcast outlet, and a lot of the minor ones, too. All were looking to land the first television interview with Mr. Karr, the lissome, spooky-eyed man who had falsely confessed to killing JonBenét Ramsey.

Mr. Garrison, who is based in Ventura County, Calif., specializes in packaging high-profile cases. In TV parlance, he is a “story broker.†When something bad happens, story brokers are the people who help criminals and victims monetize their villainy or grief. They place themselves as middlemen between the supply of human drama and the demand for it—so news organizations have to do business with them.

And Mr. Garrison is the “king†of that business, according to multiple sources at ABC, the network that reached an initial agreement about interviewing Mr. Karr.

“He finds a way for ordinary people to profit from extraordinary circumstances,†one ABC source said.

Some brokers—the disreputable ones, in Mr. Garrison’s account—provide a means for news outlets to bid on big-get interviews without the ethically messy expedient of paying the subject. Instead, the winning network or tabloid will arrange to interview the subject for free, while paying a hefty “licensing fee†for home videos or personal photographs to accompany the story. (Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin’s widow chose this month to go with ABC and Barbara Walters; NBC offered $500,000 in licensing fees, according to a source with knowledge of the deal, but CBS and ABC offered between $750,000 and $1 million each.)

The pejorative term for those brokers is “fixers.†Mr. Garrison views himself not as an auctioneer but as a consultant and advisor—and a professional journalist in his own right. What he sells to the networks is production assistance on the stories he helps set up.

Mr. Garrison is also an author—his latest book, describing his work, is called The Newsbreaker—and he and the networks sometimes work out a promotional appearance for him as a quid pro quo.

Mr. Garrison has handled media deals for two Michael Jackson jurors, the relatives of Robert Blake’s dead wife, the family of vanished-in-Aruba teen Natalee Holloway and Joran van der Sloot, the chief suspect in Ms. Holloway’s disappearance. He relies, he says, on a collection of “over 80 people out in the field that just bring me stories.â€

So when a celebrity trial is convened or a cheerleader vanishes, Mr. Garrison is often the first person at the principals’ side, offering comfort and media coaching. He shops their book proposals and produces their movies.

Brokering remains, for some, an uncomfortable arrangement. “There’s a strong belief among people who work around and at [Good Morning America] that this is paying for interviews,†said one ABC source. “It goes back to what Lawrence Schiller did with Gary Gilmore during Executioner’s Song.â€

But thanks to Mr. Garrison and other brokers, it’s an arrangement that has to be made. “Larry, he’s certainly one of the most aggressive,†said another ABC source who has worked with him multiple times. “You can’t use the word ‘best.’ So, you know, we journalists sometimes look at it as interference. We’d rather get there, but he will get there, and you find out he has somebody’s story rights.â€

“Right now, I’m dealing with the woman who ingratiated herself with the B.T.K. killer,†Mr. Garrison said. He’s also dealing with Pamela Rogers, a schoolteacher convicted of sexual battery on one of her 13-year-old male students. For Ms. Rogers, Mr. Garrison is arranging a sweeps interview.

CONTINUED

7. RiverRat

“People don’t know the truth about her,†he said. “When I bring out the truth about her, it’ll make a difference. Do I condone being a pedophile? No way. But I think she needs help more than anything else.â€

Mr. Garrison said that some networks had offered hundreds of thousands of dollars for the chance to speak with John Mark Karr. But ABC won without offering a cent, he said. The network agreed with Mr. Karr that it would do an interview to air during the November sweeps period. By the beginning of October, only a few details remained to negotiate: what topics would be discussed, and who would conduct the interview.

“I pushed for Chris Cuomo,†Mr. Garrison said, “because Chris is an incredible interviewer.â€

Mr. Karr, however, wanted either Diane Sawyer or Barbara Walters. “He wanted a woman interviewing him,†Mr. Garrison said.

Two ABC sources said that neither Ms. Sawyer nor Ms. Walters wanted any part of the Karr interview.

On Oct. 6, Mr. Karr was taking two ABC producers on a tour of the San Francisco neighborhood where he used to live. Along the way, he asked them to stop the limo outside an elementary school where he used to teach. When he got out and peered in the schoolhouse windows, police were called, and the interview was called off.

Still, Mr. Garrison held out hope. “There probably will be an interview,†he said, “unless John sabotages it himself. I’ve had Larry King come asking. I’ve had NBC, CBS. We know where ABC stands right now. I just got off the phone with Greta [Van Susteren, of Fox News]. When you deal with a demanding person, and there’s delusions of grandeur, it’s difficult.â€

Too difficult, it seems, for ABC. “There is a zero percent chance that interview will happen,†an ABC source said. “He is completely shut down. His behavior at that school was so disturbing to our producers that that was game, set, match.â€

Mr. Garrison became Mr. Karr’s broker by first developing a relationship with Mr. Karr’s half-brother, Nate, and arranging interviews for Nate Karr at most of the major networks. Nate Karr impressed him, Mr. Garrison said, by choosing to do interviews for which he was not paid.

“To me, interviews like that should not be about money,†Mr. Garrison said. “It’s about getting the truth out. I’m not a holy roller. I’m Jewish. My kids are Catholic. I believe there’s one God for everybody. I believe in karma. I believe in doing right by people. That’s how I get the big stories. That’s how I beat people out. Because I’m there. I’m there for other news shows. I’m there if there’s a movie or a book. You can pick up the phone 10 years from now, and I’ll still be there.â€

Mr. Garrison was on both the Today show and Good Morning America this month, promoting his book. Opening the segment, Mr. Cuomo said, “Even the title makes me feel like I wanna be the newsbreaker. Why are you?â€

In reply, Mr. Garrison gave thanks to his sister R. Stephanie Good, who hunts pedophiles for the F.B.I., and explained that all he does is “stop the spin.†Mr. Cuomo described The Newsbreaker as a “very fascinating book.â€

What tickled Mr. Garrison was what happened afterward. He had asked Mr. Cuomo to give him a little time at the end of the segment to say hello to his granddaughter. But Mr. Cuomo forgot and launched straight into a commercial break (“When we come back, we’re gonna take a look at who that mastermind was behind hot Cheetos and ice cream …. â€)

So at the very end of the morning news show—in what Mr. Garrison said was an unprecedented gesture—Mr. Cuomo paused and said, “I have a very special message for Dylan: Grandpa La La loves you.â€

Now Mr. Cuomo and company are out of the running for Mr. Karr. But there are still enough suitors for Mr. Garrison to be choosy. He will not work with one of the major networks, he said (he declined to specify which), because he did two interviews with them about Mr. Karr and they stiffed him on a reciprocal interview about his book. He has standards: He will not work with serial killers, or with tabloid shows willing to pay outrageous sums for their home movies. He will not work with Nancy Grace.

He said he is not, as now, pursuing film or book deals for Mr. Karr. But he is eager to dangle tidbits—or hints of tidbits—about Mr. Karr for network bookers. What would Mr. Karr say, if someone got him on camera?

“All I can tell yo€ Mr. Garrison said, “is I am the only journalist—and I like to believe that I’m a journalist—who had private access to the jail.

“I wish,†he said, “I could say more.â€

8. YumYum012

YumYum012 Member

Gotta agree with you about Dr. Keith Ablow, BobCee. When he described Karr as "a CLASSIC pedophile", I almost puked. There is NOTHING "classic" about Karr. Karr my well be a pedophile ... but NOT in any "classic" sense of the word.

Ablow's almost HYSTERIC, tabloid-like conduct with Lauer ranks right up there with the likes of Nasty Grace and others of her sensationalist talking-head ilk.

... I'll withhold final judgement until I see the full interview with Karr ... but I'll view the interview (AND the editting) with a jaundiced eye.

Bear in mind ... Ablow was choosen (like Jerry Springer, Nasty Grace, etc) to boost ratings. ALWAYS keep that issue in the back of yer skull when listening to these people. Healthy skepticism can keep you from being victimized by snake-oil salesmen.

...YumYum

9. YumYum012

YumYum012 Member

EXCELLENT find, RivRat!

ABC's supposed horror at Karr's innocuous behavior at the school seems overly dramatic. I smell a rat.

...Consider. Karr was only HOURS out of jail ... free on American soil for the first time in YEARS! I'd visit familiar landmarks as well. I might even get out of a limo and look in the windows of my old school, house, or workplace. There is absolutely NOTHING unusual about that behavior! Yet ABC and others would have us envision that Karr was drooling and masterbating while fantacizing about ravaging children.

If there is more to the story, then ABC has an obligation to 'splain it. Otherwise, it's pure BULLSMIT!

I HATE today's Media!!!

...YumYum

10. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Yeah--classic pedophile my azz. He's a world class attention whore, that's about it

11. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

First, my disclaimer:

I in no way, shape or form have anything positive to say about Karr. He is a very disturbed individual, as well as all the other adjectives that have been attributed to him.

I, on the other hand, don't want, and won't allow myself to be distracted from the really really bad guys. They are the guys that allowed this individual to become a celebrity, put his name on the map, and likely have paved the way for him to reap large financial, undeserved rewards.

I will not stay angry at Karr. I continue, every time I hear Karr's name or see Karr's face on any media station, to become absolutely INFURIATED at Tracey, Lacy, Smit, and the others who are 100% responsible for the status of Mark Karr today.

They were the whores. Karr is just the product of their own greed that backfired big time!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :curses: :curses:

12. BluesStrat

BluesStrat BANNED !!!!!

I think we need to find out how to contact Karr, then take up a collection and buy him a ticket back to Boulder. This guy REALLY needs to be wandering around on Mary Lacy's home turf. Maybe we can even get him a month's rent at a cheap apartment right down the street from where Lacy lives. She brought him here, she needs to be the one whose windows he's peeking into at night.

Teach dat b!tch a lesson! :fishslap:

13. BobC

But...but she was protecting the CHILDREN OF THAILAND!!!!!

14. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

real victims

The REAL victims of Tracey/Lacy are JMK's boys. I feel so sorry for them because I know other kids are probably saying cruel things to them. It would have been so much better to investigate enough to know JMK could not be the murderer and then simply alert the authorities in Thailand that they have one sick guy wondering around their country.

15. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

An EXCELLENT POINT TEXAN!

Who is protecting the children of those the RST's bus is rolling over? Certainly not all the crusaders and childrens' advocates that make up the RST mantra!

Jameson had no problem making life tougher for Ariana Pugh when life was tough enough for that family

Jameson and her congregation had no problem targeting Fleet White's children when they spoke of him as they do

Mame/Mary Suma had no problems with creating a fantasy leaving the White children targets of liflelong accusations of their pedophile ancestors

And what of the children and families of the Gigaxs' of the world who are next on Tracey's list?

What of the poor Karr boys?

Advocates for children? No. Advocates for Ramsey children? Yes

16. BobC

yeah--no crap. I guess I was so busy gawking at this tacky sideshow that I forgot this creep has kids. Sad sad sad. When did being a parent become a part-time job.

17. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

not only that

I know Karr is sick, but couldn't he find some decency in him somewhere to spare his kids the humiliation of their dad talkin' about little girls coming on to him, etc.?

18. tylin

tylin Banned

After reading many of his emails, I've come to the conclusion this perv doesn't deserve to recieve any more media attention. :loser: :sick: But sadly, that's not to be. He's not only doing an interview with Baba Wawa but check this out:
    http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/larry.king.live/

Monday's show (Oct. 16)
    John Mark Karr
    He captured the world's attention with his false claims about JonBenet Ramsey. You've heard all the theories why. Now, John Mark Karr tells his side of the story. Tune in Monday at 9 p.m. ET.

E-mail your questions for "Larry King Live"

19. RiverRat

I'm in.

20. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Me too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice