New Ramsey case novel by Joyce Carol Oates - "My Sister, My Love"

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by koldkase, May 8, 2008.

1. Niner

Niner Active Member

Thanks KK! I'll be on the look out! Sounds like an interesting book! And V - I'll be looking for that discussion thread this summer!
    And Karen - thanks for that other link!

2. coloradokares

coloradokares Member

I have long said that the reason the reason they were not prosecuted was you cannot force spouses to testify against the other. In effect John could not be compelled to testify against Patsy or visa versa.... Hunter knew that and knew without that he would not be assured a conviction. He wanted a sure thing. That is of course my opinion

3. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

I think that once they let the Ramseys "fly" out of that house without arresting them for interrogation if they refused--which is what Smit later said HE WOULD HAVE DONE--it was over.

But then, I think that was planned before they ever made the 911 call. I also think Hunter was in on it from Day One.

[That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it!]

4. coloradokares

coloradokares Member

I tried to have faith that was Hunters way to linient way of doing things. Truth ...you could be far more right than I am on that score. You most likely are. I tried to have faith, but I am not saying you are wrong. I do agree it was over when they did not separate them and interrogate them right then and there. Any one else would have held their feets to the flames.

5. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

I know that spouses can't be forced to testify against each other, but I thought that when it came to murder, especially the murder of their child, that law did not apply. When you think about it- when parents kill a child, either Murder One or accidentally - there are usually no other witnesses. This gives any parent a free pass- just be sure there are no witnesses and you've gotten away with murder.

6. coloradokares

coloradokares Member

Most parents confronted with the truth would sing like canarys against their husband/wife if one of them were to kill their child. Some will stay loyal to their mate usually for one of two reasons. Fear of being charged themselves. Fear. If my hubby ever had hurt one of our kids well Id be the one facing charges that alone doing whatever I could to see justice done. Many do end up being the testimony that puts the guilty behind bars. But you cannot be forced to. Then there are the cases where to save their own hide they will or remain silent. I wander if John presented with the goods now would save his own hide or claim it was all Patsy? I can hear the lizard now. I had no idea all these years. if only certain interogation techniques were legal.....

7. koldkase

You know, the law is different on some issues from state to state, but here's what I'm THINKING about spousal privilege:

A spouse cannot be forced to testify against a spouse, as you said, Colorado. But if a spouse CHOOSES to testify against a spouse, he/she can ONLY testify to what he/she saw or heard OUTSIDE of what the spouse TOLD HIM/HER. The spousal privilege mainly covers what was TOLD or SAID to the spouse in confidence.

I may be very wrong about this though. Like I said, I'm no lawyer. I don't believe the crime in question changes spousal privilege, but if someone knows, we'd love to be schooled. :yes:

8. koldkase

I base my opinion of Hunter's corruption from the beginning on his refusal to get a subpoena for the phone records of the Ramseys, and TO THIS DAY that has not been done. NO DA IN THIS COUNTRY would OBSTRUCT an investigation into a child murder in this way, UNLESS he was hell bent on making sure the investitigation was diverted.

You see, IMO, that one common investigative procedure is normally done PRONTO in any criminal investigation where knowing the actions of the suspects DURING THE TIME THE CRIME WAS BEING COMMITTED is CRITICAL to either INCLUDE OR EXCLUDE THEM--more commonly known as AN ALIBI.

When Hunter put his foot down on that simple and effective technique, he probably hindered THE ONE PIECE OF EVIDENCE THAT COULD HAVE SOLVED THIS CASE IN A MATTER OF DAYS.

WHY WOULD HE DO THAT? :steamed:

Well, I'm not yelling at you, Colorado, just yelling because I cannot bear to think how corrupt Alex Hunter is and how he aided in obstructing the murder investigation of a child's brutal molestation, bludgeoning, and strangulation. I'm sure he's rationalized this to himself a million times, but it's not JUSTICE. Not for JonBenet, not for our Justice System, and not for the citizens of this entire country, which will never forget what he and the Ramseys did.

NEVER!! :curse:

Ooops. I got started again.... :blush:

9. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

That's OK, we all get riled up about this case from time to time.

10. sboyd

sboyd Member

It is patently clear that this case was obstructed from the beginning. It was hands off.

11. coloradokares

coloradokares Member

You go right ahead and get all riled up. I am just as steamed. I thought it was about not prosecuting what he felt was not a winnable case. I long ago abandnoned that thought for "Oh hell no he sold out" I have said it a hundred times this case is solved it just has never been prosecuted!!

12. coloradokares

coloradokares Member

Agreed but there was a time back in the ancient of days that Alex Hunter made it sound like he thought they were guilty but he couldnt prosecute without more evidence. I have come to believe that it was a done deal from the first phone calls. We need a special prosecutor. It needs to come out of the safe and warm and fuzzy mits of Lacy too. My hope is one day we can prove and prosecute them ALL....Clean Sweep.

13. DeeDee

DeeDee Member

Isn't it only the governor who can call in a special prosecutor? Because that's why is didn't and won't happen. The governor's office helped orchestrate the coverup from the beginning. The obstruction of justice began there.

14. coloradokares

coloradokares Member

Governor Owens failed to call for an Office of special prosecutor but he made it clear who he felt was responsible. Now we have Ritter as the Gov. Many were hopeful that would see things change as Ritter was the DA of Denver at the time. Nothing and we wait....NADA. I really think that most felt it the Lt. Gov Office that was friendly with those who were the coverup.

15. rashomon

rashomon Member

Hunter alleging to need more evidence was nothing but a cheap excuse on his part not to prosecute them.
    What more evidence was he asking for? This Ramsey case was a basically a slam-dunk case against the parents, and ITA with you CK, had they been taken to the police station immediately after the discovery of the the body, been interviewed separately, and their clothing collected on the spot, we probably would not be discussing this case today.

The 'dream team' lawyers hired by the BPD btw all said the Ramseys should be arrested. What would have legally justified an arrest in such a case, considering the Colorado laws?

But Hunter was obviously wrong, at least according to Schiller's footnote on the same page:

Hunter is a classic example of the saying "Fish rots from the head down."

16. rashomon

rashomon Member

From Joyce Carol Oates' article:
    Interesting - Burke seems to have suffered from encopresis too when he was younger. Is this info in any of the books about the case?

17. coloradokares

coloradokares Member

18. koldkase

Oates isn't pulling any punches, is she?

One thing so often forgotten is how many times the Ramseys were DIRECTLY contacted BY THE COLORADO ATTORNEY GENERAL'S HUSBAND. To offer condolences, allegedly. Me, I think it was all just more of the cover up, pulled off by powerful people with powerful connections. Why would they do that?

Lockheed Martin, of course.

19. Elle

Elle Member

He sure is one classic example of an apology for a man, rashomon.

20. coloradokares

coloradokares Member

Exactly!! Exactly!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice