Oh GOD - Michael Tracey is back again

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by BobC, May 6, 2002.

1. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

I'm a little baffled

because I don't think internet forum behavior is all that much different from real life behavior in most cases. What you see is what you get with me - I'm no different off the forum than I am on. Well, maybe I am. I'm more wordy on the forum than I am in RL - I tend to be on the quiet side around people I don't know well, but with my friends and family, I let it all hang out.

I figure, if you're a rat in RL, it's going to manifest itself in your posts at some time or another. If you are a manipulator, con man (or woman), liar, thief, cheat, miserable bustard - it's all going to come out through your posts. You don't have to look far to prove that - there are some really low-down, miserable people in the world, if you judge entirely by the forums. There are a lot of good people, too. I mean, come on, can you find any lovelier grandma than Voyager? I doubt she is any different in RL than she is on the forum. And, then we have the m's of the world - self-important, narcissistic, theatrical - think they are different in RL? How about jameson? I don't.

Maybe the only real difference between cyber and RL is that one might be more inclined to speak out from behind the cyber curtain than in person. In fact, if the truth were known, maybe the forums are more indicative of the real person than RL is. Scarey, isn't it. While I'm as inclined to tell someone off in RL as I am in cyberland, there still has to be a good reason for me to do so, other than pure meanness. I think many times what we see coming out is the pure meanness in some posters - the true character, as opposed to the fake front many wear in RL.

I'm right, you know I am, haha.

2. MJenn

MJenn Member

Well, darnit! I guess I missed that, too. The part where someone figured out this murder.

Me, I'm still trying to figure out "who" did it. I have a short list. But I'm not there yet.

I have figured out some things in just the last few months that I didn't know before. When I say "know," I'm referring to my own beliefs, based upon logic and the evidence I have at hand.

Like what ACTUALLY was going on with the Ransom note that morning...not what John and Patsy SAY happened, but what really happened. I guess I could post my recent meanderings at WS on this here, as Moab requested. For those who already have the answers to this mystery, just scroll on by that thread.

Of course, I could be wrong--probably am, I know that. But that's my point. No one has revealed the definitive answers to what happened on the night JonBenet was murdered. That's what I'm after. And I do believe we can know. That's what evidence is all about. We just don't have it all, do we? So using the bits and pieces we DO have makes for a long and arduous process. Not having the experience and all the evidence ties our hands behind our backs.

But I'm still trying. Again--BECAUSE THE MURDERER IS STILL FREE AND UNIDENTIFIED.

The company here is interesting, though.

3. fly

fly Member

separate issue

WY - Sure, you're right about there being similar types offline as well as online. There are also people offline who are obsessed with one thing or another. But I still say that the kind of long-term attention - especially when there is nothing new - is not typical behavior. JBR isn't the only topic where this occurs. I'm sure I'd feel the same way about the OJ forums, JFK assassination forums, etc.

MJenn - We don't know who did away with Hoffa, either, but wouldn't you think it weird if your neighbor spent significant time everyday saying the same old things about what is known? Would you think your neighbor weird if s/he looked for any mention of the activities or whereabouts of any of the police's prime suspects?

Isn't there a point where folks say there's no point (other than mental masturbation) in repeated the same old issues - even if the mystery is not solved? I think there is, and we probably ought to be well past that.

4. Dunvegan

Dunvegan Guest

I disagree, fly...

...you see, I actually, really, and in Real Life&trade; <b>believe</b> that this crime can be...and very possibly <b>will</b> be prosecuted. As I understand, there is still no statute of limitations on murder in this country.

You could say that Dominick Dunn and Mark Furhman were obsessed with studying and researching and publishing about the Martha Moxley murder. Not only one...but two authors. And, neither author just let it go at a book, but as they also spent time in the media eye insisting that this crime still had unfinished business with an un-indicted defendant.

Fly, would you say that those who bought the books, and now follow the crime are obsessed? Or, could it be that they are following the culmination of justice, also? There is a little of the puzzle to it to maintain interest, but a good deal of the fire is simply fueled by pure outrage.

It took years to clear away the obfuscation and finally see clearly the prosecutable perp: Michael Skakel. Even Kennedy family money and status has not, in the end game, protected him against relentless interest and investigation.

And, this is a very important trial to Mrs. Moxley.

As Watching You says, this forum is, in a way, Real Life&trade;...some of us are not very much different than you see us here. Just as an author is not his book, we are also not entirely limited by the Ramsey murder case, or any particular narrowcasted interest or description. However many of us here are believers in the power of action and also believe, as Edmund Burke believed, "All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

It has something to do with not liking the idea of someone murdering and buying or charming or fast talking their way out of it. Murder is the ultimate crime, and murder produces the most helpless of victims: those silenced forever. And some of us think that just because you've silenced your victim, does not mean that no one will witness against you. I'd hate to think that murder was, across the board, the easiest way to cover up a crime and escape trial.

Today a trial is wending it's way to a verdict in Connecticut. Perhaps, someday there will be a trial in Boulder. After all, as MJenn says, "there is still a child killer out there."

And, there is still no statue of limitations on murder or justice.

5. Thor

Thor Active Member

Well said Dun

The JonBenet case is a real life whodunit and it isn't over after 5 plus years. You couldn't have made this whole thing up with all the twists and turns. I was talking to a law clerk in our office last year and he asked me why I was so obsessed with the case. He actually used the word obsessed. I told him what I put above. But you're right, Dun, its more than that. Its about wealthy people thinking they are above the law, buying and charming their way through the whole process, couple that with their powerful lawyers, a chickenchit and probably crooked DA, a bumbling police force and what else? Oh yes, a Code 6 Wingnut and mix it all together...this is why I am "obsessed" with this case. It is fascinating. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Fuhrman or Dunne would write a book about this case and have it lead to what happened in Moxley? Now that would be interesting.

6. Freebird

Freebird Active Member

You guys are obsessed...............I'm here for the booze.

7. imon128

imon128 Banned

Needy me

I'm obsessed with this case AND I need the booze...does that make me a new breed? Gosh, I hope so...I could use a breath of fresh air, a new JonBenet book, and a Jack Daniels black label and Diet Squirt. Okay, throw in a palm tree and beach, too. What the hey, hey?

8. MJenn

MJenn Member

Oh! I just said on another thread that I wish I could write a book like Dunne did on the Moxley murder! Now that I'm reading Furhman's book on that murder, I'm really impressed at how close Dunne came to what actually happened. He's not the best writer, as far as literature is concerned, but darn, can that man tell a story!

Hey, pour me a shot of that Jack, neat, please. Heck, light me a cig, too. I haven't drank or smoked in years, but what the hey! Virtual reality leaves no hangover.

9. purr

purr Active Member

i too am a believer!

i believe this case will be solved and prosecuted some day too!

i believe the truth will be spoken!

i believe our "force" either here on the forum
    or out there in the real world will never
    let this mystery die.

i know i wont!

i am woman........hear me roar!

a powerful purr

10. AK

AK Member

Fly...

I'm puzzled about your statement which seems to indicate we should logoff and find new hobbies. Since when is an obsession a negative? :)

I'm involved with cases much older than this one, some far more high profile. To hard-core case followers, the years bring more intrigue and better understanding, both of what went wrong initially (mistakes are always made), and how to guard against these problems in the future (because there's very little originality to homicide cases and trials).

I know one case where followers meet annually as lecturers present new information, and their online discussions have blazed for years. It's important to them to learn as much as possible, and there is always news. A key participant dies and papers are made public... a court ruling changes everything overnight... a new book is enlightening or maddening. The beat goes on. I find it most exciting, and I'm hardly alone.

Speaking of which, Dunv :), Sirhan did not kill RFK. The trial occurred before the autopsy report was done and on its basis, Sirhan was never closer than apx two feet to the left front of Kennedy, while the fatal blow came from two inches behind his right ear. The beat goes on there too.

As for Tracey's idea, I would say outside of a possible academic audience, there's likely to be no publisher interest. How is he going to write it, by cutting and pasting material from forums? He doesn't even have the patience to read them himself. We forum groupies of longstanding at least have a basis of understanding that would be critical for a first-person account, so what is he expected to do--condense and paraphrase? Hire ACR? Who would care to read such a thing, or pay for it? This fuzzy thinking is nothing new for him, it proves how poorly he knows the marketplace. Still I'm in favor of anything that takes him out of the classroom where he's poisoning the minds of journalism students each year. Wait until they grow up and see what a loss his lessons are in the real world.

11. Camper

Camper Banned

Yeah

Lets just say in "MY' case that I have an intense interest in bringing the killer/s to justice, otherwise lets just legalize murder.

It would really affect the economy, no more lawyers trying to figure out "who dun it", cause the Tshirt motto now works "Just Do It", legal secretaries would lose their jobs, mortuary business would certainly pick up, (like Thor's gum cracking over the half wall cubicle bimbo), more EMT's, fewer long term nursing staff, probably be more cremations (to preserve our land mass area). You all know I could go on and on with the ramifications, but.

Little JonBenet is on my mind, and in the back of my mind, and brought to mind everytime, I see my little 6 yr old grand daughters, or any little girl about that size that I see in my activities outside my home.

The ever present questions on my mind are, who did it, why did they do it, where are they?

Pass the Vitamin Cottage electrolye powdered drink for me,
    I prefer the health trail. To each his own.

12. fly

fly Member

the concept of proportion

Dunvegan - Sure, the case might someday be prosecuted. They just arrested a guy in our state for a murder committed 34 years ago. It happens. However, surely you don't think that it would be "normal" to daily revisit the details of a crime for 34 years? I seriously doubt that in the Moxley case the people involved have spent significant time almost every day talking about the crime.

There's no doubt that the JBR case has been very compelling. The issue is one of proportion, especially at this point in the case.

Fedorax - I rather doubt that the prospect of making a ton of money is the primary incentive for Tracey's book. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but I suspect he is doing it for the same reasons other academicians write books--that there's an issue worth discussing.

BTW - Note that I've not said the JBR case or forums are unique. I'd consider the folks you mention to be in the same boat.

13. MJenn

MJenn Member

Who cares?

Who cares, Fly, how we spend our time? I've done many hobbies in my life. I've worked and raised a family, and still do both. What do you care if my present interests include researching true crime on a daily basis? Is this worse than watching TV every day? Reading books? I read A LOT of books. Does that make me OBSESSED WITH BOOKS?

LOL Too funny.

And FOR THE RECORD: I'm not just rehashing the same old concepts. I find new stuff, new ideas in this case all the time. And I discuss old stuff for people who are new to the case, who have questions just like I did when I came to this Internet community 2 years ago.

Like I said, if you've got this case solved and all the answers...please, please, please tell us. And the BPD. Then I'll have more time for the other things in my life that I work on DAILY, OBESESSED FREAK THAT I AM.... :) Because I don't care who figures it out, just so the killer is caught.

Doesn't anyone else worry that if this killer is a pedophile or a sociopath, he'll do this again? Or something like it? Because while I accept Patsy as a viable suspect, the garrote and sexual abuse says MALEMALEMALEMALE to me. Maybe it was staged by John to cover some accident...but I don't KNOW that. Like I said...PROVE who committed this murder, and I'll celebrate with the rest of you.

14. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Probably

A New-Age Criminal Defense How To book - if it is be written by a Ramsey associate, especially this one.

The forums were used in many ways. Used - to test the water and to muddy the water. We have set prescedant for the unfortunate high profile murder mysteries to come.

I would, however, give my permission to him to include one certain one-thousand post thread for filler.

15. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

16. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

heh heh rr.

Interesting thoughts about why we are still here after more than 5 years.

Have you ever tried to discuss this case with someone lately? They look at me like I am nuts. Ok so I am but you know what I mean. If I can I start explaining, little by little, the whole "Ramsey Circus" if you will. Then an amazing thing happens.

People want to know more. They have just forgotten. For some reason many people think the case is over. Then they start getting angry just like all of us.

I just repeat my mantra to all who will listen.

The day we shrug our collective shoulders at the murder of a child, the day we just say "oh well let's move on" is the day we cease to be a civilized society.

I really believe that.

Thank God for the internet. The internet is the one and only reason we can keep this alive now.

Remember as soon as it could be done the Moxley family supporters started using the internet to get the word out. The Moxley murder still mattered. Now look. A trial. Thank God.

We all have other interests that have nothing to do with this case. However let's face it. We keep coming back. Why? Because every once in a while something happens, somebody comes up with a thought that makes it all worth while again. Plus we like each other. Ok so we don't like everyone but you know what I mean.

Another reason I keep coming back is to let the Ramseys know I have not, nor will I, ever forget JonBenet. I will continue to post, in all different kinds of ways, in every way I can think of,

"PATSY YOU'RE GOOD FOR IT".

I for one am not going away.
    We can make a difference just by staying involved and that is a beautiful thing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice