Patsy Ramsey's cancer returns

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Watching You, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Boy, do I ever hear you, Ginja

but to keep from raising my blood pressure too much on this Saturday morning, I will try to refrain from getting on a rant about health care in this country. My mother has never had a problem with her BC/BS and Medicare covering all her hospitalizations, but she's never had two things go wrong at once that necessitated two separate admissions, like your mom did. That is supposed to be cost effective? Give me a freaking break. That is exactly the kind of BS that raises costs.

Oh, shut up, WY, you said you weren't going to go there. I'm not. I think every so-called health insurance provider in this country needs to be investigated, because the costs (including out of pocket cost for the patient) are going up too fast while the service is going down. The insurance companies blame it on the cost of health care, and the medical people blame it on the insurance companies and malpractice insurance costs. Meanwhile, it's the little guy, again, who suffers from their greed.

Just this past year, the hospitals and clinics in our city were going to stop accepting BC/BS because the payments they wanted to make to these places for services rendered were crippling the establishments' ability to provide quality health care. This, in the face of a big increase (again) in co-pays and premiums. I switched my insurance to a different carrier, then, and I'm glad I did. I'm still with an HMO, though. I understand BC/BS is getting ready to raise their rates again big time.

Have you ever looked at a statement from your health care provider and seen just how much the insurance companies actually pay and how much is forgiven as professional courtesy? I was blown away by how little they actually pay - all in all, last year I think I paid five times as much in insurance premiums than the insurance company paid out in fees, even though I had x-rays and numerous tests ordered by my doctor. When I had a colonoscopy a couple years ago, the insurance company paid only a small percentage of the cost - I paid the co-pay, and the doctor and hospital forgave the rest as professional courtesy. Those without insurance, however, pay the whole shot. Is that fair?

What about prescription costs? My co-pay is now on a pyramid scale - top shelf is $35 co-pay. I pay $15 for my BP medicine, the insurance company pays $6, the rest is "forgiven." That is total BS. Meanwhile, back at the corral, the amount that comes out of my paycheck every week as a 5% contribution to health care costs my employer picks up continues to rise at a phenonominal rate; yet, all we get are platitudes and complaints but no action to find out why this is happening. It sucks.

Whew, I'm glad I didn't really go there - my BP's only raised a few notches.

Ginja, I am so sorry for what your mother and your whole family is having to go through now. Cancer is an ugly disease. I'm glad your mom has got you. She is going to need all the support she can get. If you haven't already, get researching this on the Internet and everywhere else you can get literature on breast cancer. Knowledge is everything - go forearmed with it so you know the right questions to ask and when to question. I know you're not afraid to ask questions. Your mother could have no better advocate than you in all your feistiness. You and your mother have my solid prayers and support.

2. Wolfmarsgirl

Wolfmarsgirl Member

Cancer is a devastating disease. I lost both of my maternal grandparents to cancer (my grandmother was only 54).

I wish the best for Patsy. I sincerely hope she can fight this battle.

I was wondering what you hinted at, Bob...

Somehow, I thought John might be running for office in order to make a break from Patsy. Or, as it seems, perhaps he will be able to run for office because he will shortly be making the ultimate break from Patsy.

Could John be planning to use his position in public office as podium of sorts to announce the 'truth' if something happens to Patsy in the meantime?

Could this be his way of getting 'justice for Jonbenet,' after the death of the 'perp?'

Honestly, when I heard he was running, I wondered if Patsy's cancer had returned. Strange.

What did you hint at Bob? Were you thinking the same thing?

3. Maxi

Maxi Member

I was told that, once a cancer has metastasized, you are never regarded as "cured". The goal is to keep any remaining cancer cells from spreading.

Had Patsy's ovarian cancer metastasized to her lymph system or other organs when she was diagnosed? Since she was said to be at Stage IV, I assume it had. In that case, she was never really cured. It was just under control.

Patsy said she is not afraid of dying because she will be with JonBenet. I assume that means she either feels she has not responsibilty for her daughter's death, or that she has been forgiven. I wonder which it is.

4. imon128

imon128 Banned

Hi Maxi!! It's very good to see you posting here!! Welcome.

I haven't always agreed with Patsy's behavior but I sure don't wish her anything but good luck with this terrible disease.

5. Wolfmarsgirl

Wolfmarsgirl Member

Ditto, Imon!!!

Hi-ya Maxi!!! How've you been? :) :) :) :) :) :)

6. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

Re: Boy, do I ever hear you, Ginja

Ginja, you and your mother are in my thoughts and prayers. If there is anything I can do, even if it's just be a shoulder to lean on, and ear to listen please don't hesitate to speak up. Tricia can give you my phone number if you need it. Day or night. Please call.

One thing you keep in mind as you deal with all of this is to take care of you while you take care of your mom. We all tend to forget that.

Watching You, if this country got together and stopped paying those high premiums and started paying their doctors directly, the insurance companies might wake up. IMHO it's the insurance companies who are getting rich.

I don't have insurance. My doctor charges me as a "private Pay" patient. The cost of my office visit? $41.00. My doctor doesn't have to pay his staff to deal with all the insurance BS and paperwork for me. Unfortunately, I pay rip-roaring high costs on prescriptions but I am about to start ordering those from Canada and the American drug companies can just bite me. So far, I have not gone to the hospital since losing my insurance but I suspect they too will charge about what your HMO is paying them mainly because they don't have to deal with the BS and paperwork of your HMO. JMH&CPO.

Drug companies are just as bad as insurance companies BTW. Tell me why drugs that have been on the markets for years are going sky high in costs? There is no excuse for that. I use to be able to buy 100 tablets of Synthroid (3+ month supply) for about $12.00. Now I pay over $23.00 for a one month supply.

Maybe it is time for the insured to say, enough is enough and go on strike.

For the record car insurance is falling in line too. My car insurance went up over $200 this past year. I did not buy a new car. I did not have a claim. I have not had a violation. I have been with the same company for over 20 years and have had no claims and no violations but my cost goes up over $200 for a year?

7. Ginja

Ginja Member

Thank you all

...for your thoughts and prayers. As I'm sure you know, it's been quite the busy, emotional rollercoaster.

I spoke to Dr. Szundi and was told that breast cancer has the best results of survival, so that the "date" to get beyond isn't 5 years....because most people survive the first 5 years of breast cancer; but rather, it's a TEN year "bump" breast cancer survivors need to get over. This is what happened to my friend's mother who at this moment is undergoing a second masectomy. The first was 8 years ago and the family 'celebrated' the 5 year hurdle and were naturally very upset when their mom was diagnosed with cancer last week.

My mom's doing pretty good and got out of the hospital Friday night; she's on insulin shots to get her blood sugar stabilized. Once stabilized, she can take insulin pills as well as going back to the hospital to have a biopsy. But as I think I've already told you, the doctors have already told her it's not going to come back 'benign'. But once it's out of the way, then they can work out how to tackle the cancer. I'll keep you all posted.

It never ends, though, and this is why I haven't been online as much as I usually am. Friday afternoon I took my pups to the vet and neither is doing very well. I call them pups, but they're really my babies...and old. Beri's a mixed terrier about 14 years old and Belle's a maltese who just turned 6 in October. Anyway, Beri's needs surgery to have all her teeth removed as they're infected and loose, but she needs bloodwork to make sure she can be sedated (due to her age). The 'baby' though, isn't in good shape. Belle has an eye infection (which is why I brought the two to the vet) and ear infections (which I didn't know about) and a heart murmur! Worse, she needs blood work because it looks as though she's got diabetes. I'm at wit's end now because of treatment for her...she "fights" me for everything...doesn't let me bathe her or groom her (but I do anyway, it just takes a long time) and she doesn't let me put in her eye drops or ear ointment. Lordy, what's going to happen when I have to give her insulin shots!

Myself, I've spent the winter at the hospital for various tests and surgeries and one of the things I have to maintain (ha ha ha) is a stress free environment! I was doing pretty good for a couple of weeks there until I got word about my mother. I got through that and then got word from the vet about my babies. Needless to say, the last couple of days the stress has started to get a hold of me again and I've been pretty sick myself. My last word on all of this is that if I see another model dancing around with her stomach painted, I'm suing Zelnorm's advertisers! lol

Thanks for caring all and I'll keep you posted.

8. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

Hi Ginja....

So sorry to hear of all the trials and tribulations that have accosted you these past few months....

I will keep you, your mom, and your pups in my daily prayers for strength and healing....and as JR suggested, you need to look out for your own health first....

Take care Ginja,
    Voyager

9. 1000 Sparks

1000 Sparks Active Member

Ginja

Yes, you have a lot to contend with. I'm sorry and hope all turns out good for you.

My :(:(:(:(:(ue had her teeth out and didn't have a problem eating...just soften it a bit. As far as the blood workup...had to have that done for my Lacey cause of her age, when I had her spayed..all went well.

Hang in there.................

10. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Ginja

I am so sorry to hear about your mom's cancer and about all your other problems. What you need is a week in the sun on Aruba with Szundi! Hope that's coming up soon for you.

I will keep you in my prayers.

11. Wolfmarsgirl

Wolfmarsgirl Member

Hi Ginja. I too am sorry to hear about your mom. Keep on keeping on...That is all you can do right now. I sincerely hope things will look up for you and your family soon.

12. Niner

Niner Active Member

well I heard it's because Medicare will pay a bigger percentage for Seniors - so they (drug cos) have to raise those drug prices so they still get their money!! :crosseyed

13. JustChillun

JustChillun Member

good cell/bad cell

Ginga, we will have to pray for you and yours.
    J_R, being this close to Mexico, seems that the meds could be obtained by the one day bus ride tourism thing via a Mexican doctor, y'know, shopping and Monopril all in the same journey. Cheap, convenient, and potentially a fun thing to embark upon.
    I read about the autoimmune system being held somewhat at bay by a group of anti-inflammatories, and the "bad reactions" being kept somewhat in check as well by the same med. This being due to the link between chronic inflammation and a myriad of evils wrought upon the immune system and the body as a whole, by said inflammation.
    As for Patsy, sounds like when the old girl said that she was cured, it was faith or hope talking, maybe optimism or wishful thinking...but certainly not a convincing sound to any of it if she was above grade III.

14. Ginja

Ginja Member

Cheaper in Canada?

Up in these parts, a lot of people are buying their meds in Canada.

Last week the news did a special on high costs of drugs in the U.S. and the "need" for Americans to buy from other countries to save on costs. The problem with this is that these other places aren't FDA controlled and can be harmful if not fatal. I suspect this refers to Mexico and perhaps the Caribbean. But I was under the impression that the U.S. drug companies (which are FDA approved) send the same drugs to Canada but at far lower rates.

The reason why I bring this up is because I said I "suspect" Mexico but wonder if the news was talking about Canada. That is, a woman's son, about age 28 or so, bought his prescriptions on the internet and because the meds weren't medically correct, the man died.

Did anyone else hear about this case? And if so, do you remember what country the guy was buying his drugs?

15. "J_R"

"J_R" Shutter Bug Bee

JustChillun, my doctor OK'd me buying my drugs from Canada but warned me away from Mexico because they don't have the same approval standards.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice