Picture Perfect?

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

FWIW, Betty Morris Hamilton copyrighted 7 of her paintings. Pals is not one of them. That doesn't mean it wasn't copyright as we all know.

It DOES suggest that Ms Hamilton is conscious of copyright.

Elsewhere resembles a snakepit just now with the writhing and twisting.

2. Elle

Elle Member

I like Hamilton's painting so much better too. Jay.

The teacher I had in Niagara Falls was also a Registered Nurse, and she was well known in the area, because a lot of her art work was bought, and can be seen in offices, hotels and the hospital. In fact she was the last teacher I had here in the Falls. Up until I went to her, I was just doing brushwork, but
    she painted with the brush and pallete knife, and I liked the effect. Nice when doing rocks.

I would say there must have been about 20 students in this art class. This teacher was famous for her Autumn scenes. She really was good with knife paintings. I had a great time.

I wondered if I was going to read that Betty Morris Hamilton was one of Patsy's teachers, because some teachers do teach from their own paintings, as I stated before. Teachers encourage you to copy from some other famous paintings; to experiment.

I attended one class when I was in Texas, and you had to do so much at a time, exactly as the teacher was telling you to do. She had her own finished painting up on an easel, and then she started a new one, and we had to follow her. I hated that damn class and left after I finished the first panting of a large tree. All these women painting five large green circles on a tree trunk, then we dobbed in the leaves. I think this is how they paint the Wall-Mart paintings. To me this was a "RIP OFF ART CLASS." :)

I don't think it's plagiarism where Patsy's painting is concerned. It's done all the time up here. Heavens above, if a teacher has 20 students painting the same painting, they will maybe look the same, but everyone paints in a different way, short of the experts who can copy the Masters. I have a friend who paints the Degas ballerina's. He has them on his wall with his own signature. I guess the cops can come around the Niagara area and rope them all in. Not a thing they can do about it here.

If you try and sell it with another artist's name on it - different story!

Thank you for the Betty Morris Hamilton site, Jay. I'll enjoy looking at this art.

I thought as I looked at RiverRat's post that they had the look of a Pastel. It is! I did have a class on that but never took to the Pastels, preferring the flow of the paint, but these are lovely. I don't haul out all the heavy paints
    and easel any more. Those watercolour pencils are great, and a flat table in the garden suits me just fine. :)

Thoroughly enjoyed myself here today, Jay and RiverRat, thank you!

3. Elle

Elle Member

I was looking for this information myself, Paradox. I lost the url which had a large amount of the Charlevoix paintings. I have had no succes in finding more of Patsy's paintings. Maybe someone else might come across it.

Not in great depth if that's what you're asking. Those classes bored the socks off me. I prefer to do my own thing. I did go for art sessions for 10 winters here in Canada, as well as joining an art club. It passed the time for me when my engineering husband was working and had to travel a lot. I'm no expert by any means.

4. Elle

Elle Member

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Elle_1
    We all know how this turned out, don't we? :)
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

What do you mean here?
    Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Elle_1
    I enjoyed that movie, Paradox.
    Just reading this makes me want to see it again. Must look for the DVD in the "on sale" box.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

That I enjoyed seeing the movie "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" (?). I want to see it again!

How one of Miss Brodies' students ends up making love to Miss Brodie's boyfriend, the art teacher - right?

5. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Well, there are great masters of painting who did copies of other masters that are shown in national galleries today. I actually have a poster of one that was a copy of another master. It kinda' surprised me at the time, but the artist who managed that feat...we're talking early last century copy...was so good, his own technique made the copy so valuable. I'll see if I can find it to specify.

Having said that, Patsy was clearly no master. But I remember wondering about it when reading about her final spurt of artistic activity while sitting in her father's home those last months, where her work was described as paintings of landmarks she loved, like the Charlevoix lake, etc. It's unusual for someone to paint landscapes from memory. Not impossible, but it does take a special talent of recall to do so effectively. I also thought that the painting in question had a Hallmark card kind of quality and wondered if Patsy was painting from a picture, especially when Elle brought it up. Now I'd be interested in finding out about the other works Patsy did.

But if people want to buy Patsy spitting on a canvas, I wouldn't be surprised, so exaggerated has her self-sponsored mythology become among the true believers.

I do think that the original artist sounds like a very kind and generous woman with a touching spirit. It shows in her art.

(Thanks for sharing this, RiverRat. hahaha We'll never escape, will we?)

6. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

No comment?

7. YumYum012

YumYum012 Member

I think it IS plagiarism if The Patsy tried to pass the copy off as her own work. I look at it like this: If I write down a passage from Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet for my own personal use, then there's no harm done. However, if I then display that handwritten copy at an art gallery, under MY signature, and with no credit to Kahlil Gibran, then it IS plagiarism. And juddging by what we know of this instance, that's exactly what Patsy did.

It should be pointed out that Patsy had tweaked the passage from The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie for use in the Miss America pageant. According to McLean (I think), she basically kept the essential nature of the original passage intact ... but changed names, places, and other aspects. I suggest that her "re-work" may well have been plagiarism as well.

...YumYum

8. Jayelles

Not Tricia Romance? I have 4/5 of her limited edition prints. I love her work.

I do think there is a distinction drawn with regard to intellectual property. 20 artists painting a bowl of fruit would hardly score high on originality.

Note that plagiarism covers "parts" or works too. Rainsong seems to think that Patsy's copying is OK since she missed out the little sailboats in the background ROFL Why am I not surprised?

9. Elle

Elle Member

Jay,
    I think the Charlevoix Exhibition must have known Patsy's painting was created from Hamilton's original, and they should have given credit to the original artist's work. I'm wondering if Patsy used acrylics or Pastel's for her effort (?). If anything, the organizers of the Exhibition are at fault.

10. Jayelles

We don't know for sure whether she credited Ms Harrison or not. according to jameson, there was to be a brochure (or was it a website?) for Patsy's work. My guess is that even if she DIDN'T credit Ms Harrison for the inspiration, the foundation will now. Just like the cheque to the mackinack (sp) Island children's camp which Tricia exposed.

11. Paradox

Paradox Banned for Stupidity by RiverRat

It should be pointed out that Patsy had tweaked the passage from The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie for use in the Miss America pageant. According to McLean (I think), she basically kept the essential nature of the original passage intact ... but changed names, places, and other aspects. I suggest that her "re-work" may well have been plagiarism as well.

Nice observation. The soliloquies and the painting in question are interpretations of someone else's work. The ransom note is eclectic, a bunch of words and phrases from books, movies and from people Patsy knew.

I have seen one of her paintings (still life with flowers on kitchen counter near window) that I was impressed with. I have also seen a modernist/ abstract self portrait that was worthy as well.

I was surprised at the quality, I expected things like the copy.

12. Elle

Elle Member

I think the painting you're speaking of Paradox wasn't one of Patsy's. Sounds like the one that was on Ruthee's website. Quite a few people made this mistake because Ruthee was discussing Patsy's paintings. Was it this one? If so, it isn't Patsy's. KK confirmed this in another thread. I was looking for it, but if KK spots this, she can fill you in. This one seemed overcrowded to me with the two vases of flowers etc.,

Patsy couldn't use the speech from "The Prime of Miss Jean BRodie" in the talent competition, because of a copyright issue, and had to create another speech, which she did with the help of a friend, and she won for a speech on "Copyright." :)

Attached Files:

13. Elle

Elle Member

You mean Betty Morris Hamilton? I was just thinking, Jay, this artist resides in Alabama, therefore maybe she is unknown by the Charlevoix Art Exhibition. As for Patsy's other work, I just can't find any more on the net. We will both post it if we fall over it - right? :)

14. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

This is a jaw dropper. Honest to pete.

My question is would Patsy or the gallery showing her art give credit to the actual person who painted this if it hadn't been exposed by the Denver Post.

Someone in Patsy's artworld had to know she copied this painting.

Did she truly try and pass it off as her own? That's exactly what it looks like.

Even from the beyond Patsy is stirring things up.

15. Jayelles

It IS her own painting - but she appears to have copied another artist's work. The artist is a Christian woman who doesn't appear to be terribly upset by this. However, I think a lot depends on whether Patsy has been open about "copying" or whether she represented it as her own intellectual property.

The artist may not be too bothered and disinterested in taking any action against sales of Patsy's work but she may change her mind if sales of her own prints drop off (it is supposed to be a best seller for her). Also, if she is seen to openly disregard copying of her work, she may be unwittingly inviting others to do likewise.

16. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

Hi Jayelles,

By the phrase, "passing it off as her own" I meant did Patsy claim this was an orginal piece of artwork from her own creative mind.

If the reproductions are being sold as a "Patsy original" then there could be trouble.

These people are so arrogant it is disgusting.

17. Jayelles

I honestly don't know. However, I think that even if it wasn't acknowledged as a copy "before", in true Ramsey tradition (LKL interview - your call - cheque for children's camp) ... it will be from now on!

I'd love to know if it was described as a copy or not.

18. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

OK, I spent hours looking for the two paintings I mentioned from masters, but I could only find the first one, Dance, by Matisse, and the other one I can't find, so I'm done. It was a stupid point anyhow. :rolleyes:

I was under the impression that Patsy did not "show" at a gallery, but that she had a "booth" at a festival in Charlevoix where they hung her art and put it on view for sale. You know, like there might have been one beside hers that sold macrame art, and another that sold blown glass, and another that sold stained glass, and another that sold metal art or jewelry, that kind of art display for sale. I could be wrong, but that was my impression.

Here are a couple of links to the other threads we had going on this topic. The first has the abstract Patsy was showing on that TV show, RR posted it on the first page of this link:

http://www.forumsforjustice.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6988

And here you were questioning the "children on the beach" painting, Elle, as well:

http://www.forumsforjustice.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6942&page=5&pp=12

I have to hand it to you, Elle, YOU SPOTTED IT AND YOU NAILED IT!

Elle

you are

:rrcrown:

GUTTAH QUEEN FOR A DAY!

19. Jayelles

You are quite right KK. Here is the link to the Festival and it's tent booths:-

http://www.michigan.org/travel/even...-FB7E-4761-8FD1-C8B5740C6B18&city=G2906&m=3;0

20. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

I have been inspired!

I am such an original........ :idea:

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice