Ramsey Case Misinformation

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Jayelles, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

"Holy Grail" came out in 1975. You were probably still in nappies. :baby: :D

2. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

No WAY - did it? Good Grief. I wouldn have put it in the 80s. I remember us gathered round the fire as a family to watch Monty Python and my brother tooting the theme tune at the top of his voice and doing a really loud raspberry at the end. I would try to be invisible because my mother thought it was unsuitable for me to watch and if she remembered, she would send me to bed. All those naked women getting their heads opened up....

3. Elle

Elle Member

Okay, then lets assume he's a he. You're right about the Monty Python thing.
    I can't stand the man. :) I never watched that show. I believe Prince Charles loved it.

4. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Elle, Monty Python wasn't a man. (Are you thinking of Benny Hill?) Monty Python was a comedy troupe composed of six men. John Cleese was one of them.

5. YumYum012

YumYum012 Member

John Cleese was one of the Pythons. He was also Basil Fawlty in the FUNNIEST TV comedy ever made ... Fawlty Towers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...YumYum

6. Thor

Thor Active Member

I love Monty Python and John Cleese is hilarious!

7. Zotto

Zotto FFJ Senior Member

Oh how right you are Yum Yum

I have watched every episode of Fawlty Towers literally over 50 times each...and I still laugh until I cry at each one. There has never been a comedy to touch it in my opinion and it's amazing that there were only 12 or 13 episodes made I think.

8. Jayelles

Prince Charles is a big fan of the Goons - Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers, Harry Secombe and Michael Bentine.

I think Elle is thinking of Spike Milligan. None of the Goons were involved in Monty Python - that ws John Cleese, Michael Palin, Eric Idle etc.

John Cleese went on to do Fawlty Towers, Fish called Wanda and he makes training films for business.

Michael Palin is best known for his travelogues - he re-enacted Phineas Fogg's trip "Around the World in 80 days" which was wonderful and he's done the Himalyas too. I love his films.

Eric Idle is still in Comedy and he was involved in "one Foot in the Grave" - somhow. I know he sang the signature tune and he's made a cameo appearance but I think he might also have been involved in the production of it.

Comic genuises - but ahead of their time. Incidentally, John Cleese is an enormous bore in real life. I cannot stand the man!

9. Elle

Elle Member

Help me, help me. I'm thinking of an English actor whose eyes stood out from his head. :) I think I know the show you're talking about. I didn't like it, but I
    like Benny Hill. He was hilarious! I liked John Cleese in Fawlty Towers, with Prunella Scales.

10. Elle

Elle Member

I missed the page with yum yums' photo of Fawlty Towers. I loved that show.

I can't remember this English actor, Jay. Great big eyes, a bit baldy.
    Yes, it was the Goon Show Prince Charles liked. You must have been in nappies right enough. :)

11. Jayelles

You are thinking on Marty Feldman Elle! I thought some of his stuff was hilarious - my favourite sketch was "Lightning Tours".

12. Elle

Elle Member

That's the guy! ECH! Thank you, Jay, :) Benny Hill was much more fun for me.
    I also liked Peter Sellers, Harry Secombe and Michael Bentine. I also liked Michael Palin's travelogues.

I like Rosemary and Thyme. We have all the British Crime shows here in Canada. They're great!

13. Why_Nut

Why_Nut FFJ Senior Member

For the record, I am a fan of both the Goons and Monty Python, and can verify that, at least in the 1970's and 80's in NY, I rarely met any female fans of Python, and never of the Goons. Also for the record, Bluebottle is my favorite character, for whatever that says about me.

Waits for applause, not a sausage.

14. Jayelles

Thank you! Then you'll know where I'm coming from :)

The Goons were before my time although I can do a reasonable party-piece of "They're coming to take me away haha" - complete with crossed eyes and tics...

Monty Pythons Big Red Papperbok.

I think Spoke Milligan was hilarious if obnoxious at other times.

15. Why_Nut

Spike had issues. I have to bow in respect to his grave marker, though, which is perfect. (For those who do not know, this comedian had his stone marked "I told you I was ill.")

I am old enough to have "The Brand New Monty Python Bok" and "Monty Python's Big Red Book," both bought when they were new in the shops. In 1975, it was a privilege and an honor to be present when they showed up for the opening of Holy Grail at one of the movie theaters on the Upper East Side, right by Bloomingdales where you just were, Jayelles.

Holy smokes, zipping around the internet has revealed to me a site that is posting excerpts from Spike's private tapes, in which he comments on Python. "Monty Python's Flying Circus is sensational. That's really English. You can tell it's good because the f*cking Americans are baffled by it. They don't think it's funny. 'Black comedy, that's black comedy, isn't it?' 'Yeah!' It means they don't understand it."

16. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Not our fault. They forgot to use subtitles.

17. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

Subtitles! That's a good one!

Jay, I figured that story was bs.

"I've been a Python fan since "MP & the Holy Grail" came out back in the 70s. I know other American females who are die-hard fans, including one of my best friends and my daughter."

Some can't tell!

"Oh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay!

I sleep all night, I work all day!

I cut down trees, I wear high heels, suspenders and a bra!

I wish I'd been a girly, just like my dear Mama!"

18. Why_Nut

This is where being a Goon fan helped, since I was already primed to understand the accents. :)

Edited to add: He had a point, though. There was a period of time when people would look at British films and automatically assign the category of "black comedy" to entertainment that, nowadays, we would think of as simply comedy from Britain.

19. Jayelles

Ah - so it was a Python bok and not a papperbok? My friend's brother had it and I thought it was a red papperbok :) I could only have been 10 or 11 at the time.

The lumberjack song was good. Some Australian Insurance Company called Sheila's Wheels are doing an Advertisement just now which is slightly reminiscent of the lumberjack son.

I also emember laughing hysterically at the sketch with the firemen and the shoes.

20. Jayelles

Airplane is one of the funniest films I've ever seen. I remember when it came out in cinemas here and there were people in the audience who were literally hysterical. I had to watch it several times to catch everything. I also loved the Police Academy films - especially the Blue Oyster CLub scenes - the music and timing were just perfect.

I heard that the makers of Airplane had difficulty getting someone to take it on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice