Ramsey Case Misinformation

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Jayelles, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

For Why_Nut,

As a fellow New Yorker, if you haven't already, make a point to see Spamalot.
    It was great!!

For all,
    I too, have always been a big Monty Python fan as well as most British comedies. I own the set of Fawlty Towers, despite there being only a limited amount of episodes. It's difficult to tire of them. I also enjoyed the special done with John Cleese (a personal favorite), the name of which I cannot for the life of me remember, but he spoofed Sherlock Holmes and it was really funny.

Not really a comedy, but there was a series that I was absolutely addicted to that was British called Butterflies. Just loved it!

I also own the Airplane series as well as the entire Naked Gun series. Leslie Neilson is also one of my favorites. The Top Secret movies, if you haven't seen them are worth watching. I highly recommend them

Anyone remember the other comedy I watched for a long time, but can't remember the name? It was very funny, British, and it entailed a group of co workers in a department store, one more comical than the next, naturally always in some sort of predicament, but the characters were done to perfection

Oh the good old 70s and 80s

2. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Are you being served?

My husband recently bought me series 1-4 of "Keeping Up Appearances" which I had never watched! I worked my way though them and thoroughly enjoyed them. Poor Richard!

3. Why_Nut

Why_Nut FFJ Senior Member

I bought tickets the day they went on sale (and got to see the wenches and knights who were entertaining the people lined up waiting for the box office to open) and attended one of the preview performances. It was excellent. I always liked Hank Azaria as a voice artist, but never had any idea he could dance so well.

Looove is like a buuuutterfly... That was also an excellent series. I have no understanding of why it does not get rerun on the PBS stations as often as As Time Goes By does.

Jayelles gave you the heads-up on that one, it is Are You Being Served? A choice item in my vinyl record collection is John Inman singing in character a song about himself. "Are you being served, sir / I'm Humphries, and I'm free / Are you being served, sir? / There's no one here but me."

Probing for further memories:

The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin
    Yes, Minister
    Yes, Prime Minister
    Doctor in the House
    The Goodies (do, do, do, the Funky Gibbon)

4. Jayelles

I wouldn't own up to that John INman record if I were you....Not if you want to have any street cred in the UK...

In case you are interested, Graeme Garden kind of evaporated, Tim-Brooke Taylor went into serious acting and Bill Oddie is a much loved ornithologist now with his own long running series about twitching.

I never watched any of the Minister series or the Doctor programme. I saw Reggie Perrin on the reruns.

Best Brit comedy IMO is One Foot in the Grave, Vicar of Dibley, The Royle Family, Have I got News for You?, Still Game, Naked Video, Chewing the fat....., The Office, Little Britain...

5. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

I used to watch Reginald Perrin, but not the others. If I ever see them on, I will try to catch them.

Now, what was the name of the comedy movie/special that John Cleese did spoofing Sherlock Holmes as well as McCloud? Very funny stuff, but can't remember the name, nor do I ever see it on TV. Okay, now I'm gonna go nuts but I am making a phone call to see if my daughter remembers the name.

GOT IT!

The Strange Case of the End of Civilization as We Know It.

Funny movie

6. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

If I didn't live clear across the country, I'd have been at the first public showing of Spamalot. I hope I can get to New York before it closes.

Ah, a woman after me own heart. It's nice to hear that another American FEMALE has been a long-time Monty Python fan. Take THAT, Jay and Why_Nut! :fishslap:

I see you've already been given the name of the comedy,"Are You Being Served?" ... but I just had to say it's one of my favorites as well. In fact, I recently got the first seven seasons on DVD. I also have all of the "Fawlty Towers" episodes on DVD.

Jay sent me a Scottish comedy called "The Steamie" that was very funny, but everyone in my family had trouble understanding the urban accent of some of the women. Part of it was because they talked so fast and part of it was the slang we don't know. I showed it to Zotto when she was here, and although she deals with Scottish people in Australia and watches Scottish TV shows all the time, even SHE had trouble understanding the city dialect. But I love the irony of the Scottish sense of humor and laughed and laughed at the parts I did understand. I just needed Jay sitting next to me to be an interpreter every now and then. :)

7. Elle

Elle Member

It's not every Scot who likes English humour, Why_Nut. It's totally different from our Scottish humour.

I must admit Benny Hill won me over. We spent some time in England, and my husband and youngest son watched Coronation Street every week. I didn't. They are still watching it here, in Canada. :)

To each his own. :) So far, Jay has named all English Comedians, :-/ (?).

8. Elle

Elle Member

I think it's the same wherever you go when you come across a different accent. Unless you spend a lot of time with the people from different countries, it's hard to understand them. I had trouble with the Aussie accent, when I was there. I have trouble with English accents, depending on which part of England they come from. I also have trouble with American accents, and LOL even Scottish accents if they come from Ayrshire.

My husband comes from Perthshire, and he understood a lot of the old Scottish words being used in Ayrshire (Robert Burns' country), when we were there on an assignment, and he translated for me, and I'm from Glasgow. :) You will definitely need an interpreter for the Glasgow slang. In Scotland as you travel through the small villages, the accents change. Here in Canada, the kids all talk too fast, and it's hard to understand them. :)

9. Elle

Elle Member

Barbara

Barbara,

Are You Being Served. Yes. Have seen that one. Wasn't my favourite. My favourite one was with Judi Dench and Geoffrey Chalmer in "As Time Goes By"
    This was a good Series.

10. Jayelles

No Elle - Still Game, Chewin the Fat and Naked VIdeo are all Scottish! Naked Video led to the spin off "Rab C Nesbitt" - who would fit right into this forum because he is self-proclaimed "Scum". When they show it in England, it has sub-titles!

11. Jayelles

Our Tootsie and I say a poem together every single night at bedtime called Cuddle Doon. Do you know that one Elle?

Sometimes she makes me sing it and as it's not a song, I have to make up the tune - so that's interesting :)

12. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

I forgot to mention "The Steamie" was set in a Glasgow tenement laundry house so they were definitely using Glasgow slang.

I think it's interesting you find the American accent hard to understand, because to me, it is so much like the Canadian accent ... except for the Candadian "a-boot" and "a-gane" vs. the American "about" and "again." Of course, that's using the Mid-western or broadcasting American accent. If you were in the Deep South or in Maine or Massachusetts, some of the changes in the vowels and a few of the consonants can be very noticible.

13. Jayelles

Do Canadians have "meers" in their homes? }>

14. Why_Nut

Why_Nut FFJ Senior Member

*choking with laughter* :rolling:

15. Jayelles

Do you have a meer WN? o:)

BTW - I had a great time in your city. Except for the fact that our plane got hit by lightning on the descent into La Guardia. It was a very bumpy ride. Still, the thunder storm apparently cleared the air and it wasn't too hot for us when we were there. We didn't get to the botanical gardens because a 10 hour delay meant we lost the Saturday and we'd booked stuff for the Sunday and Monday.

We stayed in the Sheraton Towers on/near Broadway and enjoyed the street market right outside on the Sunday! That was such an unexpected sight in New York. We also had another lovely meal in the Tavern on the Green restaurant - pink champagne and line dancing.

Tell me something if you can - I wanted to buy some supermarket tabloids and we walked down the street next to the hotel (is it 51st? or 53rd?). Just a block down that road there is a building with a fountain/sculpture outside and there is a bistro type place just next to the fountain with a book/magazine shop next door. Well, I couldn't find a way in to the shop to buy these supermarket tabloids. - the entrance seemed to be at the back of the shop as though via a mall. So I went through a nearby revolving door where there were barriers just on the inside and sure enough, if I could get through the barriers, I would ge able to get into the shop. However, a security guard told me I would need to go around to another entrance and "register" before I could enter the shop. I asked "Is this a hotel?" and the guard laughed and said no. It wasn't a mall either and I didn't bother, but I was very confused as to why I would need to register in order to buy some magazines.

Can you shed any light?

16. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Sooooooooooo, basically Tricia, I would take this thread as a huge NO. There is nothing you have missed as far as Mary Keenan performing her duties.

RR

17. Jayelles

Oh my :)

18. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Hey - I started it with the Smiling Bob BS, so don't take it personally.

RR

19. Jayelles

What's a smiling Bob?

20. Elle

Elle Member

Rab Nesbitt Hahahahahahaha! I've seen him in a few episodes of a series Jim made me watch. He sits in his undershirt, unshaved. I laughed myhead off at that one, and his tarty wife. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice