Ramsey Case Misinformation

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Jayelles, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Is that supposed to be a slam at American pronunciation, my wee guttah-wench? I am absolutely SHOCKED you've sunk to such a low level in this high-brown discussion.

I have no idea if Canadians have "meers" or not, but NONE of the Americans I know have them. However, we DO have "mir-rers" - both syllables intact, thank you very much. :bigstick:

2. Elle

Elle Member

I think there's a big difference between the American and Canadian accent. The Canadians think this themselves.

I think it's a personal thing anyway. When I lived in England I got used to the English accents in the area I was in, Middllesex. It just takes me time to get used to the accent, but if they speak fast, I'm sunk.

There are many different American accents. I lived in Corpus Christi, and Connecticut. I understood some of them, but not all of them. I think it's a question of people not slowing down enough to be understood by the person from a different country. I have met many Americans, because my husband worked for an American Company, and the American staff were with us in England and Scotland. After two years, they knew what we were all about.:) They liked our accents. We liked theirs.:) My husband who worked with them understood them a lot better, of course.

3. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Yeah, "subtitles" was a good one. I'm shocked that no one heard the interview when one of those Python guys, maybe the one who died--I'm terrible with names, cracked wise and said they were thinking about making a movie with subtitles for Americans. I think it was an insult.... :computer:

I once showed The Holy Grail to a summer school English class. They could barely speak English and they loved it.

RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY!

I love British films, TV, and especially, period theatre and film. It's the subtlety that is alien to our country. Not to mention, oh, those accents...and those men.... that dry wit. siiiigh Even the grumpy eccentrics. I have English ancestors, so I guess it's something in my genetics.

4. koldkase

Yeah, I'm so insulted! I'm goin to take my step-ins over yonder and y'all will miss me whin I'm gawn.

5. Elle

Elle Member

Jay,

That's a nice mother/daughter time. :) Does Tootsie understand all those old Scottish words?

I didn't understand the following words. You can save me time looking them up, and give me an explanation for them, please. I'm going to copy Cuddle Doon and e-mail it to my Jim. Yes, we live in the same house and we sometimes e-mail each other.:) He might know it (?). :) Let's see!

waukrife
    awee
    weanies
    steeks
    shoon
    straik
    croon
    warl’s cark
    quaten
    aboon
    pows

6. Cherokee

Well, I'm only basing my opinion on the few Canadians I've met. I couldn't really tell they weren't Americans until they told me. (I just thought they were from "up north" somewhere.) Zotto tells me Australians have a hard time distinguishing between the American and Canadian accent as well.

That's very true.

I absolutely love Scottish, British and Aussie accents. I could listen to them all day long and then some. :)

7. Cherokee

You and your step-ins stop right there, missy! You're not going anywhere!

I've spent half a day trying to keep Jay and her knickers from taking over the place, and now it's YOUR turn for sentry duty. I'd better not come back here tomorrow and find this place covered in PANTALOONS and other nonsense.

You just can't keep a decent Guttah these days. Sheesh.

8. Elle

Elle Member

Now and again, a Scottish movie will be shown here with subtitles, and there are many Scots living in Canada. :) Honestly KK. there are just so many accents around, that sometimes we need the sub titles. Hahahaha!

9. JustChillun

JustChillun Member

I have always been a Python fan. I just wonder...are any of you Scotsmen (or women) of the ticking sort?
    :monty:

10. koldkase

OK, then. I think I can sink to the occasion! How's this?

:booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty:​

panties panties panties

PANTY PANTY PANTY

:booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty:​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11. Elle

Elle Member

I like the Australian accents. My teenage granddaughter has to slow down. She has an Aussie accent, but her brother is still Canadian. :) My son works for an American Company, and he has been out there for 14 years now. He loves Australia. We were almost there ourselves. I loved Perth. I'll be seeing my son next weekend. He's up in French River in Canada right now.

It's the same in Scotland, they don't know the difference between Canadians and Americans either, unless they wear uniforms. :) During WWII The American soldiers wore uniforms like our British Officers. The British soldiers had to wear rough khaki, So did the Canadians. :) One of my older sisters was a G.I. Bride. Married an M.P. from Connecticut. There were a lot of G.I. Brides.

I lived in Ottawa for a spell, and I could swear I was hearing a slight Irish touch with someone I was talking to. Turns out, many Irish people settled in the Ottawa Valley. I was quite pleased with myself for spotting it.:) Don't go by what I say, Cherokee. What the hell do I know? :) jmo. The different accents fascinate me.

I absolutely love Scottish, British and Aussie accents. I could listen to them all day long and then some. :)[/QUOTE]
    As long as we all get on well together, that's all that matters - right?

12. Elle

Elle Member

What does that mean, JustChillun? Good or bad? (?):-( Explain please, and then I will give you my answer. :rose: Peace:)

13. Elle

Elle Member

Proof of global warming :)<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

14. koldkase

Thank you, fellow guttah gossip panty scum! Chero will be so proud of us when she staggers in tomorrow! :toast:

15. Why_Nut

Why_Nut FFJ Senior Member

Based on your description, it sounds like you were trying to enter one of the office buildings in the area (since you were told it was not a hotel, it was not the Hilton that is right there). Many of them in Midtown do have newsstands and little shops to buy magazines, but they are meant for the people who work there and not the general public. By registering, it sounds like the guard was telling you that you had to sign in at the security desk before you could enter the building like a person who worked there would. I know I am used to this, getting into many office buildings in Midtown, and even other parts of the city, requires photo ID and often signing a book at the security desk.

You were right near my favorite movie theater in the entire metropolitan area, the Ziegfeld. The fountains/sculptures, did they look sort of like giant dandelions?

16. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Aw, you're looking for me to translate words????? Without looking them up for a direct translation, I would only manage a few:-

awee = away
    weanies = children
    shoon = shoes
    straik = stroke
    croon = forehead
    quaten = quieten
    aboon = above
    I think pows refers to the head
    warl = world
    warl's cark an care would be like worries of the world
    waukrife rogues is just a term for little rascals

It's in old Scots so we don't use many of the words now but it's a lovely poem which I learned in primary school for a Scots Poetry competition.

It's got a lovely rythm(sp) to it and there are lines which get whispered so Tootsie just loves it. I used to say it to her when she was just a wee thing and she astonished me one day by reciting a good bit of it herself. When I was in Philly last year, she was worried that no-one would be able to do Bairnies Cuddle Doon with her so I printed it off onto paper for her and since then, she's kept the printout stuck to the wall above her bed with white-tack for any visiting bedtime "tucker-inners"!

17. Jayelles

As long as we all get on well together, that's all that matters - right?[/QUOTE]

I can tell a Canadian if they say "about" = "aboot" but they don't all do that. My brother's partner has a strong Canadia accent and she "aboots" all the time but my nephews don't at all.

My favourite accent is Northern Ireland.

I can tell a Brooklyn accent - but that's all.

18. Jayelles

Yes it could have been an office block - but with it's own shop???? Oh my.

Were they dandelions? I took a photo so I'll see once they get developed. When I say fountain - the water didn't spout - it flowed. Tootsie was fascinated by it. She wanted to touch the moving water.

The thing about New York is that you get a stiff neck because you're constantly gazing upwards as you walk along the streets. The architecture is just amazing.

We'd forgotten how noisy NY was with the car horns sounding. That's something we seldom hear because it's an offence to sound your horn in a built-up area here.

ETA - I asked Tootsie about the sculture fountain and she says it was "like a person with no arms".

19. Why_Nut

Why_Nut FFJ Senior Member

Alrighty, then, it was not this one, which you were near.

[​IMG]

This is going to drive me around the bend now, figuring out where you were. Sleuthing! I will figure this out and account for your experience.

20. Jayelles

No - definitely not that one - I would have remembered that.

We had been to Brooke Brothers and it was on the same number street as the side entrance to Brooke Brothers - Sheraton Towers on the corner. It was either 51st street or 53rd Street. There was some kind of church on the opposite side of the road but that may have been further along (towards Brook Bros). Oh and there was a mall or sorts with an indoor garden which seemed to be little trees and some kind of greenery which grew at ground level nearby.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice