Ramseys Lose Suit Against FOX!

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by LurkerXIV, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

Woody appeal?....what part of the judges decision not allowing you to refile do you not understand?

2. JC

JC Superior Cool Member

Yes, not that I don't like horses LurkerXIV ...

3. Sabrina

Sabrina Member

Now Wood is saying he is "not surprised"?

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/city_news/article/0,1713,BDC_2422_3455531,00.html
    Judge dismisses Ramseys' Fox suit
    Tossed defamation claim family's first legal defeat

By Christine Reid, Camera Staff Writer
    January 8, 2005

A Denver district judge has dismissed a $16 million defamation lawsuit against the Fox News Network filed by the parents of slain Boulder 6-year-old JonBenet Ramsey.

John and Patsy Ramsey filed the suit over a story that aired Dec. 27, 2002, in which Denver-based reporter Carol McKinley said there has "never been any evidence to link an intruder to her brutal murder."

Advertisement

In the Ramseys' first legal defeat since their daughter's death, Denver District Judge Phillip S. Figa this week granted Fox News' motion to throw the suit out.

"Taking the broadcast as a whole, it did not hold up any member of the Ramsey family to public contempt or ridicule or accuse any of them of participating in the murder (of) their youngest family member," Figa wrote in his ruling.

He wrote that the Ramseys may have wanted "vindication" more than money, and may deserve it.

"But they have a better chance for meaningful vindication in the court of public opinion through vigorous debate about the background and details of this heinous crime than by suing those whose reporting may arguably include some less than favorable inferences about them," he wrote. "Plaintiffs cannot have the public discourse playing field entirely to themselves."

Ramsey attorney L. Lin Wood said he was disappointed by the ruling but not completely surprised.

"To me it is an unfortunate fact that the state of defamation law in this country has reached a level that is extremely difficult to have these cases decided by juries," Wood said. "I believe the jury would have had a different view if the judge hadn't decided the matter himself."

Since JonBenet's death, her family has filed nearly a dozen multimillion-dollar lawsuits alleging various publications wrongly blamed family members. Before the Fox lawsuit, all of them have been settled out of court.

"Obviously we're delighted with the ruling," Fox attorney Dori Ann Hanswirth said. "It's a great vindication for the news channel and for Carol McKinley."

JonBenet was found beaten and strangled in her parents' Boulder basement on Dec. 26, 1996. A grand jury investigation ended with no indictments, and no arrests have been made.

In 2003, a federal judge who dismissed a lawsuit against the Ramseys said there is considerable evidence showing that an intruder killed the child. Boulder County District Attorney Mary Keenan, whose office now heads the aging investigation, said she agreed with the judge's ruling.

Keenan said Friday that she was relieved by the Fox suit's dismissal because it freed her investigators from subpoenas by Fox attorneys to turn over documents from the voluminous case file.

"It really will save a lot of resources in our office," she said.

Contact Camera Staff Writer Christine Reid at (303) 473-1355 or reidc@dailycamera.com.

4. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Is "falsity" really a word?

5. Show Me

Woody can spew all the crap he wants, one only needs to read the Judge's decision. Shows me, hehehe, what a stupid lawyer Woody is. Sorry Candy your God/hero has feet of clay. Why don't you hook up with Geragos for awhile?

This is going to be a humongus turning point in the Rams career of suing for a living.

In fact, it read to me as if the Judge thought the Ramsey's suing career ridiculous and one sided!!!!

Read the above statement Keenan!!!!!!! Grow some balls and quite having Woody dictate Boulder DA policy and procedures!

6. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Falsity explained for BobC......

Found this in the dictionary.

Attached Files:

7. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Woody the Wimp

"To me it is an unfortunate fact that the state of defamation law in this country has reached a level that is extremely difficult to have these cases decided by juries," Wood said. "I believe the jury would have had a different view if the judge hadn't decided the matter himself."

And Wood would know this...HOW? He has never in his career taken a defamation case before a jury.

8. Aurora

Aurora Member

Poor Ramsey's

Now that their gravy train has ground to a halt....what will they do? Where will they go? If people are allowed to speak out their opinions against them without fear of retribution ...*gasp* it could mean more people will ask more questions and seek more answers that Ram's disprove of. FOX should make a documentary more slated to the facts and not worry about implicating the murderers ..for fear of a lawsuit! This ruling might just be what was needed to get the truth put out there beside Ramsey lies, so that the case may be solved and Ramsey's new home ...near Scott Peterson's.

9. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Aurora

It was great that the citizens of Northern Michigan decided to ask questions about the Ramseys before voting in the primary. What they found out led them to choose Elsenheimer over Ramsey, despite the fact that Ramsey had substantial financincial backing from some Fat Cats in Charlevoix.

I think John Ramsey's scamming days are over for good. :borgsmile

10. Aurora

Aurora Member

LurkerXIV

You know that day that I protested John running.... I will never forget his arrogance in coming so very late for his own rally and that smug look on his face when he did show. Before leaving the farce...I looked right at Patsy and told her YOU are good for it and YOU know it. You are guilty as hell. She looked down and turned away and didn't say a word. To put themselves out there and shield themselves from anyone that thinks they did it.. would have been an impossible feat. They have fooled a few people in Charlevoix but the sum of the evidence still leads right back to THEM! I am hoping this year will be the year that JonBenet gets her justice. Isn't Burke old enough to testify once he turns 18?

Ole Woody can retire now that his meal ticket has expired.

11. Show Me

Aurora...John and Patsy live in a delusional world where the 'majority of people think them innocent'.....which is of course, not true. They try to fool themselves into believeing their own innocence.

I'll bet old Pats and John are SHOCKED to find out, why they may win lawsuits on Burke's behalf, it's a different story when they are suing on their own behalf.

12. Aurora

Aurora Member

Show Me

Yes Ramsey's.. are in denial to be sure. They can surround themselves with supporters but eventually that circle will crumble as more and more people realize the truth as the circle closes in on THEM!

13. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

Show Me: "Woody appeal?....what part of the judges decision not allowing you to refile do you not understand?"

SM, an appeal is not a "refiling" of the case. As posted previously, the appellate court reviews the trial court's performance for reversible errors only. LW and the Ramsters are not prohibited from filing an appeal, but they cannot refile their complaint on the existing facts/foundation in trial court again.

Wood's latest public comment that he's not surprised at Judge Figa's ruling and that a jury would have decided more favorably to the Rams is typical lawyer-speak on losing. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.....

And notice, Mary Keenan's only relief was for the preservation of manpower and expense to her office in complying with document subpoenas, not for the integrity of any criminal investigation! What investigation????

"Keenan said Friday that she was relieved by the Fox suit's dismissal because it freed her investigators from subpoenas by Fox attorneys to turn over documents from the voluminous case file. 'It really will save a lot of resources in our office,' she said."

While all of this is great news for the right people, and convenience for all the wrong people, apparently CO is intent on keeping this case buried deeper than the child it's about.

I still have to ask, WHAT ABOUT JUSTICE FOR JONBENET?

14. Show Me

Sorry Deja Nu...I can't speak lawyerese and it's all greek to me anywho.

Let me put it this way.....neener, neener, neener. :genie:

15. Little

Little Member

All I can do is shake my head! IMO, the only thing the Ramseys have been doing since the morning of December 26, 1996 is interfere with the criminal investigation!!

16. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

"Lin Wood, the Atlanta lawyer representing the Ramseys, said he and his clients were contemplating an appeal. However, he said the family will first consider whether an appeal would interfere with the criminal investigation. 'There is no lawsuit so important they would let it interfere with the criminal investigation,' Wood said."

There is no statement more an exploitative, vain attempt to resurrect ruined reputations, Mr. Wood.

17. Show Me

This is hysterical!!!!

My tummy is hurting from laughing.....translated what Wood really means is: Hell no we are not filing an appeal after I spent alllllll that time and money on this case.

Losers!!!!!

18. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

" 'There is no lawsuit so important they would let it interfere with the criminal investigation,' Wood said."

Oh fercrissake, give me a break. What was the lawsuit that got tossed, practice? The fact that Keenan complained it would interfere with her (non-existent) criminal investigation didn't stop the Ramseys and their doggie Wood from filing this frivoulous lawsuit to begin with. What a stupid statement for him to make.

I know we all wanted this to go the distance, but many times, things happen for a good reason. Just the fact that it got tossed will cause the Ramseys and Wood great harm in their never-ending quest to manipulate courts and judges and walk all over the Constitution. Wood has already stepped on his own dick by making that assinine statement above.

Hey, Wood, you pompous, arrogant A$$ - :poke: :poke: :poke:

19. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

I'm with you, WY. These people are the scum of the earth.

20. Deja Nu

Deja Nu Banned

"Wood has already stepped on his own dick by making that assinine statement above."

WY, in imagining this, I prefer to think he has VERY short legs (and the balls of a brass monkey). :yes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice