Regarding jameson

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

Spelling

Elle, I didn't realise you were Scottish! Are you in the States now or still in the UK? Oh my. We could be related :) Do you realise that some posters get us mixed up as it is? Now they are going to be convinced we are the same person :p

Spelling is only a major thing in "English language" now. Most other teaching subjects don't penalise for incorrect spelling - i.e. we mark for content rather than presentation. Obviously, we encourage correct spelling, but pupils aren't marked down for incorrect spelling. The reasoning is that pupils shouldn't be discouraged from expressing themselves :)

My spelling is fine, but I'm a terrible typist. My mind and fingers operate at different speeds and I often hit the wrong key. I frequently spot errors after I post and don't correct them if I figure that it's pretty obvious what it's meant to be. I don't worry about what others think of my spelling to the point where I would end up having to edit every post I make.

So, we're not that hung up on spelling. IMO, anyone who reads a piece of text and is unable to get past a couple of typos is probably unlikely to be able to comprehend and evaluate a mountain of case information effectively. I would certainly doubt their ability to do so on the basis that they are easily distracted by trivia and are therefore unlikely to be able to see the wood for the trees.

I wouldn't point out a spelling error to another person UNLESS it mattered - i.e. if a colleague gave me a letter to read before sending it to someone important. Otherwise, I simply don't allow myself to be distracted by spelling or typing errors.

2. Elle

Elle Member

I'm in Canada!

Jayelles.

I was born in Scotland of Irish stock, hence the reason for the return to my roots a few years back. Both of us, my husband and I still have relations in Scotland.

Elle, I didn't realise you were Scottish! Are you in the States now or still in the UK? Oh my. We could be related :) Do you realise that some posters get us mixed up as it is? Now they are going to be convinced we are the same person :p

Jayelles, I hope you're okay with the mixup, I sure am, "to be mistaken for you," because I like the way you write. Rainsong (our friend) on CN2000 posted she couldn't tell the difference between Little's posts on CN2000 and mine. Little is of course, Peggy Lakin, author of "Journey Beyond Reason" and I was also chuffed with that one too, although Rainsong was being sarcastic in her usual style. I can assure you, there is a big AGE difference of about 20 years between Peggy and I, and I think you may well fall into the same "young" category. My first name is Ella, and Elle is just a nickname... I have met young Peggy. Lovely person! . :p

Spelling is only a major thing in "English language" now. Most other teaching subjects don't penalise for incorrect spelling - i.e. we mark for content rather than presentation. Obviously, we encourage correct spelling, but pupils aren't marked down for incorrect spelling. The reasoning is that pupils shouldn't be discouraged from expressing themselves :)

There has been a change! This makes more sense to me.

My spelling is fine, but I'm a terrible typist. My mind and fingers operate at different speeds and I often hit the wrong key. I frequently spot errors after I post and don't correct them if I figure that it's pretty obvious what it's meant to be. I don't worry about what others think of my spelling to the point where I would end up having to edit every post I make.

I think this is where "Don't sweat the small stuff "comes into play over this side of the waters. I think you have the right attitude.

So, we're not that hung up on spelling. IMO, anyone who reads a piece of text and is unable to get past a couple of typos is probably unlikely to be able to comprehend and evaluate a mountain of case information effectively. I would certainly doubt their ability to do so on the basis that they are easily distracted by trivia and are therefore unlikely to be able to see the wood for the trees.

You say that just the way a teacher would! :)

I wouldn't point out a spelling error to another person UNLESS it mattered - i.e. if a colleague gave me a letter to read before sending it to someone important. Otherwise, I simply don't allow myself to be distracted by spelling or typing errors.

On this good advice, I'll end my post. I ended up as a shorthand/dictaphone typist. In Canada this comes under the heading of "Secretary" ... and I did have to be careful about spelling. :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice