So I bought a copy of "Mind Hunter"

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by heymom, Jul 11, 2007.

1. AMES

AMES Member

I totally agree with your last sentence. And btw..I have officially taken you off of my ignore list. :rose: Truce???

2. AMES

AMES Member

Thanks. Don't you just hate it when you post what you think is significant...and some IDI's STILL can't see the writing on the wall?

3. Cranberry

Cranberry Member

Thank you for posting the excerpts heymom. These truths pre murder are the same post murder.

I think the catalog of books are kept locked down because it is powerful evidence. As far as relevance, I think hidden books reveal more about a person than ones left out on the nightstand.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  4. Paradox

Paradox Banned for Stupidity by RiverRat

Patsy's vehicle to Victory! in the pageants was literature. Reading and writing were her vehicles to Victory! in graduating college. She was a noted letter writer. The pathway to understanding this case lies in the books and movies in that house.

Patsy's over the top attempts at presenting her social persona mask a dark side that she had even less ability to moderate, imo. That dark side would be represented by books that may not be hidden although I suspect some were.

They mention Thomas Harris' Silence of the Lambs and say Douglas was their favorite profiler. I've read Harris' books and dozens of other crime novels and true crime books but never managed to pick up a favorite profiler. They were into it (crime) big time. Spark's works are dark comedies, full of crime.

As long as the mythic intruder lives the evidence locker will be closed, even when John dies, as the case will be forever ongoing. Too bad because Foster knows something of the books in the library.

I now add A Streetcar Named Desire to my Ramsey movie list. There's a scene where Blanche calls western union in a psychotic attempt at warning and appeal for rescue. Stanley interrupts her, she runs away, Stanley picks up the phone and says "Blanche, you left the phone off the hook!" Blanche is a classic borderline.

A catalog of titles would be nice, but a physical inspection of the books for dog ears would be even better. But the BPD was busy chasing wild geese.

5. AMES

AMES Member

Yes, it would have been better...too bad the BPD didn't think of that. They were too busy photographing things like, JB's backpack, her Easter Basket... and a kleenex box on the table....along with other meaningless stuff.

6. AMES

AMES Member

Just wanted to let you know that I posted them over at WBS, with credit to you...of course.....and got alot of responses. Do you have anymore transcribed passages that you could add?? The ones that you posted, sure were interesting!!!!!!!!

7. heymom

heymom Member

Well, I didn't really mark anything else that I thought was relevant to JonBenet's death...The book is 383 1/3 pages long, and full of Douglas bragging about how smart he is, and how clever he was, etc. etc. ad nauseum. When he finally gets down to talking about the cases, there is a lot of side information about his buddies in the FBI, personal stuff, etc. And most of the book is really about serial killers, so it's not directly applicable to this case.

I was trying to be selective and only flag the stuff I thought that John and Patsy might have used, either consciously or unconsciously, in the staging of JonBenet's body. I think John was reading this book and may have referred to what he read as he staged the crime and thought about how to mess up the crime scene for Boulder police. That's all.

I'll take another look, and if I find anything else, I'll post it. Glad the Websleuthers got something out of the passages!

8. Tez

Tez Member

I guess I better hope (once again) that no one in my immediate family dies under any suspicious circumstances, because I'd be the prime suspect based on the books that are in my personal library. And if LE searched my computer, they would find all kinds of true crime stuff I have read on the Internet.

I agree that the idea of staging more than likely came from "Mind Hunter," but I don't think "Mind Hunter" is the reason JBR was murdered.

9. Cranberry

Cranberry Member

I read alot of crime books too. I think in the interviews Patsy said she read magazines like Southern Living and after the murder of JonBenet she was into a priest book series from Stine.

Here it is Thank you ACandyRose:

1 PATSY RAMSEY: No. I don't know. I can't

2 remember that.

3 TOM HANEY: What kind of reading did you do?

4 Are you a Tom Clancey, Steven King?

5 PATSY RAMSEY: No.

6 TOM HANEY: What kind of books?

7 PATSY RAMSEY: To tell you the truth, I don't

8 know that I read all that much. I mean, I read a lot

9 of magazines and that kind of thing. I read the

10 Mitsford (phonetic) books, but I think that was after

11 Susan Stine got me those.

12 TOM HANEY: What is that?

13 PATSY RAMSEY: It is a series of books about

14 a small town priest and they are just really sweet. It

15 is hard to find a book that doesn't have something to

16 do with murder or something like that, you know. These

17 were very nice.

18 TOM HANEY: And that is what you prefer now.

19 PATSY RAMSEY: Yeah.

20 TOM HANEY: You said you read a lot of

21 magazines, what?

22 PATSY RAMSEY: Southern Living, Southern

23 Accent kind of stuff, decorating kind of.

24 TOM HANEY: Anything else? Did you have

25 regular subscriptions to those?

1 PATSY RAMSEY: No. John got flying

2 magazines.

10. Paradox

The bio channel had a piece titled "Uncoverd" yesterday about movies and copycat murder. It's quite clear that movies have an influence on killers, they say as much.

The process that leads to murder begins with some type of maladaptation in the personality and or social interaction that creates an outer and or inner disconnection that leaves a person prefering fantasy to reality. The movies and literature fuel the fantasy rather than spawning it.

Patsy exhibited symptoms of personality maladaptation, John did not.

11. Paradox

7 PATSY RAMSEY: To tell you the truth, I don't

8 know that I read all that much. I mean, I read a lot

9 of magazines and that kind of thing.

She couldn't keep track of the intrusive split off persona that did the reading.

It

15 is hard to find a book that doesn't have something to

16 do with murder or something like that, you know.

Which means she had read books with murder in them. Sensitive subject after JB's death, but what about before? She typically over-downplays herself, just magazines, right.

12. Cranberry

Cranberry Member

"That's what you prefer now."
    "Yeah"

Here's the series:

Amazon.com
    Welcome to Mitford, North Carolina, the small mountain town at the center of Jan Karon's bestselling novels about rector Father Tim and the heartwarming cast of characters surrounding him. This boxed set includes paperback editions of the first four books in the series: At Home in Mitford, A Light in the Window, These High, Green Hills, and Out to Canaan. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this

13. Paradox

Thanks Cranberry, I've got one on hold from the library. I'm anticipating some kind of pulpit fiction.

14. heymom

heymom Member

:floor: "Pulpit fiction!"

15. Pearlsim

Pearlsim FFJ Senior Member

The Mitford series is a wonderful set of books. It details the life of a kindly Episcopalian minister in a small town in South Carolina...or was it North, Carolina?

I own and have read the series numerous times. It's kind of like looking in on the town and characters of a place like Mayberry USA. I used to refer to the time I spent reading the books as my Calgon Take Me Away moments because everything about the setting, action and character sketches was so peaceful and comforting.

There really isn't a lot of preaching - unless you count stories of good moral people and their day to day lives as preaching.

Once again, I adore the books and I don't think you could find anything wrong with them if you tried.

It's my understanding that Patsy was given her first Mitford AFTER the death of JonBenet and, like me, found them to be an enjoyable easy read.

BTW- as an aside...Hallmark came out with a lot of Mitford related items a few years back...Christmas cards, ornaments, gift books and some of those collectible houses. You might be able to see them on Ebay. I loved Miss Sadie's house in the snow.

16. AMES

AMES Member

Yep, I agree. What gets me, is that Douglas is IDI when it comes to JB. I don't get it. :confused:

17. Cranberry

Cranberry Member

Thank you for the review Pearlsim. Amazon feedback gave the series good reviews also, all the way back to 1999.

18. heymom

heymom Member

He's been brainwashed by Ramsey power and money (and maybe threatened, either personally, or through lawyers). Everyone has a price, and John Ramsey found John Douglas' price.

:hypno:

19. Paradox

I don't think Douglas was bought off. I think he and Smit were swayed by the Ramsey's illusory presentation of themselves. I think Douglas and Smit were objective enough to look at the evidence and detect some intent in the murder. But they looked at the Ramseys, particularly Patsy, and could not connect the intent in the evidence with the only adults known to be in the home, ergo an adult outside the home did it.

Thomas was objective enough to see there was no evidence of an intruder but he could not see or connect the evidence of intent to Patsy, ergo the accident/cover-up theory.

Very few (moi) connect intent to Patsy.

20. heymom

heymom Member

I'm a little frightened, because what you say is making some sort of sense to me, Paradox. :) Maybe the elements of the crime just don't match up to the image in people's minds, but why shouldn't they? Criminals aren't always bad guys - sometimes they are nice people who go wrong, or nice people who snap, or, as you believe, nice people with more than one personality residing within them.

I think the staging threw everyone off. What parent could put a cord around their child's neck and choke off her air? What parent could poke the broken end of a paintbrush up inside her vagina? We want to believe it's not possible for parents to do these kinds of things.

I just read in today's paper where 2 parents in NC forced their 2 and 5-year-old children to snort crack. Parents can do all sorts of awful, unspeakable things, given the right (or wrong) circumstances.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice