The Doctor is IN!

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

RiverRat that is a great question. About the picture. It really gives me the creeps.

All great questions.

Sparky is nuts

Tricia

2. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Dr. Bea

Just curious here...have you explained to Tricia that she is Nuts but very loved and we couldn't start our days better than by reading her daily posts?

On a more serious note, how can a pediatrician not recognize the signs of sexual abuse when he has performed multiple visual examinations on a child's vaginal area purportedly due to problems stemming from bubble baths? Further, what kind of mother would allow continued use of such products once warned that they were causing irritations?

3. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

JonBenét Pageant Picture

It was requested that I post a few of these for Dr. Bea.

4. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

JonBenét Swimsuit Shot

One of the more controversial pictures on the forums.

5. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

JonBenét in stripes

Another pageant shot.

6. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

JonBenét Sideshow

Another pageant picture - closeup.

7. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

JonBenét as Marilyn

I believe this too is a pageant picture.

8. Tricia

JR THANK YOU! I wanted Dr. Bea to really understand why many of us are upset at how JonBenet was painted up to look so much older than she was.

I just got off the phone with Dr. Bea. She keeps very late hours. Past 12 midnight and she is still at the office. Anyway Dr. Bea has asked if we wouldn't mind waiting until Friday April 12th for her answers. She is swamped.

I told her no, she was fired. Then she reminded me that I can't fire her, we've known each other too long. Besides she is working for free she said. I caved and told her she could keep her job.

Anyway it looks like Friday afternoon during Dr. Bea's lunch she will be here to answer questions. So keep 'em coming.

Tricia

9. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Sheesh!

Some people. Dr. Bea couldn't even answer the short questions about you?

10. AK

AK Member

Forum winner!

How nice that Dr. Bea is offering her views. She writes very well.

RR, you crack me up! But I hope the doc does blow up your image of Patsy at the grave. In case Dr. Bea doesn't know, Patsy is accused of killing her child (whose grave that is; the photo was shot for a 5th anniversary news story) and a cause of death was strangulation.

Also, gang, if you've been reading the coverage of the accusations of molestation by priests, you may know that a schizophrenic woman in southern California has accused Cardinal Roger Mahoney of sexually abusing her 32 years ago. He's been in the news because of actions that have clearly covered up priest abuse and he's having to deal with that now, thanks to the press. But this woman's story lacks credibility. The comparison to the Ramsey "mystery woman" is enormous. With her studies of disassociative personalities, I'm betting Dr. Bea has seen this type of individual feeding off the press for attention.

11. fly

fly Member

keep it accurate, JR

JR - You posted:
    <i>On a more serious note, how can a pediatrician not recognize the signs of sexual abuse when he has performed multiple visual examinations on a child's vaginal area purportedly due to problems stemming from bubble baths? Further, what kind of mother would allow continued use of such products once warned that they were causing irritations?</i>

Just to keep the facts as accurate as possible for the good Dr....

There is no reported vaginal irritation except for chickenpox lesions after the one and only (4/94) warning concerning bubblebath. So suggesting PR continued to allow bubblebaths is not supported by any evidence.

Also for the good Dr's information:
    The "multiple" visual exams of the vaginal area were mostly done as part of her routine annual check-up. The exceptions were in 9/93 (early age 3) when she had serious irritation due to diarrhea, the 4/94 bladder infection-vaginitis-bubblebath visit, and the 1/95 chickenpox lesions visit. Also, the last visual exam of her genitals was probably in 8/96, the time of her last annual check-up - four months prior to her death (lots of time for sexual abuse to occur without any chance of Dr. Beuf detecting it). All the doctor visits after 8/96 were for problems above the waist.

If the entire listing of JBR's doctor visits is desired, I'll be happy to post it.

12. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Not relevant

I suppose, but I had three daughters, and they had regular physical check-ups. The only time I remember any doctor inspecting their privates as part of a physical check-up was at birth when the pediatrician checked for normalcy. Their diapers came off, of course, whenever they got their immunization shots, and I suppose the doctor may have visually inspected those cute little butts for unusual bruising, etc. (he wouldn't be much of a doctor if he wasn't aware that some parents misuse their kids), but never, ever did he spread their little legs to look at their private areas during a physical examination. Maybe it was because he delivered all but one of my children (my children's doctor was a GYN and a pediatrician), and he knew I was not predisposed to violence against my children, but I have always been uncomfortable with the Beuf's genital examinations of JBR during routine physical exams.

At any rate, unless abuse against JBR had left obvious signs - i.e., a torn or obliterated hymen, or a venereal disease, I don't think he would have been able to tell if there were sexual abuse going on, anyway. Obviously, she had irritation in that area - she was treated for it. That irritation could have been caused by any number of things, but I really think the only thing Beuf could have stated with certainty is that there were no signs of penetration or tearing of tissues in that area. Anything else would have been supposition on his part. So, while I believe him when he says he saw no signs of sexual abuse against JBR, I don't believe he can say as fact that there never was any abuse against her.

13. Cookie

Cookie Member

FYI

The autopsy report clearly shows CHRONIC sexual abuse and the dear Dr. Beuf was backed up against the wall. If he didn't agree with the RAMS and say that JBR was a much loved child, then his license could have been questionable for his failure to report child abuse. He had no other choice! There is much controversy about this doctor among preschool teachers in Boulder.

River Rat - In my estimation, there was no clear indication of psychotic behavior within the Ramsey family. There were oddities: PR's obsession with the pageant system, PR's temper and ability to "drop" friends, JR's absence, JR's lack of involvement with PR's cancer recovery, etc... I believe that sexual abusive behaviors are kept silent behind closed doors and are often undetected by the "outside" world.

Dr. Bea, are you familiar with the child pageant system? Can you give me any insight into A) Why would a mother encourage her CHILD to participate in these activities? and B) Why would a CHILD want to participate in the pageant system?

14. Tricia

Fly if you wouldn't mind posting JBR's dates of her Dr. visits. The more information the better.

Fedorax if you read this could you please pose a question to Dr. Bea concerning false accusations of sexual abuse ala Mystery Woman? I am trying to remember the facts but I don't know if I have them all in correct order. I bet you could together something better than I could.

OR anyone feel free to jump into the MW question. I thinks it's important.

I'll post mine if no one else does. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong in any part of the question.

Thanks
    Tricia

15. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

False accusations, Tricia?

Which accusations were those? To this day, I don't know what that woman accused anyone of or who she accused. There were vague innuendos of a pedophile group who allegedly abused this woman when she was young, and claims of stun guns (on a 38 year old woman, mind you) who claimed these pedophiles were still abusing her, but was there ever a time when her assertions (transmitted through someone who not only was gullible but also prone to gross exaggerations) were clear and concise? If so, I must have missed that part.

I am going to watch this thread, because I've never been able to find out exactly who supposedly committed these attrocious acts against this particular mystery woman who isn't.

16. Tricia

WY you make a great point. Just what were the accusations by MW?

I think Dr. Bea would have a hay day trying to figure out the level of narcissistic behavior of certain MW groupies.

Perhaps that is the question. What would make a group of people become groupies, rabid groupies of a very sick woman who tries to insert herself in a crime?

This thread could become very long.

17. fly

fly Member

signs of abuse

cookie - There was chronic interstitial inflammation, which might well be indicative of prior (chronic) sexual abuse, but that is not the only possible cause, according to experts who have commented.

Also, it doesn't necessarily mean a long history of abuse. It could have occurred as recently as 2 or 3 days before her death. If that were the case, Dr. Beuf would have had no reason to see anything in August.

Let's also keep in mind that if that inflammation was due to sexual abuse, the physical signs didn't have to be obvious, as WY pointed out. There was no scarring noted in the autopsy, and although the hymenal opening was enlarged and the hymen was damaged due to that night's events, all the experts we've heard have concurred that the physical condition was more consistent with something other than penetration by an adult penis. There might have been little, if anything, for Dr. Beuf to see.

The reports of JBR's behavior that fall have pretty consistently suggested everything was fine. People certainly can be abused and not show major signs of it, but if that were the case, there'd be no reason for Dr. Beuf to worry about his license, would there?

Rather than making vague allegations about Dr. Beuf, why not provide the specifics, your sources, and some support for those allegations.

WY - Take a look at the standard protocols for physicals for kids and you'll find a quick visual exam of the genitals is included. Maybe all doctors don't do it, but it is at least considered quite appropriate.

Tricia - I'll post the medical records in a separate post.

Perhaps our renewed discussion of the medical issues should have its own thread. I hesitated before posting my comments because the focus here has been questions, but decided the info needed to be where Dr. Bea would be likely to see it.

18. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

This is Most Interesting

Cookie - thanks sweetie! Just like I thought, prior to the murder of their daughter, the Ramseys public performance/personna's did not included acts of deception - although they were clearly there now looking back......the parading of their daughter's sexuality - sexuality that she did not have on her own but was provided with by mommy and daddy - sexuality that the majority of parents do not want to see emerge in their pre-teen daughter much less their pre-school daughter.

John's emotional neglect of this family must be the trigger here - if one is starved and needy, the compulsion for excessive behavior is there, somewhere, looking for an outlet.

And yes - I agree that the pediatrician Beufed himself right into a corner.......and possibly JonBenet right to the coroner.

Tricia - are you really saying that it is time to talk MW and Players? That's a big can of worms that even Ellique couldn't farm. But I will betcha a dollar that it all boils down to just that - a dollar. Or two.....

Bada Boom -
    RR

19. fly

fly Member

JBR's medical history

JBR's medical history as related by Beuf to Det. Harmer of BPD. Ginja (of JW) originally posted this. I think it is taken from Schiller's PMPT. See next post for Dr. Beuf's comments about JBR's medical history in his TV interview with Dianne Sawyer.

8/6/90: JBR born.

12/6/91: First visit with Beuf. Treated for fever, cough, and wheezing.

Over next 10 months, she had the usual colds and coughs of a toddler.

1/93: Diagnosed with ear infection (her first). Amoxicillin prescribed.

By age 2 1/2, she had a history of coughs accompanied by low grade fever.

3/93: First serious illness, fever 102, difficulty breathing. Coughed up yellow mucus and looked droopey.

7/93: (Patsy diagnosed with cancer; JBR under Nedra's care). Regressed in toilet training and eating habits.

8/31/93: Responding to Beuf's questions, Patsy says JBR doesn't have any phobias and no aspect of JBR's sexual education needed to be discussed.

9/6/93: Buttocks and vaginal area chafed red from diarrhea.

11/93: Cough and stuffed nose. Sleeping poorly, grouchy from fatigue, bad breath. Chronic sinusitis.

12/31/93: Still drinking from bottle; parents having trouble weaning her.

1/94: Bad breath, cough and congestion.

2/4/94: Nedra suggests Fifth Disease. (Childhood viral illness, often accompanied by rash. Fifth in line of common childhood diseases, i.e., chickenpox, measles). No medication prescribed.

4/94: Breath still bad, runny nose, little appetite, slept poorly, bladder infection and vaginal discharge. Diagnosed with vaginitis. Amoxicillin prescribed and warned against bubble baths.

4/94: (3 weeks later) Still coughing, stuffy nose, congestion. Ear hurt, cranky. Diagnosed with allergic rhinitis, Benedryl prescribed.

4/94: (1 week later). Still coughing, Suprax prescribed.

10/5/94: Came in for checkup, doctor notices scar on left cheek. She'd been hit accidentally by a golf club when the family was in Charlevoix. A week after the accident, a plastic surgeon was consulted. No injury to cheekbone. Beuf is told (at this visit) that she's getting along with brothers and older sister. Wearing pullups at night because she's wetting bed. Patsy completes developmental questionnaire, and says there are no aspects of JonBenet's behavior or sex education she needed to discuss, and also notes JBR has no fears or phobias.

11/1/94: Had diarrhea five times and was lethargic. One bowel movement appeared bloody.

11/4/94: Badly congested, deep cough, bad breath. Diarrhea gone.

1/1/95: Chickenpox. Rash even appears in vaginal area. Recommended Avino, Benadryl and Lanocaine.

1/31/95: Still has bad cough and not sleeping well. Robitussin not helping.
    Mid-Feb/95: Cough. Temp 99.3.

3/95: Complained of stomachache but sleeping well.
    4/95: JR calls in, says JBR has another cough, but he doesn't think daughter needs to be examined.

5/8/95: JBR falls in Alfalfa's food market, lands on nose, not broken.

12/95: Trips and hits head above left eye. Stuffy nose, bad breath, coughing.

3/96: Coughing a lot.

5/96: Bent nail back on fourth finger, left hand, in another fall. Swollen and painful, but no bruising. Ibuprofen recommended.

8/27/96: Patsy reports JBR's a good sleeper, wasn't hard to get to bed, and was easily awakened in the morning. Not interested in opposit sex, behaved modestly in public, and didn't engage in sex play with her friends. She was, however, asking about sex roles and reproduction. She was not rude or afraid of either parent. Didn't seem to be bossy with brother, didn't react with trantrums, and was active. Loved fruit and some vegetables. Patsy said she was delightful and doing very well. Burke had his annual checkup same day.

9/96: Cough back, Robitussin recommended.

10/96: Stuffy nose, bad breath. Diagnosed with allergic rhinitis.

11/12/96: Runny nose and cold sore, sneezing.

12/3/96: Sees eye doctor.

12/96: Misses pageant due to illness.

20. fly

fly Member

Dr. Beuf's interview

Transcript of ABC's <i>The Mystery of JonBenet Ramsey </i>

[The transcript is no longer online - at least not where it was initially. This represents the official transcript of the show, not one I did myself.]

(initial part of show not included here)

MICHAEL BYNUM
    This family has been investigated. They have been loving, caring
    parents. All of the medical records, all of the school records,
    anyone who's ever been around the family has confirmed it. There is
    no indication. There is no evidence.
    DIANE SAWYER
    (VO) But what about those reports that JonBenet's pediatrician, Dr
    Beuf, saw JonBenet 30 times in three years?
    (From taped telephone conversation)
    DR FRANCESCO BEUF
    Before your call, I sat down with her chart and counted. It was 27
    times.
    DIANE SAWYER
    (VO) This is the first time Dr Beuf has gone over his records
    publicly.
    (From taped telephone conversation) And is that unusual to see a
    child that many times?
    DR FRANCESCO BEUF
    Not with the kinds of problems which this child had. The majority of
    them were for sinus infections and for colds.
    DIANE SAWYER
    And by majority you mean?
    DR FRANCESCO BEUF
    Probably 20 of the lot. I counted three in which she'd complained of
    some pain in urination. And the rest of them were cold, strep
    throats, sinus infections.
    DIANE SAWYER
    (VO) So many he said, there was some concern about asthma.
    (From taped telephone conversation) How many times did you give her
    a vaginal examination?
    DR FRANCESCO BEUF
    Well, it was five or six times in that three - year period.
    DIANE SAWYER
    (VO) We asked him to specifically review all notes that might
    pertain. He agreed, citing the frenzy of uninformed speculation. Be
    warned, these are a doctor's clinical notes about a young patient.
    September 1993 -- a call about vaginal redness, possibly associated
    with recent diarrhea. April 1994 -- a visit about a problem perhaps
    related to the use of bubble bath, which can be an irritant.
    October 1994 -- a routine physical. No problems noted, though some
    indication of occasional bedwetting. Dr Beuf says 20 percent to 25
    percent of children that age wet the bed. March 1995 -- abdominal
    pain and fever. Tests and exam showed no problem. August 1996 --
    another routine physical with a vaginal exam. The doctor said
    everything checked out as normal. We asked what he made of this
    number of complaints?
    (From taped telephone conversation) Would that be unusual?
    DR FRANCESCO BEUF
    For a child that age, certainly not. They don't wipe themselves very
    well after they urinate. And it's something which usually is curable
    by having them take plain water baths or learning to wipe better.
    But if you have four - year - old kids, you know how hard that is.
    The amount of vaginitis which I saw on the child was totally
    consistent with little girls her age.
    DIANE SAWYER
    If there had been an abrasion involving the hymen, you would have
    seen it?
    DR FRANCESCO BEUF
    Probably. I can't say absolutely for sure because you don't do a
    speculum exam on a child that young at least unless it's under
    anesthesia.
    DIANE SAWYER
    Did you see in any of these examinations any sign of possible sexual
    abuse?
    DR FRANCESCO BEUF
    No, and I certainly would have reported it to the social service
    people if I had. That's something that all of us in pediatrics are
    very acutely aware of.
    DIANE SAWYER
    (on camera) And some other notes. Dr Beuf says he last saw JonBenet
    Ramsey in November 1996, and that was a checkup for a sinus
    infection. A couple of other things. Dr Beuf says he has turned in
    people he has suspected of physical and sexual abuse in his career,
    and that he not only looks for physical evidence, but personality
    changes in the children involved. And he says he saw none of that
    with JonBenet Ramsey.
    And PrimeTime consulted other pediatric experts about JonBenet's
    records, and they agreed with Dr Beuf's analysis that there was
    nothing unusual there for a girl her age. When we come back, we will
    take you to the Ramsey home.

(show continues)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice