The trail of the ransom note

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by MJenn, May 8, 2002.

1. MJenn

MJenn Member

BobC! Is it possible you don't know how the good ol' boys' network works? NO WAY!

"You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours...."

"You help me...I'll help you...."

"I owe you one...."

"He who has the gold rules...."

Any of this striking a chord?

Lord, am I hallucinating? Was there really NOT a company named Enron which stole BILLIONS from it's stock holders, mired so deep in policitics that the worst any of the thieves will see is a few months in a country club prison...from which they will fly to their many homes to recover from not having a manicure twice a week...?

And did that company NOT operate with the Federal gov't. cooperating fully to NOT monitor their operations, leaving them to self-regulate with their very elite accountant firm, Anderson, which was much praised and quite busy CREATING THE SAME FAKE BOOKS AND BURYING THE EVIDENCE for other companies' shell games for years as well?

Oh, thank god! I thought there really were people who do bad things for money and power. What a relief! I don't need a therapist after all!

2. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

absolutely

I don't think we're as far apart on this as I may be sounding--I am completely convinced that people like DeMuth and Hofstrom catered to the R's lawyers and these people were doubtlessly handled with kid gloves because of who they were. If Hofstrom was having breakfasts on a regular basis with one of the defense lawyers, it's not much of a stretch to think that friendship may have contributed to the lack of aggressiveness by Hunter and company--but there were so many other causes as well.

I may be wrong but until somebody shows me the check stub from all these people being "paid off," I'm going to think the best.

3. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

BoBC I understand what you are saying about actual money changing hands. I don't think Ramsey lawyers put cash in a bag and handed it over. They could have I guess but I don't think so.

I would bet my left kidney there was a lot of what MJenn said what was going on.

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

A fine and shinning example of this is the amazing job opportunity that landed in the large lap of Tripp DeMuth when he lost the D.A.'s race.

Imagine after promoting the intruder theory, rather shoving the intruder theory down the BPD's throat, refusing to sign the simplest of warrants among other things, our lucky Mr. DeMuth ends up at the LAW FIRM OF TEAM RAMSEY. WOW. How lucky.

Radio is so full of the good ole' boy network and this is EXACTLY how it works. You do me a favor and you end up with the job.

Do I have proof this is what happened? No. It just looks like a duck, it walks like a duck, it quacks like a duck so it is my constitutionally protected opinion that Mr. DeMuth is therefore

A Duck.

Quack

Tricia
    PS If DeMuth had actually treated the Ramseys like suspects do you think he would have landed this fine job???? quackquack.

4. Camper

Camper Banned

Tricia, amen.

5. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Sure Tricia

But let me play devils advocate: people are self-centered. What was in Hunter's best interest regarding this case? I mean, would it make Hunter look better to have an arrest, or not to have an arrest? To me it all boils down to that. I am no Hunter fan. However, it was in his BEST INTEREST to make an arrest in this case and when they couldn't get the case together enough to win, it had to have been his biggest life humiliation.

Hunter must have wanted an arrest.

6. Tricia

BobC yes of course Hunter wanted an arrest. He just didn't want to go up against Team Ramsey. He knew, absent a confession in stone, that Team Ramsey would chew up his (Hunter's) team and spit them out like a legal spitwad.

If I am not mistaken Fedorax believes that Hunter did not have a good case and therefore was right in not taking a bad case to court. Losing the case and letting the killer(s) walk free. To some extent I agree with Fedorax.

(Fedorax I apologize for putting words into your post so please correct me if I am wrong. )

However what my problem with the whole DA team is their stonewalling. DeMuth and his constant insistence on the intruder theory.
    Hunter, DeMuth, and others not signing search warrants right off the bat. We all know this list goes on and on.

Hunter made sure this case would never go to trial with his lack of action.

Which leads me to my original point of this post.

Hunter knew, absent a confession, he would lose because his fluffy, feel good,
    pre-charging plea bargains made his whole team's courtroom skills look like a legal Barney Fife squad. Therefore it is my belief that Hunter did not want to take this case to trial. He did his dandiest to make sure he bent over backwards for team Ramsey insuring no charges would be filed. Stall. Deny.

Has Hunter ever explained why he would not immediately issue a search warrant to obtain phone records? WHY?

Add to that the close relationship of Team Ramsey with the Boulder DA team and you have a guaranteed Mongolian cluster. Nothing was going to get done.

BobC who knows what was said behind close doors. Who knows if deals were made.

This I do know.

Trip DeMuth, an attorney in the DA's office, the BIGGEST intruder theorist in the DA's office, ends up with a nice job in the law firm that wanted the DA and the BPD to buy the intruder theory.

Yes you can argue that Boulder is a small town and therefore the good jobs are few and far between. So it wouldn't be unusual for a former Assistant DA to work for a defense firm.

You know what though? This just looks bad. It smells bad. It's not much of a leap to suggest DeMuth was rewarded for his helpful advancement of the intruder theory with a job. Be it said out loud by anyone involved or not.

Ladies and Gentlemen...this is a duck.

7. MJenn

MJenn Member

Amen, Tricia, and PRAISE THE LORD! Hallelujah, PREACH IT SISTAH! (dancing and speaking in tongues, now....)

8. Camper

Camper Banned

Hmmmm

Amen again, pass the collection plate!

This reminds me of a teenage girl wearing high heels for the very first time. The ankles wobble, the legs are insecure, and the gait is totally unfamiliar.

Hunter in high heels, picture this, he was a champ at plea bargaining, and now he was being forced/hounded ?, by the lead detectives to produce the evidence that would make for a stronger case, and he was afraid to put on the platform shoes. Plus all of the things that Tricia said so well.

So, he leaves stage left, with his army boots intact, and his gait still steady, and he is gone, and the case is gone. Just wonder how many of his 'dear and closest good ole boys club' still have regular strategy meetings about other matters. He has definitely dissapeared from the local news, he has become a regular, "Where's Waldo", Waldo wore a striped shirt, AH appears to me to have just one stripe, right down his back.

I think he had a bad, bad case of stage fright, and feet too flat to wear high heels.

Then we have Mary Keene, humming in her little office to the tune of, "The song has ended, but the memory lingers on".

9. Dunvegan

Dunvegan Guest

Camper...don't make me come out of retirement...

...and do a parody of Hunter in drag.

"So, Alex...how's your stilettos?"

"What stilettos?"

"Still-let-dose Ramseys walk all over you?"

10. Tricia

Dunvegan I believe that once one speaks of doing a parody it is law that said parody must be done.

Go forth and parodize...

Tricia

11. AK

AK Member

Tearing my hair out.......ay-yi-yi

Tricia, those words you put in my mouth are correct. But it wasn't Hunter's personal opinion or fear. It was his sworn duty as a DA not to take a weak case to court. This came after peer review like no case I've ever heard about. Doesn't mean things won't align at a later point. I believe they will. But there's no shame in waiting.

DeMuth was a valuable player in the DA's office. Someone had to plunge into that important POV and know where the landmines were. Doesn't matter what his, or anyone's, personal beliefs might be. He did his job admirably. Do we think fly is spying for the "other side" or trying to ruin the forum when s/he brings out our lapses in logic? No, it's a critical POV.

This very night there are two giants in the forensic field who sometimes work together and sometimes oppose each other in courtrooms, and they're involved in many current cases -- but because they're in one's city, the other one and spouse are house guests of the one who lives there. They no doubt will have dinner. They may even talk case. They may even chide each other about deficits in the other's presentation. But they are through and through professionals and they will conduct themselves appropriately when they get into the court room.

I have total respect for the law. Most of the time there's justice. When there's not it's troubling but we learn. Sometimes we can even change things when they go wrong. Sometimes innocent people get executed and that's the worst possible scenario and most troublesome aspect. But for me, I never get so down that I lose respect for the process.

I try hard not to fill vacuums with baseless conspiracies. The people who want this case to go to court have far more invested in seeing it done right than we ever will. Lacking absolute proof of mendacity, and knowing the quality of people this case has attracted (and those who are their checks and balances), I choose the high road.

12. Tricia

Fedorax what I am saying is this.

Hunter made sure that no charges would be brought because he was afraid to face team Ramsey. I am not even suggestion a great conspiracy at all. I am not suggesting a pay off. I am saying Hunter was out of his element and did not want to take this high profile case to court and lose because his team was not strong enough to even begin to fight this battle. Therefore he stonewalled. He found excuses not to do the most basic things.

Explain the refusal of immediate search warrants for:

Phone Records
    Clothing
    Credit Card Records

Explain the lack of quickly seating a grand jury

Explain Pete not wanting to give the Ramsey's a poly. Should have had one ready to go when Thomas was interviewing Patsy and she said she would take one.

Fedorax the list goes on and on.

Of course Hunter had an obligation not to bring a weak case to court. I agree. I think he made darn sure it was a weak case so he wouldn't have to face Team Ramsey.

He let Pete work his "magic" and not much got accomplished.

Do you think a D.A. in NYC would "ask the Ramsey's" to turn over their clothes and then wait a whole year before they got them?

HELL NO.

DeMuth did not pursue the intruder theory. He endorsed it. DeMuth ended up with a great job with Team Ramsey.

I think of DeMuth like a legislator. A legislator who constantly backs any bill that benefits, say, AT&T. Then when he loses the election he is given a great job with AT&T.

It doesn't pass the giggle test.

Fedorax from the outside looking in this is the Good Ole Boys network at it's finest.

Tricia

13. Voyager

Voyager Active Member

Tricia.....

You have got a great memory and you make a very convincing case....yep, as I read your post, I remembered all of those happenings unfold in slow motion, and I remember the frustration of all of us Ramsey case followers on the forums when all the stonewalling and wheeling and dealing was going on....

It makes me angry all over again to read your reminder, and makes me realize that JonBenet's murderers did not beat this murder wrap all by themselves....they had lots and lots of help....

14. Camper

Camper Banned

Special Request

Dunvegan, lets have that parody, where do you want to put it?

Amazing that someone else compared AH to his inability to wear special shoes, hee hee. Wonder if his office chair had a seat cushion in it, probably wore out several of those, during his 28 years of 'service' to Boulder.

15. AK

AK Member

I'll just say this...

If a defendant has enough money, he or she can find deficits in any case because nothing is ever perfect. Successful prosecutions get done anyway.

I refuse to give ammo to the defense team by rehashing gripes from a questionable source. How is doing so benefiting justice? It's not.

16. MJenn

MJenn Member

Questionable source? Well, perhaps you need to make out a list of sources you think we can trust, Fedorax. Because in the end, I think there are enough sources from both sides giving testimony and enough pure facts corroborated in any number of books, news articles and news media that prove everything Tricia said is ABSOLUTELY TRUE.

Why, even Patsy herself said one of the DA's lawyers TOLD THE RAMS HIMSELF that before they were taken off the case, THEY WERE SO CLOSE TO FINDING THE KILLER--and the only two lawyers from that office TAKEN OFF THE CASE were DeMuth and Hofstrom. She said this during her starring appearance at a journalism school--and I have the tape the school kindly sent me, as well as this interview was posted in audio at the school's website for awhile, where I first heard it.

Now, please tell me WHY THE DA'S LAWYERS WOULD BE TELLING SOMETHING LIKE THIS TO THE RAMS, THE PRIME SUSPECTS? I mean, please tell me that you don't believe a lawyer who has passed the bar and has years of experience as a prosecutor wouldn't KNOW this could be used IN COURT BY THE PRIME SUSPECTS SHOULD THEY EVER BE PROSECUTED?

That's why many believe that the DA's office sank this case, knowingly and unethically and willingly from the beginning. If you want to argue they were just careless or grossly incompetent, then I have to counter with, how could sooooooo many lawyers in one office be all that dumb?

No, this was cronyism at its very worst. They were charged with representing the victim, JonBenet, a horribly murdered child, and they did not do that, did not even try to do that, and they will forever have that on their souls. What they did was play politics at its worst.

Do you have any idea how impressive a law firm like Haddon and company are among the little fish? I can't imagine that you don't. Hunter was in business with these same lawyers OUTSIDE law. Real estate developments, wasn't it? Haddon had connections ALL THE WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE. The Rams got calls of condolence all the way from the top levels of Colorado gov't. Those same politicians sworn to uphold the laws of Colorado STONEWALLED the BPD when questioned about those calls.

You think Thomas is unreliable? Ha. A group of lawyers who have broken so many of the ABA's OWN CODE OF ETHICS--AND THE ONE ABOUT NOT DOING ANYTHING THAT GIVES AN APPEARANCE OF IMPROPRIETY IS FIRST AND FOREMOST IN MY MIND--gets NO CREDIBILITY in my book.

Of course, lawyers are NOT going to prosecute each other, not going to INVESTIGATE each other, leading to the logical conclusion the whole state is nothing but a hotbed of collusion among the members of the justice system there. I have EVERY RIGHT TO COME TO THIS OPINION, considering their own shocking disregard for the bar, for their sworn oath to represent the people and the victim. I can only say that if this behavior had happened in my state, I'd be their worst nightmare. Since I'm not a citizen of Colorado, all I can do is what I do on in this community: let them know that some of us are well aware of their black hearts and won't forget that they COERCED to LET a child killer go free for their own personal gain and/or because they were too cowardly to stand up for a child against her powerful murderer...IMO.

But don't worry. There are few heroes in real life. I'm sure they did what most lawyers do everyday in this country. Yeah, I've lost a LOT of faith in the justice system--but not because Hunter and his office opened my eyes. This is not only nothing new, it's not even unusual. Thank god for free press. I mean, how many blacks were lynched in this country with the passive collusion of prosecutors who were afraid or lazy or looking to the next election when most blacks didn't vote?

What I find interesting is that the idea of a hidden agenda is so foreign to some. It's at the heart of every mystery.

17. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Amen

Name me one "He did what?!" moment about Steve Thomas and the job he did investigating this homicide.

Now, get a legal pad out and jot down the list for Alex Hunter and Company.

Big difference.

Never forget the APE......

Accute POLITICAL Emergency.

Nuff said?

18. MJenn

MJenn Member

Good point, RR

'Nuff said.

19. fly

fly Member

ah, but

RR - We haven't had an account (except from ST) of what ST did, have we? Perhaps there is no such event, and perhaps there are other good reasons for ST's lawyers to block having his deposition made public. The "dark side" is certainly intimating that there is embarrassing stuff in it, however.

Tricia - You asked if a NYC DA would wait a year before asking for the parent's clothes. Obviously, the answer would be no. However, shouldn't the police probably be the ones to be saddled with that "they did what!?!" They were the ones in charge of processing the crime scene and collecting evidence. Even if the parents were not at all suspected, getting their clothes for fiber identification - given that PR and JR both had had direct contact with her body - would have been routine, I'd think. Does ST claim the DA's office forbade such action? I've never seen that stated on the forums, but maybe I've missed it.

Hunter et al. made several questionable moves, but let's not forget the police made their fair share, too. Shall we use the same logic and argue that the police are equally biased - just against the parents rather than for them?

20. imon128

imon128 Banned

Some thoughts

Let us say that it's possible that the police DID THEIR JOB and came to a logical conclusion...the Ramsey family (who???) was involved in JonBenet Ramsey's death.

Let us say it's possible that the DA's office did the RAMSEY's JOB and let a killer/s go free? Just some thoughts, here.

Jobbers........gotta love'em.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice