Tom Miller is writing a book?

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Tricia, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Elle

Elle Member

LA, as you can see on the Miller book thread, Cookie is posting here. The only suggestion I can make to you is to send her a private message through the forum. This is the way the posters communicate, unless they are personal friends.

I suggest you get in touch with one of the moderators to help you out. Personal addresses are not given out.

2. Thank you for your help. I got in touch with Cookie.

-L.A

3. Elle

Elle Member

You're welcome LA. I had a feeling Cookie was still reading here, and would see your post. Judith had to be careful, and I only posted with her a few times and did ask her one question on the forum, when Tricia set up a special question time for her, so I didn't know her well enough to ask her to e-mail you. :)

It is good we have Judith here on FFJ. We are all tired of hearing a one sided story from the Ramseys. We hope to hear the truth from Judith and her husband Tom Miller.

4. Elle

Elle Member

I haven't received my Tom Miller CD yet. Anyone else received theirs?

5. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Hey, Elle, I got mine today in the mail. I've read about the first 100 pages...yeah, mostly jury qualification and voir dire...boring, but I just went through this myself for a murder trial, so it was interesting to compare the two state systems.

Anyhow, the actual indictment read by the judge to the jury was rather shocking. Do you think we should start a new thread on this? The cd transcript is over 700 cd pages. I'd like to post the indictment charge, but keep in mind that Miller was found "not guilty" when you read it. This indictment painted Miller as a willing participant who was quite aware of the illegal transaction Globe editor Craig Lewis allegedly was attempting--the purchase of a copy of the ransom note from Donald Vacca, the document examiner hired by Hadden's law firm for the Rams. I look forward to seeing how the evidence was presented and how the jury concluded Miller was not guilty.

I will say here that Counselors for the defense, out of the gate, in pretrial discussion and in the few pages of trial I've spot read so far, were quite good.

I also cannot resolve as fair or even conscionable that the same DA who prosecuted Miller did so after DROPPING CHARGES AGAINST THE GLOBE EDITOR LEWIS, following Lewis' DONATION of a $100,000 CONTRIBUTION TO A COLORADO UNIVERSITY. See, call me simple-minded, but HOW IS THAT ETHICAL? If I were on the jury, that alone would have caused me to vote not guilty. Reasonable doubt? NO BRAINER. What juror would not ask him/herself, WHERE IS LEWIS? when the witnesses were done and the prosecutor was finished? Unless the defense was not allowed to bring in that information about Lewis obviously paying his way out of a charge, which I would find shocking, as well, but guess we'll see....

At the very least, Lewis was the main player in this strange case, working for a notoriously unscrupulous tab magazine already up to their ears in illegally obtained pictures of a child's autopsy and heading quickly to attempted blackmail of Steve Thomas, with the actual witnesses now on the record with the details about both of these matters, which we all have seen and heard. But instead of going after the Globe, the DA dropped the charges against Lewis, represented by a group of Globe lawyers who I'm sure made the DA quake in his hot tubbie. Then he charged Miller. Go figure....

Of course, Miller claims in his rather plainly stated opening editorial comments about his prosecution that it was all orchestrated by the Ramseys' attornies as payback for his professional expert opinion that Patsy Ramsey wrote the ransom note. The writing is straightforward and I think the transcript will be an interesting read if all he says is borne out by the trial testimony. Let me reiterate, the verdict is already in. After hearing all the trial testimony and evidence, the jury determined NOT GUILTY.

I doubt if the verdict even fazed the Ramseys or their lawyers, or their lawyers' cronies. It's all about the aggravation and cost to anyone who opposes the lies and "diversionary tactics" used to bury a child murder case forever, IMO. What price will a child killer pay to get away with murder?

I gotta' tell ya', if there are any judicial districts in this country more corrupt, more unethical, or more immoral than those we've seen compromised by this murder case and all roads leading to it, I do not want to know about them. Really. Don't tell me.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  6. koldkase

Oh, yeah, another issue that will be interesting to watch is the argument by Miller's counsel that Miller's diary was illegally obtained by the DA and should not therefore be evidence for this trial. The DA has already read the diary and returned it with no expectation of using anything from it in the trial, the prosecution states, unless he wants to use it for rebuttal if Miller takes the stand, for impeachment of Miller's testimony if needed. Of course, Miller's lawyer pushes that issue, and of course, the prosecutor wants to retain the ability to use it for impeachment purposes. The prosecution claims precedence dictates this is allowed, and the judge agrees, rather lukewarmly, deferring any actual ruling until "later" in the trial.

I don't know the case law on this, nor do I know how this finally plays out, as far as the legal issues, until I read the transcript in full. But before voir dire, the lawyers argue this issue a bit and it comes out that for some reason no judge has bothered to rule on whether or not the diary was legally obtained by LE or not. Before any ruling was made on those motions by the defense to exclude the diary as evidence, the DA gave the diary back and said he didn't need it, not to worry, UNLESS he wanted to use it for impeachment if Miller testified. HUH? Isn't that a bit like having your cake and eating it, too? So the defense argued again and Judge Tidball kept waffling on the issue as well, I guess to save time, in case Miller does NOT testify, making this a moot point.

Me...I do NOT see how evidence that was unconstitutionally obtained can be used against a defendant...PERIOD. But I'm no legal eagle, so maybe upon reading, I'll learn if this issue ever got ruled on during the trial and on what precedent the ruling was determined.

The defense attorney brought up Miller's Constitutional right to privacy issue here and that this had been violated, that the prosecution had access to knowledge of personal material from Miller's life LE had no legal right to obtain, and that can't be undone. And YET...so far, before voir dire started, no judge bothered to RULE on this very important U.S. Constitutional issue: the DA kept COPIES of Miller's diary even after returning the actual diary to Miller. The diary was read by other attornies in the DA's Office, judges in the case, even Judge Tidball says she read it; then she carelessly thumbed her nose at the Constitutional issue and abuse of Mr. Miller's rights, dodging any responsibility or reparations for this violation of federal and state law by simply deferring it until "later." I'm just hoping it even gets brought up again, because this is sooooooooo wrong. But in Colorado, as they smugly illustrate with arguments so logically and legally flawed it's obvious they don't even feel the need to try to look intelligent, much less competent (yes, I'm talking about you, too, Bill Nagel), they have no regard for the law as laid out by the U.S. Constitution. They make it up as they go. Depending on who is the highest bidder for justice, of course.

I will say I like Miller's opening comments for this trial transcript, as well as the CD title and great picture of the Ramseys by Judith. I agree with Mr. Miller's premise entirely: that justice can be had in this country...for a price. He should know, as his cost him dearly.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  7. Elle

Elle Member

No sign of mine yet, KK, so I'll read what you're saying here until it comes.

Edited to say:

I'm thinking I didn't need to spend money on this CD. You are doing a good job of reporting here. :)

8. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

Does anyone know when this long-awaited book is coming out?

9. koldkase

WY: I haven't seen anything mentioned yet on the cd, but I haven't looked at all of the editorial writing yet, obviously. Didn't they have some info about that on this thread? Didn't Cookie/Judith say something about that? Or maybe it was on another thread. If I run across anything, I'll let you know.

Well, Elle, this transcript is over 700 cd pages, which is running behind the actual transcript pages a bit...maybe the transcript itself is 600+ pages...?

Since the transcript is a public document, anyone can call the Clerk's Office and get one sent in the mail...for a few hundred dollars and postage. So the cost of this cd is a bargain, believe me. And Miller himself had to pay the initial fee for the court reporter to transcribe the trial. It cost him the same as it would cost us, I believe. It's fair he gets that back, as well.

Plus, you get the editorial comments by the man at the center of the trial. That's worth something, and I can't violate copyright by putting that here verbatim.

And finally, I ordered this to support Mr. Miller in this small way, not because I know him or Judith or have any connections or any strong feelings about their place in all this mess: I ordered it because I understand the financial and spiritual cost of fighting the power of people like the Ramseys who crush all who openly oppose the murder of their child with impunity; I have seen how brilliantly they have manipulated and paid for the devastation of many people, not the least of whom was JonBenet, IMO, and I want to support anyone who has the balls to fight them and expose the awful truth about how a child killer can get away with it...every day...for nine years...for a lifetime...but not for eternity.

10. koldkase

PS Also, in the next few days, I'm going to be offline and busy, so I won't be able to read or post about this for that time. Feel very free, Elle, to take up my slack! :yes:

Edited to add:

Or you can go to the swamp where you can see gutter candy post whatever little excerpts she can twist into IT'S ALL STEVE THOMAS' AND FLEET WHITE'S FAULT! IT'S ALL ABOUT THEM! THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR EVERYTHING WRONG IN THE UNIVERSE...INCLUDING THE AVIAN FLU OUTBREAK!

hehehe I'd have taken bets on this...but nobody would bet she wouldn't do it! Do NOT expect any in depth discussion from her, though, as she isn't capable of it. Her specialty is going bonkers and crucifying whoever didn't meet her irrational expectations of being worshipped and adored by all....

She's particularly abrasive in her attacks of Thomas and White right now because WE POSTED ABOUT THE CD FIRST! She thinks we are upset by her attacks on Thomas and White because we have defended them over the libelous attacks on White and the RST attacks on Thomas. :moron:

11. Watching You

Candy is weting her pants in happiness, because now we gutter BORG will have to stop lying about ST and FW. Giggle.

12. koldkase

hehehe I know, she's priceless, isn't she? You can set your clock by her.

Well, if I MUST stop lying about Thomas and White now...guess I'll have to start lying about...someone else...now who now who.... :idea:

OH! Did you KNOW that gutter candy told someone who told me that she advocates wearing Vicks Vapor Rub on dates? She uses it as lipstick! I swear it! Says it makes her lips soft for kissing, though she hasn't been able to entice anyone to kiss her...or date her, for that matter.... But it's a theory!

13. Watching You

Makes one speckle-ate that perhaps the Vicks is the only zing she has to offer to her date, har har har har.

14. Elle

Elle Member

No way Hosé! Are you kidding KK? I leave this to all you younger ones. I honestly don't know where you get all your energy from, to post the way you do (?). Are you a professional reporter? All kidding aside, it does take time to read and analyze everything.

15. koldkase

Am I a professional reporter? Well, I would have said no...but since jams claims her internet gossip is actually "reporting" and therefore she's a "reporter"...sure! You bet!

But all kidding aside...I'm really a professional pain in the butt. It just comes natural, and I'm very good at it! :takeabow:

16. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

EXCUUUZE ME MISSY?

I don't remember granting you time off. Now listen up...you must post 13 minutes before anyone named Mary about Thomas, White, or any gutter tripe. That is what is in your contract. I know. I leaked the whole contract to Vanity Fair.

17. Elle

Elle Member

Is that John Wayne I hear. Tricia? Sounds as if you have both guns firing there (?). "Did you just get back from the Fort?" :)

18. koldkase

HA! You Queen of the Low Life Scum Guttah Gossips! I knew it was you who leaked my contract to Vanity Fair! And Newsweek! And Peter Boyle! And Pam Paugh! And Car Living Made Easy! And Dumpster Vacations!

Just keep pouring the good stuff....

As for looking for any info on this transcript from the swampster gutter candy, forget it. She is once again circling Uranus. She seems to be under the illusion that this trial was all about Thomas and White. Miller is just the sidebar issue for her.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  19. koldkase

OK, just finished reading the voir dire, jury selection, and jury instructions.

People of the State of Colorado v Thomas 99 CR 2023

The state's attorney was Dennis Hall. Miller had two attorneys, one named Gary Lozow and one Charles Leidner. Lozow did the voir dire with the jury, which means he questioned them to establish any bias or problems for his client, and he was BRILLIANT. IN VOIR DIRE! That's remarkable. It's usually so boring, it's hard to stay awake.

I never saw anyone do this before: Lozow questioned the jury pool in such a way as to practically INSTRUCT them in depth, prime them, so to speak, about the very issues that were going to get Miller a not guilty unless the state had an ironclad case. It really is remarkable. Very smart. Very.

In his time to question the individual potential jurors, he talked/questioned them about any already formed opinions about the case, given its high profile, of course. But he went further: he "discussed" in question form how the jury might understand or not that a lawyer has attorney-client privileges, meaning he can't disclose certain information, and do they know how that works--which is significant here because Miller was in a position of not being able to give information to LE about whatever Craig Lewis did or said to him, as Miller was Lewis' representing attorney present and participating in the meeting where Lewis allegedly attempted to buy the ransom note from the Ramseys' document examiner, Donald Vacca. The case involved BOTH Lewis and Miller, being initially suspected of the same crime, as they were together when the alleged attempt at "criminal bribery" took place. It's an important point Lozow is making here with the jury pool, from which will come the jury, because I'm guessing that Miller's refusal to breech that privilege and roll over on Lewis was part of the reason Miller ended up charged, even though Lewis bought his way out of a charge with that obvious $100,000 donation. I haven't read the opening statements yet, but I believe Miller's defense was that he didn't know Lewis was there to try to buy a copy of the note. So when LE was alerted by Vacca of what had happened, Miller was in a double bind: to protect himself, he would have to break attorney-client privilege and help convict his client, or he'd have to keep his professional, legal duty to Lewis and face being charged himself. Helping the jury understand this early the bind Miller was in...before they're even on the jury...giving the defense's legal arguments at this time as an extra bite at the apple...truly great stategy. I'm impressed.

Another point he made with the jury during voir dire, one defense lawyers really can't repeat enough in a case as thin as the state's here: did they understand Miller didn't have to put on any defense, testify, call any witnesses, and the jury could not hold that against him, as the judge would instruct them, because it was the state's responsibility to meet the burden of proof, beyond a reasonable doubt, not the accused's responsibility to prove himself innocent. Lozow was good at talking to these potential jurors. Very gentle. Barely maintaining this phase of the process as a questioning phase to qualify jurors, calling them individually by name, establishing a rapport with them...oh, he's good.

Lozow also spent some time on how much the jury pool had heard about the case and formed opinions from news sources or the notoriety of the Ramsey case, asking them if they understood how reporters' biases and mistakes and incorrect information was not evidence, etc. Considering how much press anything related to the Ramsey case got in those days, this was an opportunity to "instruct" the jury in such a way as to make them aware of their own pre-trial influences and conscious of their duty to dismiss them and focus on the evidence presented at trial. Again, this man knew what he was doing. I was ready to vote not guilty after just reading voir dire!

Did I mention he did this under a 30 minute stopwatch imposed by Judge Tidball? She gave him a little leeway...maybe an extra 15 minutes.

So...Miller had at least one great attorney. I look forward to reading the opening statements, as well. The county where the trial was held is Jeffco, short for Jefferson County, I think. This is the airport location where Ramsey kept his plane, I believe, not far from Boulder. The Jefferson County DA...I saw him many times on TV standing in for Hunter, on Geraldo or LKL...a real Hunter-type, I might add, if I remember, not ever saying much, just there to show a face for Hunter, who was too chicken to show it himself by then. (Stinking heap of dung!)

OK, still got real life stuff, but I'll keep going when I can...if nobody else is going to jump in...grumble grumble grumble....

20. Elle

Elle Member

Can't jump in KK. I still don't have my CD, and you're doing a great job of this, and truthfully much better than I could ever be at something like this. I agree with what you're saying here. Gary Lozow did use good strategy here. Miller was in a Catch 22 situation.

By the time my CD arrives, you'll be finished, and I can sell it on eBay. Just kidding!:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice