Westword: "Tabloid Nation" - Michael Tracey Behaving Badly

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Thanks to Spade for the documents cited below ...

According to the following sworn affidavit that quotes the People’s Motion to Dismiss the charges against Mr. Lewis and The Globe, the motion stated that “Defendant and his employer have made public†a statement regarding the alleged crimes and have “donated $100,000 to the University of Colorado School of Journalism. The University will use this money to pay an instructor who teaches on the subject of Ethics in Journalism.â€

In November 2000, according to the statement in the legal document of Motion to Dismiss charges against Craig Lewis, Globe's $100,000 "donation" to CU was going to be used "to pay an instructor who teaches on the subject of Ethics in Journalism."

In November 2000, the interim dean of the School of Journalism, Stewart Hoover, said the $100,000 would be invested in the school endowment fund, and hopefully return $4,000 annually for "speakers and other enhancements."

"Speakers and other enhancements" at the tune of $4,000 annually doesn't sound like paying for "an instructor" who teaches Ethics in Journalism.

In October 2006, Michael Tracey said "he thought a substantial percentage [of the $100,000] had gone to CU's new Institute for Ethical and Civic Engagement" according to an article by Patricia Calhoun in the Denver paper, Westword.

Where, exactly, did the money go?

------------------------------

October 22, 2002

David J. Thomas
    District Attorney
    First Judicial District
    500 Jefferson County Parkway
    Golden, CO 80401

Subject: The People of the State of Colorado, Plaintiff
    Vs.
    Craig Lewis, Defendant
    District Court, Jefferson County, State of Colorado
    Case No. 99 CR 3053

Dear Mr. Thomas:

On or about December 17, 1999 the Jefferson County grand jury indicted Craig A. Lewis, an employee of the Globe supermarket tabloid, for committing criminal extortion and commercial bribery.

Regarding the indictment of Mr. Lewis, you were quoted by the Associated Press on December 21, 1999 as saying that: “We believe the conduct as set forth in this indictment clearly crosses the line of legitimate news gathering activity and violates Colorado law.â€

On May 15, 2000, Jefferson County District Court Judge Jane A. Tidball denied Lewis’ Motion to Dismiss the indictment.

On June 21, 2000, defendant Lewis filed Petition for Relief in the Nature of Prohibition or Mandamus and for Issuance of a Rule to show cause pursuant to C.A.R. 21 with the Colorado Supreme Court.

On June 30, 2000 the Colorado Supreme Curt entered an Order and Rule to Show Cause. On July 31, 2000 your office filed People’s Response to Defendants’ Petition Pursuant to Rule 21, C.A.R.

On October 26, 2000 the Colorado Supreme Court ordered that “the Rule to Show Cause hereto entered, be, and hereby is, discharged as having been improvidently issued.â€

Notwithstanding the significant litigation of the indictments of Mr. Lewis and the October 26, 2000 Supreme Court order, your office on November 9, 2000 filed People’s Motion to Dismiss the charges against Mr. Lewis and The Globe. The motion stated that “Defendant and his employer have made public†a statement regarding the alleged crimes and have “donated $100,000 to the University of Colorado School of Journalism. The University will use this money to pay an instructor who teaches on the subject of Ethics in Journalism.†In regard to the dismissal of charges against Mr. Lewis, the November 9, 2000 Rocky Mountain News quoted you as saying “It is very unusualâ€.

Page 2

At a meeting at your office on September 17, 2001, you told us that several lawyers representing Mr. Lewis and The Globe met with you to discuss the charges against Mr. Lewis. You said that at least one of the lawyers attending that meeting attempted to influence your official decision and action regarding the indictment of Mr. Lewis through enclosed affidavits of Fleet Russell White, Jr. and Priscilla Brown White). By doing so, that person violated Section 18-8-306 C.R.S., Attempt to influence a public servant, and possibly other Colorado criminal statutes.

We hereby request that the conduct of the person or persons who illegally attempted to influence your decision or actions concerning Mr. Lewis’ indictment be investigated and prosecuted. We further request that your office cause the appointment of a special prosecutor for that purpose and that you recommend to the Colorado Attorney General that the matter be referred to a state grand jury for investigation.

We would appreciate your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Fleet Russell White, Jr.
    Priscilla Brown White

Cc: Bill Owens, Governor of Colorado
    Ken Salazar, Attorney General of Colorado
    Mary Keenan, District Attorney of the Twentieth Judicial District
    John Suthers, United States Attorney

AFFIDAVIT OF FLEET RUSSELL WHITE, JR.

The undersigned hereby swear and affirms as follows:

1. My name is Fleet Russell White, Jr.
    2. I reside at (address redacted)
    3. On September 19, 2000, I met with Jefferson County Deputy District Attorney Dennis Hall. At that meeting, Mr. Hall stated that David Kendall, a lawyer with the Washington, D.C. office of the Williams & Connolly law firm had visited Mr. Hall and Jefferson District Attorney David Thomas earlier that year and had attempted to persuade Mr. Hall and Mr. Thomas to dismiss the indictment of Mr. Craig A. Lewis, an employee of the Globe, a supermarket tabloid. Also at the meeting, Mr. Hall indicated that the ultimate objective of the Lewis prosecution was to bring criminal charges against Globe executives who shared responsibility for the illegal actions of Mr. Lewis.
    4. On September 29, 2000, I met with Mr. Bob Brown, an investigator for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. Also present at the meeting was my wife, Priscilla Brown White. At that meeting, Mr. Brown stated that Mr. Kendall had visited the Jefferson County District Attorney in June 2000 for the purpose of persuading the District Attorney to dismiss the indictment of Mr. Lewis.
    5. On September 17, 2001 I attended a meeting at the Jefferson County District Attorney’s office. The people present at the meeting were my wife, Priscilla Brown White, Denver lawyer Craig R. Truman, Jefferson County District Attorney David Thomas; and Jefferson County Deputy District Attorney Charles Tingle. The meeting was held in a conference room at the Jefferson County District Attorney’s office. At that meeting, the 1999 indictments of Thomas C. Miller and Craig A. Lewis by the Jefferson County grand jury were discussed by those present. During the course of that discussion, I recall asking Mr. Thomas why, in November 2000, his office chose to dismiss charges against Mr. Lewis in consideration of a $100,000 payment by Globe International to the University of Colorado School of Journalism and Mass Communication. I recall Mr. Thomas stating that the decision to dismiss the charges against Mr. Lewis was made in order to avoid a lengthy and expensive prosecution. I also recall him describing a meeting with lawyers representing Mr. Lewis and including “Bill Clinton’s attorney†who I assumed to be Mr. Kendall.
    I clearly recall Mr. Thomas stating that one of the lawyers present at that meeting attempted to persuade him to dismiss the indictment of Mr. Lewis by threatening Mr. Thomas with reprisals

Affidavit of Fleet Russell White, Jr.
    Page Two

Having to do with Mr. Thomas’ career and work that Mr. Thomas might seek in the future.
    Further the Affiant sayeth not.
    Date: October 22, 2002

Fleet Russell White, Jr.

SUBSCRIBED AND SWORN to before me by Fleet Russell White, Jr. this 22nd day of October 2002

AFFIDAVIT OF PRISCILLA BROWN WHITE

The undersigned hereby swears and affirms as follows:

1. My name is Priscilla Brown White
    2. I reside at (address redacted)
    3. On September 29, 2000, I met with Mr. Bob Brown, an investigator for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. Also present at the meeting was my husband, Fleet Russell White, Jr. At that meeting, Mr. Brown stated that Mr. David Kendall, a lawyer with the Washington D.C. office of the Williams & Connelly law firm had visited the Jefferson County District Attorney in June 2000 for the purpose of persuading the District Attorney to dismiss the December 1999 Jefferson County grand jury indictment of Mr. Craig Lewis, an employee of the Globe, a supermarket tabloid.

4. On September 17, 2001, I attended a meeting at the Jefferson County District Attorney’s office. The people present at the meeting were my husband, Fleet Russell White, Jr.; his lawyer, Craig R. Truman, Jefferson County District Attorney David Thomas; and Jefferson County Deputy District Attorney Charles Tingle. The meeting was held in a conference room at the Jefferson County District Attorney’s office. At that meeting, the December 1999 indictments of Thomas C. Miller and Craig Lewis by the Jefferson County grand jury were discussed by those present. During the course of that discussion, I recall my husband asking Mr. Thomas why his office chose to dismiss charges against Mr. Lewis in consideration of a $100,000 payment by Globe International to the University of Colorado School of Journalism and Mass Communication. I recall Mr. Thomas explaining that it was a financial decision and that prosecuting Mr. Lewis could take another three years. I also recall Mr. Thomas stating that he had been visited by five lawyers who attempted to persuade Mr. Thomas to dismiss the charges against Mr. Lewis and the Globe. I also recall Mr. Thomas revealing to use that one of the lawyers attending the meeting was “Bill Clinton’s attorney.â€. At the meeting, I noted that Mr. Thomas stating that one of the five lawyers “told him he (Mr. Thomas) will no longer work again anywhere†if Mr. Thomas continued his prosecution of Mr. Lewis and the Globe. I also noted Mr. Thomas stating: “I’m a small town DA and these five attorneys, Bill Clinton’s attorney – I wasn’t intimidated. I mean I don’t think I was intimidated.â€

Further the Affiant sayeth not.

Date: October 22, 2002

Priscilla Brown White

ATTACHED TO AFFIDAVIT OF PRISCILLA BROWN WHITE
    DATED OCTOBER 22, 2002

SUBSCRIBED AND SWORN to me by Priscilla Brown White this 22nd day of October 2002

WITNESS MY HAND AND OFFICIAL SEAL

Notary Public (not legible)

OFFICE OF THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY
    FIRST JUDICIAL DISTRICT
    Jefferson and Gilpin Counties
    DAVID J. THOMAS
    DISTRICT ATTORNEY

October 23, 2002

Fleet Russell White, Jr.
    (address redacted)

Dear Mr. White,

I received your letter dated October 22, 2002, regarding the case of People v. Craig Lewis. In it you request that I conduct an investigation and possibly charge individuals with violations of CRS 18-8-306. In your attached affidavits you attribute certain statements to me. I remember the discussion quite well. I also remember the meeting I had with Mr. Kendall and other attorneys. At no time did I believe that they were attempting to influence me in a way that violated Colorado criminal statutes. They were aggressive and attempting to be persuasive but nothing in their conduct breached ethics or Colorado statutes. They did refer to the fact that no other District Attorney had taken such action against the Globe or its staff and that it may reflect badly on my office and upon myself. At no time do I recall them telling me that I would “no longer work again anywhere.†It is not uncommon for defense counsel to discuss with me the community standard, the public image aspects of our decisions and how decisions might reflect upon me as an elected official. The statute requires that the attempt to influence a public servant be by means “of deceit or by threat of violence or economic reprisal…â€. Such was not the case in this instance.

The meeting to which you refer occurred with the respective attorneys almost two years ago. The meeting I had with you was more than a year ago. It is hard to fathom what has prompted you to contact me at this point in time. I respectfully decline to conduct an investigation or to seek a special prosecutor.

Sincerely,

David J. Thomas
    District Attorney

2. Kangatruth

Kangatruth Member

fantastic sleuthing guys !! way to go.. some where in the public records of Colorado University is a time bomb....tick tick ticking away !! a silent sentinel to the skullduggerry perpetrated years before..

i wonder if those poor sods have any idea of their discovery ??.. what is it they say...youlie...then have to lie twice more to cover the first ., then twice more again to cover the new lies and so on until yo have forgotten entirely where the truth lay in the first place..
    me thinks they are to be reminded... the web of lies and deceit is slowly disolving ...as i suggested elsewhere...the fissures in the dam are starting to spring forth water....justa drizzle at present... but its hard to contain a breaking dam :))))..
    am sure if someone highlighted to Calhoun this lie of Tracey's and threw the bone in the right direction that more might be found...further putting the miserable lot on their collective back feet..

some ppl ought to be sleeping unsettled tonight...that is they ought to be....they just arent aware yet are they !! lol

3. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Follow the Money...

...right into the Molerat's hole.

4. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

Tracey is taking the university, his students and his docu audience for a ride....if these people don't care how this money is spent then send some to me......................

I can waste money just as easily as the nutty professor.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice