Where's Johnny?

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Spade, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee FFJ Senior Member

Specifically, you asked how other Christians (perhaps you're thinking of the Ramseys) "reconciled their litigiousness with their Christianity." The answer is ... they can't if they are truly living a Christian example.

The Ramseys "used" their Christianity like a country club membership card. They didn't live its precepts. They were able to rationalize everything they did because THEY were their own god.

2. BluesStrat

BluesStrat BANNED !!!!!

That's an oxymoron, Jayelles. A conscript is "drafted" or "forced" into service, not "accepted". I do however, believe you could consider the children of the Amish to be "conscripts".

If you research the Amish you'll find that they just don't live a simple life, they are a bunch of whackos who take the Bible to the extreme. Their children only get an 8th grade education, and they still believe the Earth is flat because the Bible mentions it's "four corners".

There was a "20/20" news show on a couple months that detailed the case of an Amish girl who had her 3 brothers arrested for raping her over a period of years. The Amish community was clearly behind the 3 brothers at their trial because of what their sister was putting them through. You might want to read about it here: http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=316371&page=1

3. Paradox

Paradox Banned for Stupidity by RiverRat

Kinda tough to figure out what "Good" is, isn't it?

4. Elle

Elle Member

Oh this is absolutely horrendous, Blues. How could the rest of the Amish families allow this to happen to this poor girl, Mary Byler? I have visited the Amish village in Pennsylvania. I think this may have been the one used for the movie "Witness" with Kelly McGillis playing the Amish mother of the little boy who witnessed the murder. It was such a beautiful little village, but we don't know enough about how they really live, do we?

5. goddess

goddess Member

LMAO!

6. goddess

goddess Member

Even b etter choice. BTW, I really do not like KH at all.

7. Texan

Texan FFJ Senior Member

I think that every religion has some people that do not live the principles of that religion. I think it would be unfair to judge all amish people on the basis of this incident.
    Yes, it was horribly wrong and ruined the lives of two young girls and more should have been done to put an end to it and to prevent it from happening to more young girls. We probably don't have the entire picture of what was done by the Amish leaders to stop the abuse but in this country we are subject to laws that must be upheld by all.
    Having said that though, I admire the amish for sticking to their beliefs when it must be a difficult religion to live. I know I couldn't live the way they do - I love to jump in my car and go where I want to go, I enjoy using my microwave and t.v. I use my telephone and cell phone in excess! Nope, I am a wimp and couldn't be amish.

8. heymom

heymom Member

Thank you Texan! You said it so well, when I was going to start foaming at the mouth and writhing on the floor. The Amish people are not a cult. But their lives and their beliefs are almost alient to our generation of constant consumers and "me before everything" psychology. As I have read about them over the years, they do have problems with their young people seeing the lifestyle of the larger culture and responding to it. But that happens in every religious community.

Anyway I'll hush now. Thanks again for responding!

Heymom

9. Paradox

It is not necessary to punctuate tv with two periods. It is not an acronym or initialism. It is an abbreviation. tv or tv. is acceptable.

10. YumYum012

YumYum012 Member

Paradox ... my punctuation an' spellin' must drive you absolutely NUTZ!!! :D

...YumYum

11. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

Talk about unnecessary.....

:gavel:

12. Paradox

cult 1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies. 2 an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing. 5. a group having a sacred idealolgy and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols. 6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremeist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.

religion 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs. 3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices.

Q. What's the diffenece between a religion and a cult?

A. God only knows.

13. Paradox

Short drive.

14. YumYum012

YumYum012 Member

... I don't even hafta drive ... I have permanent residence. :D

...YumYum

15. Paradox

The famous sign-off acronym/initialism S.B.T.C is puntuated with periods, as is F.B.I. in the ransom note.

More often than not, initialisms are not punctuated.

In Muriel Spark's works, initialisms are punctuated with periods. She even makes the mistake of capitalizing and punctuating T.V.

Just ... thought .. I'd ... point ... that ... out. :winkaway:

16. YumYum012

YumYum012 Member

Paradox ... I just wanna make it clear that I wasn't being critical. I appreciate your insights.

...YumYum

17. heymom

heymom Member

Q. What's the difference between psychiatry and religion?

A. Freud only knows, but I hear he's talking to God about it right now.

18. tylin

tylin Banned

Paradox,
    Were you ummmm.....nevermind.
    :laughup: :crosseyed :rolling:

19. Spade

Spade Member

Paradox

deleted

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  20. Paradox

Freud only knows. I like that.

Freud! Oh, Freud! Freud you. (just and example)

Freud is a four letter word.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice