Media Coverage

Discussion in 'The Search for Rachel Cooke' started by RC, May 16, 2002.

1. LurkerXIV

LurkerXIV Moderator

Ya done good, girl!

There's no such thing as bad publicity. This article shows that people think enough of Rachel and her parents to travel a long distance to help in whatever way they can. Wish I could be there with all of you. I'll be praying that you have excellent weekend weather for the search and the dinner.

Nice plug for the forum!

2. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

It is a great article

I think they covered everything well. The media always has to have a new angle to report on. Like Moab said, they got the facts right and that is what is most important and it got Rachel back in the newspaper!

BTW, Verna Lee Carr is not going to be able to make it Saturday night but her boss, Thomas Anne Hines is coming in her place. Thomas Anne is a woman (just so you know) and is the Director of People Against Violent Crime. http://www.main.org/pavc/home.htm

Other good news is that Verna Lee invited Rusty Hoberts who is the Director of Justice For All. http://www.jfa.net/ Mr Hobert has accepted and will attend.

3. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

JR I can't see one thing wrong with this article.

It's a new angle. Like RC said that is what the press wants.

Look we have to play their (the media) game.

To keep Rachel in the news you need a new angle. To have a new angle written about, the press, will have to focus on the new angle. The new angle can't be a secondary. Do you see what I am saying?

I am not saying it's right. Not at all.

Remember JR the media have to have a source for their own credibility. The writer can't say "an unnamed FFJ member". If you don't want you name used then you have to have someone else make the phone calls.

I know you don't like it when the Smart case is mentioned but it's a new angle. Also it ties Rachel to a huge nationwide case. That is a good thing. Just think if everytime the Smart case was mentioned we could somehow get Rachel mentioned too.

If we were not coming down this weekend how would you expect the media to cover the search you and others will be doing? What could the media say about the search that is different from what has already been written? The answer is nothing.

You would think the tragic disappearance of such a wonderful young woman like Rachel would be enough for every time there was a search. You shouldn't have to use angles.

However that is not reality.

JR if I were you I would plan on writing a letter to the editor thanking the paper for it's coverage. I would also suggest anyone involved in the search do the same.

The people in the media are our friends. We need them. We love them. We must love them. We need them to keep Rachel in the news. We will not let them forget her. For God's sake this is every parents worst nightmare. You would think that would be enough to keep Rachel on the front page...but it's not.

It's up to use to help the media do their job. In return they will help us. The end will justify the means. I promise.

RC I am very much looking forward to meeting you and your family. Thank you for helping arrange the dinner. The people who are coming from other organizations sound so wonderful. It is going to be an amazing event.

Tricia

4. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Tricia

I think you misunderstand. I have no problems with Elizabeth Smart being mentioned at all. In fact I think it would be wonderful for Laura, Jahi and all our missing to be mentioned. Each and ever time Rachel's name is linked to Elizabeth's then Rachel will come up for those searching for news on Elizabeth. IMHO, this doesn't take anything away from either missing girl.

I had just hoped to downplay FFJ a bit more and focus more on:

1) The search for Rachel (and Elizabeth)
    2) The need for volunteers (in searches)

The article does flow very nicely and is well written IMHO. Oh yes, and I like the font of the article title! It only made page 3 but that was the editor's call and it's closer to page 1 than some articles have been.

Have I told all of you FFJ'ers how wonderful I think you are for agreeing to help? Each and everyone of you and that includes those being supportive be it searching, through donations or just cheering us on are my heros. Each and everyone of you are the "wind beneath my wings." In other words, thank you.

Now...

Let's bring Rachel, Elizabeth, Laura, Jahi, Alexis, Ashley, Miranda and all our missing home!

5. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

Press annoucement

This Saturday, May 29, at 6:00 p.m., there will be a
    Victims' Rights Dinner, attended by Robert and Janet
    Cooke, parents of Rachel Cooke, at Pappasitos's
    Cantina, 6513 N.IH35 in Austin.

Among those in attendance will be Thomas Ann Hines,
    director of People Against Violent Crime; Lori Bible, sister
    of Colleen Reed; and members of ForumsforJustice.Org, a
    proactive internet discussion group, including several of its
    members from California and Utah. The two Utah attendees
    helped search for Elizabeth Smart.

Please call Robert Cooke at (xxx) xxx-xxxx for further details.

6. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

press coverage

People Against Violent Crime has offerred the use of their office to do a press conference before the dinner. I think that we should take advantage of this. The environment will be better and then we can eat in peace. PAVC is only a block away from Pappasitos.

We can talk about this tonight at the meeting.

7. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Good news RC!

Seems there's some press momentum going this week. Perhaps they will do a follow-up next week to see if this week gained more volunteers. My suggestion would be to see if Aunt Elaine can get the Taylor incident included. It sure died down in a hurry press wise and we can't let that happen either IMHO.

I think the PAVC office is a good idea too though Pappasitos might not...

VP, IMHO, the Calif. and Utah mention was simply to tie in Elizabeth.

8. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

Houston Support

I gave this to my sister over the phone to type up and I neglected to include Houston. It was my mistake and I appreciate everyone's support. It is best to have as many people from as many locations available.

Am I missing any other locations?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2002
  9. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

press ocnference

Robert Cooke has announced there will be a press conference at 5:15 p.m. Saturday, May 29, before the Victims' Rights Dinner at Pappasito's Cantina.

The location is the office of People Against Violent Crime, 1033 La Posada Dr., Suite 305, Austin. La Posada is the street between the Doubletree Hotel and Pappadeaux Restaurant on N.IH35, and the office is at the end of the block on the right.

10. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

11. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

I just saw you and Janet on CNN

12. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Dang BobC

Don't dangle that and not tell us what was said! I called RC about your post and gave him your number in case he couldn't find it quickly.

Ummm...RC's exact words were, "Holy ****!"

13. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

Sorry-- I have company! shawn was just flicking through the channels and there was Janet and Robert! I just saw the very tail-end!

14. Tricia

Tricia Administrator Staff Member

ARRRGGGGGHHHH BobC...was it CNN Headline or CNN News.

Off to search the web sites.

15. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

CNN

I keep searching their site with different topics and so far haven't found anything on-line. If anyone sees something, please post the link for us!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2002
  16. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

CNN

I think that in Austin Cable CNN allows a short time for local news to do an update. I think it was the News 8 story that Bobc saw, not an accual CNN story.

17. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

Rachel on FBI home page

Rachel has been placed on the bottom of the FBI home page:

http://www.fbi.gov

18. Moab

Moab Admin Staff Member

Bout flippin time...but I am glad the FBI has taken this necessary step, for that, I am grateful !!!

19. RC

RC FFJ Senior Member

Austin PD SAR Training

My wife Janet and I spoke to the second Austin PD Search and Rescue class this last Saturday. Our friend Officier Mintion is in charge of the training and wanted us to talk about our experiences as victims.

KEYE, the local CBS station, did an interview with us at the meeting.

20. JR

JR FFJ Senior Member

Sister of Austin murder victim helps Cooke family

From the Williamson County Sun, Sunday July 21, 2002. (To be ontinued below)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice