Midyette's Prepare for Defense

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by RiverRat, May 10, 2007.

1. RiverRat

RiverRat FFJ Sr. Member Extraordinaire (Pictured at Lef

denver & the west
    Defense wants more time
    Attorneys for parents indicted in infant's death seek weeks to prepare
    By John Ingold Denver Post Staff Writer
    The Denver Post
    Article Last Updated:05/09/2007 11:44:41 PM MDT

Boulder - Prosecutors and attorneys for two parents charged with killing their 10-week-old son traded barbs Wednesday over how long the defense should have to review grand jury records.

Alex and Molly Midyette remained silent in their first court appearance, a day after the couple were indicted on multiple counts of child abuse resulting in death. The Mid yettes' son, Jason, died in March 2006 from what the coroner determined was a head injury. Doctors also found more than 20 broken bones in various stages of healing in the baby - fractures that several doctors characterized as being associated with abuse.

The Midyettes, who now live in Erie, have said they did not harm their child, and one of their attorneys has said the baby showed no bruising or other outward signs typical of abuse when he died.

Neither the Midyettes nor their attorneys offered any comment after the hearing.

The attorneys at Wednesday's hearing were their most animated when they argued a request by defense attorney Paul McCormick, who represents Alex Midyette, to allow several weeks for the defense attorneys to review the voluminous grand jury transcripts they expect to receive shortly.

Boulder Chief Deputy District Attorney Ken Kupfner argued such a delay would slow down the case too much.

"We could be looking at six to nine months before we're even setting a trial date," he said.

"That," said defense attorney Craig Truman, who represents Molly Midyette, "would be almost as long as the grand jury had this case, your honor."

"They've had this case 15 months, your honor," McCormick added, referring to the total length of the investigation. "They expect us to have our case ready in a couple of weeks. That's not fair."

Judge Lael E. Montgomery set a July 10 hearing to see how defense attorneys are progressing.

Also at the hearing Wednesday, Montgomery made two slight modifications to the conditions of the Midyettes' bail. She permitted them to wear GPS monitoring bracelets instead of undergoing electronic home surveillance, which one defense attorney compared to house arrest. And Montgomery amended a prohibition against contact with children to allow for supervised contact with nieces and nephews over 2 years old.

McCormick said the couple are not a flight risk.

"They are here for the long haul," he said during the hearing. "They're not going anywhere."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5857680?source=rss

Attached Files:

2. RiverRat

Rmn

May 10, 2007
    BOULDER - A judge loosened the reins Wednesday on a couple accused of child abuse in the death of their infant son, allowing them to be monitored via ankle bracelets instead of being confined to their Erie home.

Boulder District Judge Lael Montgomery also relaxed a second order by District Judge Roxanne Bailin, who presided over a grand jury that returned seven indictments against the pair on Tuesday. Bailin had ordered that Molly and Alex Midyette not have any contact with children under 18.

Montgomery said the pair can see three of their nieces and nephews if an adult is with them, but can't see the youngest, an 8-week-old baby, even if an adult is present.

She kept in place Bailin's order that the couple must surrender their passports and can't possess any weapons.

Jason Midyette was 10 weeks old when he was brought to Boulder Community Hospital last year with a fractured skull and 22 broken bones. A nurse there called it one of the worst cases she had seen in her 27 years in the profession.

Jason was the grandson of J. Nold Midyette, a prominent Boulder architect who has considerable real estate holdings in the city.

Alex Midyette posted bond of $750,000 and his wife of $500,000.

Alex Midyette is charged with knowingly and recklessly causing injury to Jason that resulted in his death. Jason died March 3, 2006, a week after his parents took him first to his doctor, then to the emergency room.

Alex Midyette also faces two charges of putting Jason in a threatening situation and one count of engaging in a pattern of conduct that resulted in malnourishment, lack of medical care, cruelty, mistreatment or an accumulation of injuries.

Molly Midyette doesn't face a charge of knowingly or recklessly causing injury that led to death, but faces the other three charges.

Defense lawyers Craig Truman and Paul McCormick argued in court that their clients have shown they want to confront and challenge the charges, and therefore pose no flight risk.

Montgomery, in turn, agreed to modify the electronic house monitoring, but said the pair must wear the ankle bracelets that allow police to know where they are at all times.

In challenging Bailin's order that the couple couldn't be in contact with anyone under 18, McCormick said, "It's a close- knit family. If you don't let Alex and Molly see their siblings' children, you're really setting them apart from their siblings, too."

Jason Midyette was born four weeks prematurely on Dec. 17, 2005. He was kept in the hospital a week.

A general practitioner, Dr. Jill Siegfried, saw the infant several times but never observed any serious injuries. But when Jason's parents brought him to her office on Feb. 24, she directed them to take him to the emergency room. There, doctors saw indications of brain injury and, after a scan, found that he had numerous bone fractures.

Two friends of the Midyettes told the grand jury they saw bruises on Jason, both times when Alex Midyette was caring for Jason by himself.

Jason was taken off life support on March 1, 2006, and died on March 3. His brain was sent to a lab at the University of New Mexico, where a pathologist said he found evidence of traumatic injuries of various age, indicating that the contusions happened over time.

The grand jury also heard the following:

Jason had a bad night on Feb. 23, while Alex Midyette was caring for him. He had a crying spell, made funny noises, held his breath and stiffened up.

Molly Midyette told her co-workers on Feb. 24 that she was worried about Jason's "seizures," his tendency to tighten up, clench his fists and scrunch his face, and his difficulty breathing.

When the couple took Jason to Siegfried's office, she saw that the child was "gray, limp and lethargic."

At Boulder Community Hospital Foothills, the parents told nurses that Jason was fine 12 hours before, but had gotten progressively worse.

During the next several days the couple reiterated that Jason hadn't fallen or hadn't been dropped, but did say that he'd always had a limp left arm.

Siegfried said the parents never mentioned anything to her about problems with the boy's left arm.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5529209,00.html

Attached Files:

3. RiverRat

Still together?

Attached Files:

4. Barbara

Barbara FFJ Senior Member

A couple of hits on my crack pipe, collect my baseball bat and STUN GUN , and I can save the taxpayers a lot of money. However, I would like to have the opportunity to "try" them over time, just like Jason

TRIAL BY ME :viking:

THEN, I can get out on bail for say....$5.00, $10.00?

5. RiverRat

I've got it covered......

This 21/2 month old tiny child was not only beat to death, he was also as drugged out of his mind as his "parents" were/are. Mary KeenanLacyTracey REFUSES to instill fear in the hearts of Boulderites so we should all be prepared to read another heartbreaking story coming out of them mountains.

6. 1000 Sparks

1000 Sparks Active Member

?????????????????????

"The Midyettes, who now live in Erie, have said they did not harm their child, and one of their attorneys has said the baby showed no bruising or other outward signs typical of abuse when he died."

WHAT? and the doctors made it up?????????????

7. Amber

Amber Member

Are they going to claim he broke his bones 27 times through epilepsy? Are they claiming he had a stroke hence the limp left arm? Are we stil in Kansas? :beammeup:

8. RiverRat

Why did they have to tranquilize him then?!

9. koldkase

koldkase FFJ Senior Member

Oh no, Barbara. Touch a hair on the head of the rich child killers of Boulder, and they'd have you strung up and hanged by sundown.

I cannot believe the nerve, the pure evil of this pair of demons. I can't even express how absolutely horrific they are to me. Arrogant, unrepentent in the TORTURE AND MURDER OF THEIR OWN CHILD.

It's just not possible for me to comprehend what kind of human beings these are. They should be locked up and locked down, IMO. But if their equally clueless family wants to offer up the REST of their children to these horrors, then the judge seems to think that's a good thing. So be it. Poor kids.

Boulder. They really do put no value on children, do they?

10. koldkase

Yeah, it's a conspiracy! The pathologist is in on it, too!

Is there ANY FOOL on this earth who couldn't figure out that the tiny baby with the limp arm having seizures HAD BRAIN DAMAGE ALREADY? Molly Midyette has a LAW DEGREE: DO THEY HAND THOSE OUT TO MENTALLY INCOMPETENTS NOW?

Well, that would explain a lot. Maybe that's what's happening to the criminal justice system in Boulder.

11. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

I got my monthly haircut yesterday afternoon. When I got there, a little boy was in the chair getting his hair trimmed. His mother sat in one of the chairs with a baby carrier at her feet. Of course, I drooled all over myself looking at that baby. Finally, when I couldn't stand it any more, I got up and asked the mother if I could see her baby. Soon the baby and I were giggling and playing, and my heart felt as if it would explode with joy. Sometimes I wish I could go back and relive my own children when they were babies. They were something special to me to be protected and nourished, and always they filled my heart with awe. Babies, to me, are as close to heaven we will ever get on this earth.

I don't understand people who can break a baby's bones or shake them or handle them roughly. I never have understood it, and I never will. And, I have no mercy on anyone who hurts a baby.

12. JoeJame

JoeJame member

They may claim he has "autopsy".....

13. Tez

Tez Member

Oh WY, I know!!! My granddaughter will be born in about five weeks, and I just can't understand how someone could shake a baby or hurt a baby in any way. I hope there is a special place in "Hell" for these two.

14. heymom

heymom Member

In challenging Bailin's order that the couple couldn't be in contact with anyone under 18, McCormick said, "It's a close- knit family. If you don't let Alex and Molly see their siblings' children, you're really setting them apart from their siblings, too."

Yeah, so close-knit that no one in the $#(*%& family stood up for Jason, against the monsters that his parents turned out to be. Afraid, are they? Oh, that's right, "close-knit" only means they close ranks around the baby-killers, kind of like the Ramseys and the Paughs did.

I say again that if one of my kids ever did anything to one of my grandchildren (future), they would have a reason to fear for their own lives. You don't hurt babies or children and get away with it, I don't care who you are or how you are related to me. Something like this, and I would be in the BPD and DA's office permanently, demanding that my son be put away or put to death, especially to keep him out of society permanently. Of course it would break my heart, that's a given, but to let something like this happen and then NEVER SAY A WORD??? That says it all about people like this. They are sellouts, they have SOLD THEIR SOULS FOR MONEY. Because isn't that what it amounts to? What else would they keep quiet for, except to save their fortune and their "good name?" Money is the root of many evils, and you can't serve two masters, God and money. People like this have long since overcome any thoughts of right and wrong, good and evil, etc.

Meanwhile, I guess all of Boulder agrees with Mary Lacy, that rich people should go free, no matter what their crime. I hate everyone in Boulder, especially J. Nold Midyette. He could come out and condemn his son and do the right thing. Not a word.

15. koldkase

Heymom, on another thread I posted some Daily Camera article responses from Boulderites and they say...of course, it's gossip...that J. Nold Midyette TRAINED his son to be a BULLY for his company.

THAT'S WHY ALEX MIDYETTE TURNED INTO A BABY KILLER, IMO. HIS FATHER TRAINED HIM TO DO IT.

And whom do you think J. Nold Midyette was CODDLING and instructing his son to bully for? None other than John Ramsey after JonBenet's murder, if the gossip is true. Midyette gave John Ramsey a private office in his building during the press saturation. Access Graphic was one of Midyette's big real estate clients, according to the Boulder comments on the news website.

Think about that. If what the articles and people say is true, Midyette protected his client John Ramsey when Ramsey ran from LE and abandoned his own dead, abused daughter...and a decade later Midyette's baby grandson dies of abuse at the hands of his own family.

Talk about the KARMA TRAIN....

16. koldkase

That will be what jams will argue when she takes up the cause of the INNOCENT MIDYETTES BEING LYNCHED.

17. Barbara

I'm sure she is "on it" already

At least LP was vicious and defended baby killers for free; Jams ALWAYS charged for defending baby killers

18. tylin

tylin Banned

I came up with a way to make this work out very nicely.
    Frist, send the mom and pop baby abusers/baby murderers to Texas.... they'll be accompanied by Lacy of course. Have a good ole Texas posse waiting for them at the airport. The good ole boys and girls of Texas will take the baby murderers out to the country.... To a nice big tree that has big ole branches. Ropes will be provided free of charge.

Seriously, this makes me sick. From the 2nd article:
    :wtf: Ya think their attny needs to read the autopsy report?
    Bunch of ###^%%^ Boulder idiots.

19. tylin

tylin Banned

I feel certain there's a special place for them in Hell.
    I can think of a few famous people who are just keeping the seat warm for the murdering scumbags.

20. Barbara

I came up with a way to work this out nicely too

Bring them all to BROOKLYN; end of story; they'll never be found! :did:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice