Need Help with Court TV information.

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Twitch, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Twitch

Twitch Active Member

Either Friday or Saturday night of this week I awoke from a cold tablet induced sound sleep to catch a portion of a Court TV program (maybe I Detective?) which documented the case of a man(they even named him) who had used a garotte in the commission of his crimes. They stated he used the garotte to subdue his victim...to take her to unconsciousness and bring her back.

Did anyone else see this program? Can you fill me in on the program and/or the name of the killer?

Thanks. I did a search on the Court TV site and came up empty.

2. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

Here ya go

www.courttv.com/news/hiddentraces/ yalem/yalem_page2.html

A White T-Shirt, a Familiar Face

When Yalem had not returned to her dorm by 9:30 that night, her roommates called campus police to report that she had gone running on the Ellicott Creek bicycle path alone and was long overdue. Police and a small group of students organized by Yalem's boyfriend used flashlights to check the bike path for signs of the missing jogger.

A light rain was falling when they called it a night at about 11:30 p.m.

At daybreak, 15 campus police officers and 11 from Amherst's force began searching for Yalem in earnest. Police enlisted bloodhounds and a helicopter.

Even as they searched wooded areas and the banks of Ellicott Creek, some officers wondered if he had struck again.

It had been four months since the last known attack. A 32-year-old woman had been beaten and sexually assaulted along the path. Joggers investigating the sound of someone moaning found the woman, a married advertising executive, in a clearing about 50 feet in the woods near the 2.7-mile marker on the bicycle path. She was barely alive.

The victim was unconscious for more than six hours, and doctors were unsure if she would ever wake up. When she finally came to, she told police that she could not recall anything that happened after some sort of rope or cord was wrapped around her neck by an attacker she did not see.

The garrote, which rendered the woman unconscious by briefly cutting off the supply of blood to her brain, left deep impressions in the victim's neck. Two of them.

Police had seen ligature marks like those before.

In August 1989, a 14-year-old Amherst girl on her way to cheerleading practice at Sweet Home High School was dragged off the bicycle path near the 5.3-mile marker and raped. Three months earlier, a 15-year-old high school student was raped in a similar manner in Buffalo. There was one victim in 1988, another 16-year-old high school student raped in the same area of Buffalo. The first two victims — a 44-year-old jogger in Buffalo and a 17-year-old high school student in Hamburg, respectively — were attacked a month apart in 1986. (MAP)

Because the rapist had never killed, as far as investigators knew, the police officers searching the bicycle path for Linda Yalem on Sept. 30, 1990, were hoping that either he had not struck again or that Yalem was alive but unable to summon help if he had.

Ann Brown, who hopped on a flight to Buffalo with her husband that afternoon, prayed silently as the plane left Long Island that her sister was alive.

****Continued in link, it's a good one.

3. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

This is unbelievably similar....

I implore EVERYONE to read this story, it's very similar and could have been one of the killers [many] inspirations for the cover up; I think they wanted it to look like this guy moved to Boulder from Buffalo and did it...

From the same article:
    "Because of the 1994 assault and the unsolved murder of Linda Yalem, the popular television program "Unsolved Mysteries" profiled the case in February 1996."

AND

"Police still run down tips that come in whenever the "Unsolved Mysteries" episode is rebroadcast, but the rapist who struck eight times in Buffalo and Amherst has not been heard from since 1994."

4. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

This is the case

That I watched on some forensic programme last year and was struck by the use of the garotte. I couldn't remember the names of the people involved to post about it later.

5. Twitch

Twitch Active Member

Thanks alot, Justin.

This is very interesting. Surely someone has investigated this before? There are some similarities. Court TV has the garotte fashioned in a similar way to the Ramsey one, but with a less sophisticated knot.

6. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

Your welcome Twitch,:)

I wondered the same thing...

Does anyone here know how to get the TV listings, for Boulder or Atlanta? I was just wondering how many times this aired in 1996, I know Unsolved Mysteries aired in Feb. '96 and it was mentioned in the same article that police recieved thousands of tips as the result of the program, they said tips still poured in when they re-ran the episode; is this information possible to find?

Thanks

7. purr

purr Active Member

ask Jann Scott who lives in Boulder..

he has his own TV show.....in Boulder.

he would have contacts who could find
    out for you.

and if you dont know........
    he also has an online journal......on his web site,
    and he KNOWS something is hinky
    with the Ramsey murder case.

purr

Attached Files:

8. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

Re: ask Jann Scott who lives in Boulder..

Thanks Purr,

I know who Jann Scott is and his interest in the Ramsey case, I just was wondering if there was a place I could visit that had the information posted; I don't want to inconvenience anyone, I just want to see if the killer intentionally did things a certain way to make it look as though the man responsible for the New York State Bike Path rapes and killing had moved to Boulder. He has not struck since 1994 and authorities have several different theories as to why he didn't strike for so long in between each attack, one is that he lived out of state and only had family ties in the area; he could have committed each attack on a family visit. He also could have just been 'starting out' and only attacking when he got an urge, when he killed the young woman he could have felt the urge to move to another area and continue there; Thats what I want to figure out, not that I think he's involved.

Thanks again:)

9. Elle

Elle Member

Thanks for finding the Court TV information JIC. I just live across the river from Buffalo, and this news gives me the creeps. I do remember hearing about this before.

Here's the Boulder Chamber of Commerce e-mail address. Maybe you can ask them for some help with the TV listings.

info@boulderchamber.com

10. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

It's terrifying isn't it? I live smack dab in the middle of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka's homes (before they were married) even knowing that a serial rapist/murderer used my city as a short cut to get to Karla's house every weekend while they were dating- give's me chills.

Thanks for the link, I'll try it instead of the 'episode guide' I found that doesn't say anything about Unsolved Mysteries airing a show about the Bike Path killings, and this guide apparently starts right from the beginning in 1987 (I think) :confused:

I just couldn't get over the similarities about things being used, duct tape, cord, rope, a knife in some cases, the way the victims were physically assaulted...

Boy there are some crazy people in this world...:rolleyes:

11. Elle

Elle Member

Paul Bernardo

JIC,

I knew you were in Canada but didn't know you were so close to me. I remember the murders of Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffey. I did see the Pink house that Kristen was tortured in
    before it was bulldozed.

I can see why the JonBenét case made you think of these young teenagers being killed. Bernardo and Homolka were monsters.
    When it's close to home, its frightening, isn't it? I hope you have some success from the Boulder Chamber of Commerce.

Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo were such a lovely young couple to look at, and who would have thought of the evil which lived within them both?

I once posted I thought the Ramsey home should have been bulldozed like the Bernardo's house. Of course, Karla and Paul only rented that home. It was the owner who said no one else would ever live in it again. I see they have flowers there in that corner.

It was all so sad. Kristen French was such a beautiful young girl. To think Bernardo could have been arrested a long time ago when he had been a suspect in a rape case in Scarborough. Frustrating, isn't it?

Take care of yourself out there, won't you, and be very careful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice