The Newsbreaker by Larry Garrison

Discussion in 'Justice for JonBenet Discussion - Public Forum' started by Greenleaf, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Greenleaf

Greenleaf FFJ Senior Member

Talk about yellow journalism, get a load of this.
    (No wonder the public is so confused.)
    I would like to see Tricia respond to Garrison's article. I will just quote the part, ref. the Ramsey case here:

But, here's the URL for the entire article.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/Books/story?id=2406142&page=1

Sept. 7. 2006

"Ten years ago, in December 1996, the nation first heard the name of six-year-old Jon Benet Ramsey, who was found murdered in her upper-middle-class home in Colorado. The case soon became the subject of household conversation, due to the amount of coverage it received. Before this, the job of the news agencies was to report only the facts, but something changed with the Ramsey case. The media took it upon themselves to play jury. Instead of simply reporting the evidence, reporters analyzed it on-air and drew conclusions as to what might have happened. No one came out and said that the child's parents killed her, but almost every update to the story made sure that the public knew that the parents were the prime suspects.

When new evidence was brought to light, the media would spin it to seem more damning to Jon Benet's mother and father. If evidence was introduced that might lead people to believe the parents were not guilty, it was downplayed. With the barrage of reports and the loss of true objectivity, the media, in short, passed judgment on John and Patsy Ramsey and destroyed what remained of their tragic lives. The media reports that Patsy was jealous of her daughter and trying to live her failed modeling career through Jon Benet was sickening. It was almost as if the news agencies were trying to establish a motive to support their suspicions. Reporting quickly changed to speculation and became cruel.

I spoke with the Ramseys in the early part of 1997. We discussed the possibility of doing a book to strengthen their case in the public eye, but at that time the media was on a witch hunt. Even though I brought plenty of information to the networks that contradicted what they were reporting, it was too late. The only thing they were interested in broadcasting was absolute proof that the parents didn't kill their daughter, or things that would increase the suspicion that they did. It is a lot harder to prove you didn't do something than to prove that you did. In my gut, I knew the Ramseys had nothing to do with their beautiful daughter's death. I remember the frustration I felt for them as we parted ways later that year.

In January 2005, DNA evidence proved that the Ramseys were not guilty. Scientific evidence showed that someone else had been in the basement of the Ramseys' home. The news magazine show 48 Hours ran the report, and a few pieces did make it to the air, but the damage was already done. The only people who truly hold the media accountable for what they report are the media, and it doesn't add to the ratings when you admit that you were wrong. For every minute of coverage the exoneration received, there were hours that implied the Ramseys' guilt.

Maybe it was with the advent of cable news. Or maybe someone just came up with the idea that if they could make the news more interesting and entertaining, more people would watch, the ratings would go up, and more money could be made. Whatever the cause, the newscast as we knew it changed. Even the stories, or types of story, have changed. Things that made page three of the local newspapers in the fifties and sixties are now part of the headlines. What middle-aged man from Middle America killed his wife and almost got away with it, or what teacher is having an affair with her
    undererage student? Things that were not considered newsworthy back then, or were just swept under the rug, have become part of the headline hype. The stories that really have no impact on the day-today lives of the majority of viewers are the very stories that they become fascinated with and have come to demand from their news.

These stories have to have someone to tell them, and that's where I come in. I represent the people who have the news that the American public is hungry for. That hunger has created my job."

Hold your nose, this is what he writes on the second page:

"Part of my job is like that of an investigative reporter/ producer/journalist — to dig through the facts and make absolutely sure the information I relay to the news agencies is accurate."

What a jerk! You really did some digging there, dummy!

:leaf:

2. Sabrina

Sabrina Member

Larry Garrison is the guy who was Dave Holloways ghostwriter for his terrible book, it was so poorly written, rambled on and on, I was embarassed for Holloway.

Then garrison makes a few media appearances on behalf of the Karr family, said he was representing them in a book deal and then later denied it.

Another buzzard who circles around high profile cases.

Hey Larry, did you hear the D.A.'s press conference? The DNA could be artifact. The Ramseys are not cleared until there is a conviction.

3. Show Me

Show Me FFJ Senior Member

If he'd get his head out of Woody's behind then he might be able to get some REAL facts.

4. Paradox

Paradox Banned for Stupidity by RiverRat

Another product of the public school sytem that graduated with a degree in self esteem.

5. Jayelles

Jayelles Alert Viewer in Scotland

I take it he hasn't really followed the Ramsey case?

6. Watching You

Watching You Superior Bee Admin

...and a 1.9999999 GPA.

7. babyboomer

babyboomer Member

Larry Garrison crawled out from under a rock last year when he was trying to shop a book by those idiotic Michael Jackson jurors who thought he was a pervy pedophile but voted him not guilty and then went crying to Rita Cosby.

I emailed him then to inform him that there was no appetite in the American public for the jurors' bilge. He begged to differ. Where's that book contract, Larry??? bwah!!!!

8. BobC

BobC Poster of the EON - Fabulous Inimitable Transcript

If this were a witchhunt, Jameson would be the one targetted.

9. The Punisher

The Punisher Member

And this guy's FRIENDS with Wendy Murphy? God!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice