Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Quote Originally Posted by koldkase

But your argument is very inconsistent on the "psychosis" of Patsy and you must know it.
    No, I don't know it. What are you talking about?

Default Correction to my post (Elle) :)

Quote Originally Posted by Elle_1 View Post
    Pamela Franklin was excellent in her part in this 1969 movie of "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie." I don't think you would be disappointed with this version. I haven't seen the 1978 version of it, but she certainly doesn't match the Sandy in the book. She actually does have very big eyes.

I suspected you might be a school teacher, rashomon, by the way you were handling the discussion with Paradox.

I think I may have had a good laugh at a teacher like Miss Brodie, had she been in my school. She was the very opposite of the teachers I had in Scotland I can well understand your contempt. However, as you said, she was just fictional. It was really quite a daring book for the New Yorker when one thinks of how really staid everything really was during that period of time.

Pamela Franklin according to the movie information on the net was just 19 years old when she played the 12 year old Sandy Stranger.

No, I never had any manipulative teachers like Miss Brodie at my school when I was young many moons ago.
    I was browsing through this thread again and noticed I had stated "movie" instead of "book" and there was no visible edit button to correct it, so I'm changing it with a reply Elle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pri...ss_Jean_Brodie

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie is a novella by Muriel Spark, appearing first in The New Yorker and later published by Macmillan in 1961. By far the best-known of her books, the bizarre, unforgettable character of Miss Jean Brodie helped make Spark internationally famous and a leading figure in modern Scottish literature.
    It was adapted into a stage play in 1968, a film starring Maggie Smith in 1969, and a TV serial in 1978.
    elle: The RST can't handle the truth!
    Just my opinion.

bump

Quote Originally Posted by Cranberry View Post
    bump
    Hello there, Cranberry! Welcome back! Do you have something else to tell us about this book and movie ... "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie?"
    Just my opinion.

Default Watched the movie this afternoon

and my! it was strange! Of course I'm sure the book went into much greater detail, it was only a 2 hour movie. No pineapples and cream showed up!

But one of the things that stood out for me was the scene where the Headmistress is confronting Jean Brodie with the letter that Sandy and Jenny wrote in the library. Brodie does some amateur handwriting analysis right there - saying it was obviously written by 2 different hands, and that they were 12 and not 9 when it was written.

It's a very strange movie, I don't know exactly what to call it - there were a couple of somewhat comic moments but it the end I wouldn't call it entertaining.
    "We're not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be." - C.S. Lewis

MY OPINIONS - DO NOT COPY THEM ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE INTERNET!

I can understand why you say this, heymom. To each his own! I would think it would be more enjoyable to the Brits, especially the Scots. There is so much more than just the movie itself when one sees a cobbled street or hill which one walked on many years ago, including the large stone buildings etc. This plus the familiarity of the school uniforms etc., etc., etc.

I thoroughly enjoyed the session here. I never read the book either. Saw the movie on the big screen many years ago and I also have the DVD.
    Just my opinion.

After going through most of this thread last night, I think the movie was very different from the book! The girls' characters are changed around in the movie - the wealthy girl was an orphan, Mary McGregor, who had a stammering problem but was never ridiculed by Brodie or Sandy. In fact she was new to the school but was immediately included in "the Brodie set." The girl named Jenny is the pretty one that Brodie selects to be her proxy with the art teacher. Miss McKay is much older than Brodie.

I take it that the movie was adapted from the play and not the book.

From the moment Maggie Smith opened her mouth, I thought of Robin Williams in "Mrs. Doubtfire." He sounded as if he were doing Maggie Smith playing Jean Brodie. An older Jean Brodie of course, but still...
    "We're not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be." - C.S. Lewis

MY OPINIONS - DO NOT COPY THEM ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE INTERNET!

Quote Originally Posted by heymom View Post
    After going through most of this thread last night, I think the movie was very different from the book! The girls' characters are changed around in the movie - the wealthy girl was an orphan, Mary McGregor, who had a stammering problem but was never ridiculed by Brodie or Sandy. In fact she was new to the school but was immediately included in "the Brodie set." The girl named Jenny is the pretty one that Brodie selects to be her proxy with the art teacher. Miss McKay is much older than Brodie.

I take it that the movie was adapted from the play and not the book.

From the moment Maggie Smith opened her mouth, I thought of Robin Williams in "Mrs. Doubtfire." He sounded as if he were doing Maggie Smith playing Jean Brodie. An older Jean Brodie of course, but still...
    I would say you went through this thread very thoroughly heymom. I did think the movie was different from the book and posted my thoughts. It was nice to see Mary McGregor was accepted into "the Brodie Set" in spite of her stammering. I couldn't stop laughing in the movie theatre when I first heard Mary McGregor saying to her pals. "I saw them k-k-kissing!"

I, on the other hand couldn't stand Robin Williams in this part as a Scottish housekeeper for Sally Fields ( his wife) in this movie To me it was overdone! However, I think I have the right to say this with my Scottish Irish background. :-)

Maggie Smith won the Oscar for playing Jean Brodie in 1969.

I think I would have had a great time if I had had a teacher like Miss Jean Brodie. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksetfly1pZs
    Just my opinion.